Svalbard: 'In the realm of the polar bear'

digitl

Having been to Antarctica on Fram I would be interested to know if there are any significant differences (other than the obvious!) we might want to be aware of on this northernmost trip.

We have our cold weather gear from the Antarctic trip and are well aware of the routine on Fram but are curious to know just how the weather might vary from Antarctica and how the different types of landing might change what we need to take ashore.

I have done both a trip to Antarctica (Feb 2009) and to Svalbard (Sept 2011) with MS Fram.

Weatherwise, it was colder in Antarctica, but we had a much nicer weather. In Svalbard we had overcast skies during the whole trip and even one day of non-stop fog (except a pretty magical and short-leave clearing in front of a glacier). I think in general there is less wind in Svalbard (but you still can get a storm if you are lucky! ;) ).

Still it is a pretty great memory, even though any trip after Antarctica is a bit "difficult", so go with an open mind. It will be different (but exciting).

The landings are not that different from Antarctica, except in the few places where you can actually dock (Longyearbyen, Barentsburg, Ny Alesund, and that's it). In those three places you can forego the waterproof pants and muck boots and go with hiking shoes, otherwise all the landings will be "wet" landings with the PolarCirkle boats. The difference in the landings is also the constant look-out for polar bears by the Expedition team and some landings can be cut short because of that. Another difference : no snow/ice in the landings most of the time, you walk on bare ground or rocks or very short grass (but it can be wet/muddy).

I'm really glad I have done that trip, I had a real feeling of being in the High Arctic. You can have a look at my pictures in my blog starting here (but I'm sorry the text is in French only, you can maybe use Google-translate if needed).

If you have other questions I'll be happy to try and answer them. Have a great time!

Thanks, that was really useful! It looks as though we'll simply take what we took to Antarctica and will follow the same routine on Fram.

As for polar bears, we'll be looking out for them too. Fingers crossed there will be plenty of them!

• 2 months later...
Fingers crossed there will be plenty of them!

I hope you will see them, but if there are to many you can't get ashore... happend to us. ;-) On our 11 night svalbard cruise with MS Quest we had to do "zodiac-cruises only" on 5 (out of 13) planned landings.

Route here: http://sniederer.k-i-s.ch/2011.08/images/2872%20(Landungsstellen).jpg

Pictures starting here: http://sniederer.k-i-s.ch/2011.08/index.html

Edited by crizzlyhug

• 3 weeks later...
I hope you will see them, but if there are to many you can't get ashore... happend to us. ;-) On our 11 night svalbard cruise with MS Quest we had to do "zodiac-cruises only" on 5 (out of 13) planned landings.

We saw two adults and one cub.

One adult, alone, stopped the landing at Kapp Lee.

The other adult at Magdalena Fjord with its cub, was across an inlet and only came close after we had finished at the landing. We slowed our departure for a great view!

It's ironic that the creature so many of us want to see, actually cancels reasonably close-up viewing unless it's close to the ship onshore or on an ice floe.