Carnival Conquest July 28th - Best Carnival Cruise Ever?

hayesktrm

We just got back from our cruise on the Conquest. Going on the cruise were my DH, DS (20), DD (16) and DS’s GF and me. I always enjoy reading about people’s pre-cruise, so I have included our trip to NOLA, too. The rest of us have been on many cruises, but DS’s GF had never been on a cruise, so it was especially fun seeing it through her eyes.

Our DS does not like to fly, so we chose a port we could easily drive to from Indiana. We were actually happy we decided to drive because I was looking at airline tickets and it would have been very expensive for all of us to fly. We had always wanted to see NOLA, so this was a great choice.

We left the morning of July 25th, the Thursday before the cruise. We stopped after about 8 hours in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The drive was uneventful. We forced the kids to watch old episodes of ALF and WKRP in Cincinatti on the way. They had fun making fun of the clothes and the way they talked.

We stayed in a Comfort Suites. The room was nice, but we did have some issues with the place. First of all, they sent us an email with the property address. I clicked on that to bring up google maps when we got closer so it would take us right there. Well, the address was wrong and ended up taking us somewhere else about 25 minutes away. When we arrived at the address we called the hotel because we assumed they didn’t have their hotel in a warehouse. They apologized and we were on our way again with the correct address. So we added about an hour to our already long day. When I checked in she apologized again and I said, “That’s okay, I will just jump in the Jacuzzi and all will be right with the world.” Ooops, it turns out that they took out their Jacuzzi, but failed to change this on their website. I was disappointed, but that’s okay, I could still go use their gym. Their gym was awful. Either the equipment wasn’t working or it was just plain dangerous. We gave up after a few minutes. We went to dinner at Jason’s Deli, which has a little something for everyone. We especially like it because you get soft serve ice cream with every meal. It was a great way to get ready for all the ice cream and frozen yogurt we would eat on the cruise. The breakfast was fine and we were ready to get going to NOLA! Wait, I told my family, I want to discuss all the problems I had with this place with the manager (I really thought they needed to address the address thing right away). They all teased me about it and said they would just give me lip service. The manager again apologized and credited us $45. See kids, it does pay to complain. I wasn’t asking for anything, so I thought it was very nice she made this gesture.

So, on to NOLA! It took us another 5 hours to reach the hotel. We stayed at the Marriott Convention Center. We thought the hotel was beautiful and, if you used the trolley, convenient to everything. We had points to pay for one night and the next night I got a rate that included parking for the entire cruise for $149! I thought that this was a great rate. We did have to catch a cab to the pier ($45 plus tip) for less than mile (yikes!), but we had a lot luggage. If we had to do it again, we would have dropped our stuff off at the terminal and then return the car to the valet and walk over. On our return, my DD and I walked back to the hotel, picked up the car and picked up the rest of the family and our luggage (very easy walk).

Our room wasn’t ready, so we walked over the Gordan Biersh for lunch. My DD is a vegetarian and they had a nice menu just for the vegetarians, so that was nice. For lunch, I thought it was very expensive. I only had soup and water and the bill came to over a $100 for the 5 of us. The food was fine, just not for that amount of money, and especially for lunch. We then went back to the hotel and the room was ready. It was a very nice room, with no view whatsoever.

127.jpg

We then decided to be tourists and go to Bourbon Street. What were we thinking??? I am no prude, and either are my kids, but we DID NOT like Bourbon Street. The smell and the sights were just a little too much for us. Not a great first impression for us.

128.jpg

After walking a few blocks, we decided to find Café Du Monde and try some beignets. My DD was a bit grumpy at this time (due to seeing the half naked women and listening to all they had to offer) and I hoped the beignets would help. Nope…I forgot she’s a bit of a health nut. The rest of us thoroughly enjoyed them. I think you got 3 for $2.42. Note, if you get them from the “to go” window, you need to pay with cash.

129.jpg

We then went back to the hotel where my DD used the very nice fitness center and I looked for the whirlpool they advertised in info book they have in the hotel room. This was becoming a theme…there was no whirlpool. We joked that we would probably board the ship and all the hot tubs would be closed. We had a snack and went to bed.

Today we had reserved a cemetery tour that we got through Groupon. It lasted about 2 hours. Our guide was Trevor and he was wonderful. Funny, informative, etc. He pointed out Nicholas Cage’s future gravesite and had other wonderful stories to tell.

134.jpg

135.jpg

It rained off and on throughout the tour, but nothing too bad. We had lunch and jumped on the trolley to see the Garden District. The trolley is a great deal. For $3/each you can purchase their Jazz pass. You can use the pass for any of their busses or trolleys. We used it a lot.

