Can you Put Money into your Onboard Account Before you Board?

That's pretty much the question. I was hoping to pay for a spa reservation but they don't have the service listed (swedish massage-50 min). So, someone said I could put the money on my onboard account before boarding. Can I really do that and if so, how can I go about doing that? I made my reservation through RCCL.

Thanks in advance...

That's pretty much the question. I was hoping to pay for a spa reservation but they don't have the service listed (swedish massage-50 min). So, someone said I could put the money on my onboard account before boarding. Can I really do that and if so, how can I go about doing that? I made my reservation through RCCL.

Thanks in advance...

Call whoever you booked with (TA or RCI) and arrange an on board credit.

You will probably not see it on your ship account until late day 2 or day 3. Don't even ask until after dinner on day 2. Enjoy :)

Thanks in advance...

Call 800-722-5443 and ask to put credit on your account. Have your credit card ready.

Edited by clarea

Call whoever you booked with (TA or RCI) and arrange an on board credit.

You will probably not see it on your ship account until late day 2 or day 3. Don't even ask until after dinner on day 2. Enjoy :)

Ahhhhh ok...that is definitely a good thing to know because I'm sure the first thing I would do is check my onboard account, NOT see it, and then head to the long line on Day 1 LOL!

As long as it gets applied, that's all I care about.

Oh and I will have my credit card ready when I call. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Ahhhhh ok...that is definitely a good thing to know because I'm sure the first thing I would do is check my onboard account, NOT see it, and then head to the long line on Day 1 LOL!

As long as it gets applied, that's all I care about.

Oh and I will have my credit card ready when I call. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Sarah, I would also recommend that you have your booking number handy when calling to obtain the OBC. Also be sure to ask the rep for an email receipt of your purchase, and bring a copy of it with you on your cruise, just in case. :)

Sarah, I would also recommend that you have your booking number handy when calling to obtain the OBC. Also be sure to ask the rep for an email receipt of your purchase, and bring a copy of it with you on your cruise, just in case. :)

Ok...that is definitely a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure I'll be a bit nervous until the money hits my onboard account. I'll definitely request an email receipt and bring it with me. Thanks for that suggestion!

I love these boards. I can always find an answer and then some extra info that proves to be very helpful! Appreciate it!

Can we also do this ? From the uk ? :)

Yes, I believe someone from the UK has reported being able to do this. You would have to call your local Royal phone number for Gifts & Gear.

Can we also do this ? From the uk ? :)

I believe this is the customer service number (UK), and they can likely get you to the gifts department: +44 1932834330

Or you can try this email: infouk@rccl dot com.

Edited by jmf123

So, Has anyone pre purchased OBC form a non US$ currency.

I'm wondering what exchange rate they give. Is it the terrible one they give when you check the box to get them to do the exchange??????

Thanks

Raina

If you use a credit card, wouldn't the credit card provider be doing the currency exchange? That's what happens to us if we use our USD credit card to charge Euros.

In response to the op's question I just wanted to mention what I was told by a royal phone rep when I called yesterday. I was making my final payment and asked if I could also add money to an ob account. He said the only way to apply money to your ob account before the cruise is to purchase gift certificates through guest services (with your credit card) and ask them to apply to ob credit. Otherwise you have to go to guest services when you board with credit card or cash.

I reserved and paid for my cruise by phone, so maybe this makes a difference or maybe a different rep has different info.

Happy Cruising all!

In response to the op's question I just wanted to mention what I was told by a royal phone rep when I called yesterday. I was making my final payment and asked if I could also add money to an ob account. He said the only way to apply money to your ob account before the cruise is to purchase gift certificates through guest services (with your credit card) and ask them to apply to ob credit. Otherwise you have to go to guest services when you board with credit card or cash.

I reserved and paid for my cruise by phone, so maybe this makes a difference or maybe a different rep has different info.

Happy Cruising all!

Once again, someone is misinformed by an RCI rep. :rolleyes: As mentioned in clarea's post #3, you can call Gifts & Gear at (800) 722-5443 to purchase OBC. (Even if you've booked and paid for your cruise over the phone). In fact, the item number for OBC is #651, should you get a rep who isn't aware of it. OBC can be purchased up until a few days of your cruise.

The Cruise Vacation Gift Certificates are much more of a hassle to use, as many people don't realize the gift certificates need to be applied to their sailing within 10 days of departure.

southstaffs3, you're welcome! :)

Is there a problem with getting the massage on board and then going down to the pursers desk and paying for it with cash or debit card?

Nope...not a problem, but what I wanted to do is pay for it BEFORE boarding. One less charge on the account. that's the reason we started prepaying gratuities, wine packages, excursions. We pay for some of these things little by little before the cruise so there was less being charged to the onboard sea account. The spa charges are definitely among the most expensive. I have a nice little bonus coming in a couple of weeks so I was going to just make a reservation and pay for it right then. But since some of the spa stuff isn't available with a reservation, someone suggested taking the money and putting it our onboard account now.

Hmmm, edited to add...are you saying you can make the reservation and then go to the pursers desk, pay for it using a debit card or some other card not linked to your onboard account? I think it's still easier to apply it to my account beforehand. I try and avoid the guest services lines as much as possible.

Edited by slyster

jmf123- Thanks so much for the correct info- too bad one of Royal's own reps would give the wrong info. I'm still fairly new to cruising (and my first on RCL), so it's good to know I can count on someone from Cruise Critic to help me out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...I called the Gift and Gears department and was able to put money in the onboard account. I asked when the onboard credit would be put in the shipboard account and i was told 48-72 hours. So, all the info was spot on. thanks to everyone for their help!

P.S and they emailed my receipt!

Edited by slyster

• 4 years later...
Just a quick update...I called the Gift and Gears department and was able to put money in the onboard account. I asked when the onboard credit would be put in the shipboard account and i was told 48-72 hours. So, all the info was spot on. thanks to everyone for their help!

P.S and they emailed my receipt!

Is that time frame from when you called to put the money on your account or when you get on the ship? Sorry I'm confused, I just want to make sure my money is on my account day 1"

Is that time frame from when you called to put the money on your account or when you get on the ship? Sorry I'm confused, I just want to make sure my money is on my account day 1"

It does not matter if the money is in your account on day 1, which it won't be. They total up everything on the last day and subtract the OBC then.