Is flight time from FCO okay?

KieransMom

When will your ship start debarkation? It is an hour or so from the port to the airport. Most recommend at least 2 hours at the airport to get thru baggage check in, security and find your way to the gate. So you would have to be off the ship early enough to get your luggage, clear immigration and customs if needed) and get a car (you should book one in advance) and be on the way by 8:45 or so.

Just an aside note here...if you are going in high season you may want to give yourself more time at the airport especially if you have not flown out of FCO before.It can be daunting at times.If you can't get off by 8:00(and I mean 8) I'd say you are pushing it.

We are booked for an RCCL cruise from Civitevecchia, with flights from FCO. I called to double check and was told they don't recommend taking a flight any earlier than 1 pm if the ship docks at 8 a.m. Our last cruise from there, our ship docked at 5 am, and the earlier flight would have worked fine. I know things can go wrong with (1) time we dock (2) getting our luggage (3) any problem we could encounter on the road to FCO (4) any problem at the airport. We've decided to spend an extra night in Rome, just to make sure we won't be stressed, because there are very few afternoon flights to choose from. It doesn't hurt to think of spending just one more night in Rome having a nice glass of wine and people watching before going to have one last gelato :D.

For an 11:50 flight that is NOT going to the United States (or Israel) you should be fine. I would, however, choose to carry off my own luggage and hit the road as soon after 8 AM as possible, just to provide a little pad. It should only take an hour to reach the airport, so even after going through things at the port you ought to be there by 9:30 or 10 AM at the latest.

Archived