131.jpg

The Garden District is beautiful! For dinner we went to the Crazy Lobster. We had a Groupon, so it ended up only costing about $75 and we had drinks and an appetizer. We had a really obnoxious family next to us, so that ruined it a little, but the food was pretty good. We walked around some more and then went to bed. Tomorrow, we would be getting on a cruise!!!

We got up early to pack and then we caught a cab around 10:45 am (it took a little while because we had to sit at the port in the cab due to traffic). Let me tell you, Faster to the Fun is WONDERFUL!! We were treated so nicely and everything was so easy. We walked right up, got our sail and sign cards and went to sit down in a special area. I think we were on the ship by 11:30 am or so.

Then came some sad news. I had heard about a bus crash in Indiana near our house and I had a feeling I knew a mom that would be on that bus because she went to that church and was very active in it. I didn’t have names at this point. Well, we got on the ship and my DD, not remembering the name I had told her, told me who had died (from a twitter notification). One of the dead was the mom of a former student of mine in a special ed class. I was with him for 5 years, so I really got to know the family. Right there in the lobby I started crying. I called my dear friend (and former co-worker) and she felt terrible I found out right before the cruise. I think her words were, “Oh, sweetie, I didn’t want to tell you and ruin your cruise.” What a sweet friend. I called my mom and cried a while and then decided that life is short and that I needed to enjoy this time with my family…you just never know. I knew that I would come back and try to do what I could to help the family, but on the cruise, I did my best to enjoy myself. I'm sure some of you heard about this tragedy on the national news. They were all such wonderful people. I am still having trouble grasping what has happened. I did a lot of praying for the families of the victims on this cruise. :(

Back to Faster to the Fun…we used it so many times. We needed to switch rooms, so we used it to do that. We had traveler’s checks so we used it every time we cashed some before going in to port, we used it when we went into Belize and we used it when we had to complain about Trevor (not the tour guide—more on Trevor later). We also loved that we were able to go directly to our cabin and drop off all our stuff before getting lunch. It was the best $49.95 we spent!

Even though I hadn’t had breakfast I still wasn’t hungry from the bad news, but I did try some Guy’s fries. I only went there one other time the whole cruise, but it was good! We went back, unpacked and relaxed for a while. Then it was muster time. We try to wait a few minutes to go so we’re not in back, and so we only had to wait a few minutes for it to start and it was pretty quick.

We then went to a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. We met some really nice people there. I forgot my beads, but was happy some other cruise critic people remembered theirs so I was able to find them.

About this time we met Trevor’s family. This family would be our nightmare the entire cruise. I would not be surprised if they were asked never to come back again. Our first meeting was with Trevor’s brother. He was in the hall banging on people’s doors and yelling “room service.” I went out and asked him to stop. His sister told him he needed to stop. I went out exploring the ship and my DH (he hadn’t heard that this happened) heard the same thing. He went out into the hall, bent down and asked them to stop. He didn’t yell or threaten. He just asked them to stop. In both cases, no parent was present. Well, the dad now was out in the hall and started yelling at my DH for talking to his kids. He grabbed and pushed my DH. He then said, something like “You must be the SOB that reported my son to security!” To which my DH said, “No, but I guess I’m the SOB who is now going to security to report you.” I believe they were reported many times throughout the week by different people. Security was great throughout the whole week and kept calling to check to make sure things were okay. More on this later.

Our cabin: 2336. Kids had adjoining cabin 2332.

138.jpg

139.jpg

I was on this cruise and stayed at Quality Inn Westbank, Gretna, so I could park my car during the week. I think they are one of the few with a shuttle both directions.

I had a few issues with my hotel room too. The tub was dripping and stuck so I closed the door. It locked!!!! I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and couldnt get into the bathroom. hahahhahahaha

I too thought this was one of my best cruises on the Conquest. The weather was so nice and breezy. I live in Dallas and was surprised on the upside how nice the weather was. Its 100 degrees here but was much nicer on the cruise. Nice break from the heat.

I had a great cabin steward and waiter as well.

Hopefully they came quickly to unlock your door :eek:!

Our cabin steward wasn't that great. We never really saw him. I am used to overly friendly stewards, so this was a bit different. Also, the tv area was dusty and the toilet could have been cleaned better. However, everything else was handled perfectly.

We got ready for dinner and headed on down. Our waiter was Asep and he was probably the best waiter we have had in years! Our food was always hot and cold when they needed to be, he got our orders correct and he was super nice. The last night we all gave him hugs and I told him he was the best waiter we have had in a long time. He was touched and appreciated the extra tip. DS’s GF LOVED the food. They are poor college students so they really loved all the “free” food and the fact that they didn’t have to prepare the food or do the dishes. I love grateful children! My DS and DS’s GF are picky eaters and I thought it was so great that they tried so many new things. They even tried the escargot, even though they have a pet snail in their fish tank. I thought the portion sizes were just fine (or even a little too big for us). They were so nice to my vegetarian DD and she could always find something she liked.

