LHR->Harwich->Dublin transfers

DaveT65

I am considering Celebrity Infinity Norwegian Fjords out of Harwich NEXT July 4, 2014, and am looking for transfer - and hotel - suggestions.

We plan to arrive day early into LHR on a daytime flight from the USA, arriving 10 pm London time on a Thursday. Since we have been to London, I would just book an LHR hotel for the night and get a transfer to Harwich the next morning from the hotel. The cruise returns on Monday, July 14, 2014, and we are going to Ireland for a land tour starting Monday afternoon [or at dinner if we miss a city tour in the afternoon] out of Dublin. The obvious route is a return transfer to LHR, but I suspect we shouldn't book a flight to Dublin before Noon. Is there a better way? I see there is Southend Airport relatively close to Harwich, but current schedules [they don't go to July 14, 2013 yet] shows an AerLingus flight at 09:15, which unfortunately is too early I'm guessing, and the only other one at 15:10, later than I'd like and later than using LHR.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and comments. And thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I found Southend suggested for Harwich on a Bulletin Board, and didn't realize Stansted, which I had heard of but didn't check out, was a better choice. Plus, I was looking at Aer Lingus routes and didn't check out Ryanair.

Ryanair schedules aren't out yet for July 2014, but based on Summer 2013 and Spring 2014 schedules, the choices aren't optimum, but still may be a good solution for me. 09:55 departure is a bit early to make comfortably [sTN suggests 2 hour check-in], and 13:45 later than I'd like. But after reading MANY concerns about Monday a.m. traffic from Harwich to LHR, I just may do STN anyway. It would apparently make for a much less stressful morning.

One downside is the few flights out of STN. There are flights every hour from LHR to DUB. I assume Ryanair is an OK airline?

I will certainly pursue this. Thanks again.

Be very aware of Ryanair baggage policy. Prices are horrendous and limits are low. Limits are strictly enforced, as are carry on sizes and number of pieces allowed!

I would sooner walk to LHR for an Aer Lingus flight than get a Ryanair flight.

Having a play around on kayak.com. Couldn't do July '14, so used Feb '14 and there is an Air France flight from London City to Dublin at 1225 for £73. As previously said, I would avoid Ryanair bearing in mind you will have a fair bit of luggage. City airport isn't too bad to get to. It would mean getting the train from Harwich International (which is right besdie the ship) to Liverpool St and then using the DLR to London City...trip cost about £20. City airport is much easier to 'go through' than LHR, LGW or Stansted. Just thinking out loud!

Simon

Thanks for the tips, both pro and con, for these new-to-me options. I did read up on RyanAir Baggage policy, and it does sound problematic.

I found the train based route to London City, but it looks like it involves two transfers; am I correct? I'm not sure that would work with two 70's people with cruise luggage. Otherwise, using City sounds attractive.

OK, another way to do it. Don't go as far as Liverpool Street in London. Get the same train, but get off at Stratford (not Stratford International...its not the same station!). From Stratford (which is disabled friendly, so you should be OK) you can one hit it on the DLR to London City airport. If you could get the 0803 train from Harwich International, you won't have to change, but could go direct to Stratford. If you get a later train you will almost certainly have to change at Manningtree, but this is OK because all you have to do is get off, walk across the platform (20 feet) and get on another train. Remember our platforms are almost at door height unlike US trains, so you will only have to cope with one step up.

Simon

I am considering Celebrity Infinity Norwegian Fjords out of Harwich NEXT July 4, 2014, and am looking for transfer - and hotel - suggestions.

We plan to arrive day early into LHR on a daytime flight from the USA, arriving 10 pm London time on a Thursday. Since we have been to London, I would just book an LHR hotel for the night and get a transfer to Harwich the next morning from the hotel. The cruise returns on Monday, July 14, 2014, and we are going to Ireland for a land tour starting Monday afternoon [or at dinner if we miss a city tour in the afternoon] out of Dublin. The obvious route is a return transfer to LHR, but I suspect we shouldn't book a flight to Dublin before Noon. Is there a better way? I see there is Southend Airport relatively close to Harwich, but current schedules [they don't go to July 14, 2013 yet] shows an AerLingus flight at 09:15, which unfortunately is too early I'm guessing, and the only other one at 15:10, later than I'd like and later than using LHR.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and comments. And thanks in advance.

Have you considered getting picked up by private car at LHR and then spending a very relaxing afternoon in Harwich. We stayed at the Premier Inn for a song in June. Only about 7 pounds to the port from the hotel and we were onboard before 11:00. Not having to worry about traffic is great the day before you board. I've also travelled from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich.

I like your idea, but we will be arriving at Heathrow around 10 PM London time, not in the afternoon.

Since the drive to Harwich on embarkation day morning would be outbound from London, I'm guessing that the traffic concern is less? Would you suggest getting a car and going to Harwich to stay overnight rather than stay at Heathrow and going to Harwich in the morning?

Simon,

I checked flights from London City to Dublin, and there are a couple of AirFrance possibilities listed for 6 months out, but not yet posted for July 2014. I would not consider anything but nonstop because of the risk of connection problems. I would just bite the bullet and go to LHR.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I will keep this possibility in mind.

Sorry. I misunderstood that you would be arriving the late pm. In that case, I would just book a hotel at LHR. Anything could cause to arrive even later and there may not be cars available to get you to Harwich. There are free busses that can get you to Ring Road (I think that's the name) where you find so many hotels. We encountered some slow traffic when we left LHR around 9:00am but we were at our Harwich hotel (about a mile from the pier) by 11:00.

Sorry. I misunderstood that you would be arriving the late pm. In that case, I would just book a hotel at LHR. Anything could cause to arrive even later and there may not be cars available to get you to Harwich. There are free busses that can get you to Ring Road (I think that's the name) where you find so many hotels. We encountered some slow traffic when we left LHR around 9:00am but we were at our Harwich hotel (about a mile from the pier) by 11:00.

• 1 month later...

I hope that some who responded previously are still lurking, as I appreciate your comments.

I haven't posted in more than a month, but in that time DID book the cruise. In addition, I have been studying flight/airport options as we have been discussing. My goal in looking at these options was to get to Dublin by Noon or 1:00 pm. It really appears that that is not realistic. The only possible combo that works is to get to Stansted for a 9:55 am RyanAir flight, and several have cautioned against RyanAir with cruise luggage. The AirFrance schedules out of London City are still not out for July, but the only non-stops that show now leave at 12:25 and then 3:10. Southend has AerLingus at 9:15 am, but that looks too early even for Southend. Would be great if it was 10:15!

I guess what I am saying is that Heathrow looks like the safest alternative, with MANY flights; problem, of course, is getting there and not being able to leave until probably Noon at the very earliest. But there are flights at Noon, 1:30, 2:05, 2:15, 3:50. So once I get there, I have lots of backup. Gatwick does have AerLingus at 1:30, but the next one, should there be a problem, is 5:30. Is the "simpler" trip to LGW as opposed to LHR worth it? LGW is cheaper. LHR has lots of transfer options, including the cruise line's.

So, I appreciate, and thank you for, any and all comments.

Don't forget we are talking about travelling on a Monday, partly in rush hour. Having said that, if you can get the 0803 train (which will mean a walk off disembark) you can 'bags' your seat all the way to London as you won't have to change at Manningtree (as the later trains do). This would get you into Liverpool St about 0930. Grab a cab to London Bridge station ( this will be much easier than negotiating the tube for the relatively short distance, though will cost around £10) and get the First Capital Connect train to Gatwick airport. They run every half hour at 12 and 42 past and get you in 28 minutes later, so if you can get the 0803 you could be at Gatwick at 1110 (the next one arriving at 1140)(or possibly 1040 if you can get the 1012 London Bridge train). That might be too tight for your liking for the 1330 plane...I guess it depends how exciting/stressful a life you want to lead!!:D

Simon

You'd be very hard-pressed to get to LHR for an 1105 flight. Harwich is 70 miles NE of London, LHR is 15 miles W of London.

Guess I was thinking they could get to LHR for 9am ..did not realize it could take more than 2 hrs from Harwich to LHR :eek:

We made it from Dover to LHR in less than 2 hrs

You'd be very hard-pressed to get to LHR for an 1105 flight. Harwich is 70 miles Northeast of London, LHR is 15 miles West of London.

Personally I'd see if there was anything out of LCY.

Hello, Scottbee,

I have never heard of this airport. What does LCY stand for??? :confused:

I need to fly from LAX > London about Wednesday 13 August to arrive in London and then get a Taxi directly to DOVER. I have a booking at the Churchill in Dover for 3 nights pre-cruise.

The Crystal Symphony disembarks in Dublin, where I will stay for 7 days and fly home on 1 September.

What Airlines and Airports should I use? Thank you for your help.

Donna I.

Simon,

When you read my comment, you will surely think I have rejected all of your suggestions, but that isn't true. Your comments have really helped me to evaluate all of the possibilities. Many thanks.

My wife and I would have problems doing a walk-off, dealing with our large luggage [we will be gone for more than 2 weeks total and we are not light packers, so 2 large cases + 2 carry-ons], and even negotiating what sounds like a very reasonable train plan would be problematic for us. Since even that has me missing my target of getting to Dublin in the early afternoon, it seems to me that just biting the bullet and getting a bus transfer [via Celebrity or on our own] to LHR is just the "easiest".

What would be a reasonable earliest time to schedule the flight to Dublin out of Heathrow, given that it is a Monday morning for travel? Would allowing 3 hrs travel + 2 hours check-in be enough? We would still request the earliest regular disembarkation. Seems like 1:00 or 2:00 would be doable? And as I stated earlier, at least LHR offers plenty of back-up options, assuming space is available but I suspect it would be on such a "commuter" route.

Thanks again to all who offered help. It really allows me to make an informed choice.

John Bull (if he is lurking on here) and I are both professional drivers and have agreed several times that quite often the cruise line coach transfer makes sense at Harwich as it is such a pain to get to/from. As I said, Monday morning will be a mega rush hour and you will have to cope with the A12 toward London and then Europes largest car park (the M25) round to Heathrow. Normally you can do it in just over 2 hours; Monday say 3 hours; allow 4 hours as if there is an accident it will be grid lock! I certainly wouldn't go for anything before 2pm out of LHR (depending on your coach departure time). Its the only problem with Harwich...its a pain to get to/from!

Simon

Hello, Scottbee,

I have never heard of this airport. What does LCY stand for??? :confused:

I need to fly from LAX > London about Wednesday 13 August to arrive in London and then get a Taxi directly to DOVER. I have a booking at the Churchill in Dover for 3 nights pre-cruise.

The Crystal Symphony disembarks in Dublin, where I will stay for 7 days and fly home on 1 September.

What Airlines and Airports should I use? Thank you for your help.

Donna I.

LCY = London City Airport; located on the east side of downtown London. While there is only one transatlantic flight from LCY (and it's only business class only to JFK); there is quite a bit of European service. It's also significantly closer to Harwich than LHR.

(Note, London has 6 airports in the same way the LA area has 5..)

Simon,

I should have asked, but forgot:

Though I said I would not be interested in going to LGW for a 1330 flight to DUB by train, would it be worthwhile to consider coach, or private, transfer to LGW? Is the traffic situation better to LGW?

I am still reluctant because the backup flight out of LGW is not until 1730 [on AerLingus - there are a couple of RyanAir flights between]. It is also cheaper to use LGW on AerLingus versus LHR on either AerLingus or British Air.

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience.

To be honest Dave, its not really worth it. LGW is marginally closer (by 5 miles!), but that side of the M25 is just as prone to hold ups. Unless the flight from LGW was megabucks cheaper than out of LHR, you are better off with LHR with the choice of back up flights.

Simon

Your best bets still remain (to reduce the transfer time)

SEN - London Southend, and;

LCY - London City

of all the airports, (increasing distance from Harwich),

STN/London Stansted is closest but that would involve flying RyanAir (ugh)

SEN/London Southend (Aer Lingus)

LCY/London City

LGW/London Gatwick; and then

LHR/London Heathrow;

NWI/Norwich is also closer than LGW and LHR, but doesn't serve DUB