140.jpg

141.jpg

We went to the Welcome Aboard show (same as always pretty much), went in the hot tub where we met a very drunk and animated couple, and went to bed.

Hopefully they came quickly to unlock your door :eek:!

Our cabin steward wasn't that great. We never really saw him. I am used to overly friendly stewards, so this was a bit different. Also, the tv area was dusty and the toilet could have been cleaned better. However, everything else was handled perfectly.

No I went to the public rest room and had to get dressed, so I was up about 4 am the morning of the cruise.

I never did get it unlocked. They said a maintenance man would have the key.

I had a few issues on the cruise. My sprinkler dripped water when it was rained the day we boarded. My electric connection was quite loose and my cabin steward showed me to turn around the plug and it would stay in, but still it should have been tighter.

But the cruise itself I thought was particularly good. We got the good spot to dock in Jamaica for instance. Conquest the last two times parked around the corner and we had to take a shuttle to where that port building was and tip the driver. Magic parked where we were.

Great photos. Thank you for sharing. I am enjoying your review. I will be on the Conquest 9-1 to Key West and the Bahamas. I have a crazy question. I see this initials DH all the time...what is DH, DD and DS? Are they the initials of someones name or do they stand for something else?

Our last four cruises have been out of NOLA, the last one was on the Conquest. Like you we drove to NOLA, unlike you we liked bourbon street. We didn't have kids with us though, and if we did our daughter is 23 so prolly would have liked it to. Same as firefly we stayed at Quality Inn in Gretna. Conquest was one of our favorite ships. The first night in the MDR the service was pretty bad, after a talk with the maitre'd the other nights were better. No other complaints about the cruise or ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great photos. Thank you for sharing. I am enjoying your review. I will be on the Conquest 9-1 to Key West and the Bahamas. I have a crazy question. I see this initials DH all the time...what is DH, DD and DS? Are they the initials of someones name or do they stand for something else?

Hey plattwear, i will be on that cruise also. I'm not sure if you've been to our roll call but we have a meet & greet set up for the 1st sea day @ 2:00 at the back lido bar. I hope you can attend.

Hey plattwear, i will be on that cruise also. I'm not sure if you've been to our roll call but we have a meet & greet set up for the 1st sea day @ 2:00 at the back lido bar. I hope you can attend.

We will beon the Conquest in October. We are doing the Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel route. Looking forward to reading more of your reveiw!

Thanks, Disneynut1966 for the review so far -- I am enjoying it!

Trevor (kid not the guide) and his dad are the worst kind of nightmare -- spolied brat with lazy, hostile parents -- yikes!:mad:

Re: NOLA -- we have been there many, many times and I always tell people: Bourbon Street is not New Orleans! :eek: We always avoid it, too! There are so many other fabulous areas of the French Quarter with lovely shops, art galleries, interesting people! If you go again poke around on Chartres and Royal Streets, and all of the little alleyways by St. Louis cathedral.

Looking forward to more review!:)

My DW and I were on this cruise with you. Very excited to read your review of this excellent vacation! (Ran into a kid in an elevator that was quite annoying and very rude. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same you had trouble with.)

Day 2 – Day at Sea

DD and I got up early. She ran a couple miles on the track and I walked probably not even a mile. We then got dressed and went to the dining room. Thankfully no comedians. I had the funny French toast minus the funny part (I don’t really get fruit loops on French toast, but whatever), hash browns and sausage. The service was good.

I think I laid out in the sun and read. Later, DH and I went to tea time. I love tea time. Good food and a chance to meet some really nice people. We met a nice woman that used to live in Washington, where we were born and raised. It was so fun to talk about all things Seattle. I’m not sure why I love going to tea time and sitting with total strangers, and hate it for dinner, but that’s just the way I am. Oh, by the way, we had requested a table for 5 before the cruise and they came through for us. Wonderful table! We had dinner then went to see Divas. I know there are a lot of people who HATE the new shows, but I really liked them. I thought they were pretty innovative. I was tired of the old shows, so it was nice to see something new. John Heald said that these shows cost more than the others and after seeing all the graphics, I think I believe him. Do I wish there were more dancers and singers, yes…but it was just fine. I really didn’t miss the live music for the shows. I then took my DS’s GF to the slot machines to show her how to gamble. I gave her $10. She played once, won 82 cents and said she was done. Good girl! She kept the 82 cents and gave me back my $10.

Tonight DS and DSGF decided to have a bit to drink. They have never really gotten REALLY drunk before so I guess they decided tonight would be the night. Carnival did serve my under 21 year old alcohol when DSGF bought it. His birthday is in about a month, so I really didn’t care, but others should be aware that their kids could get alcohol if they look 21. They only had 2 drinks each, but they both had a lot of alcohol in them. I never saw them, but I guess they came back to their cabin and my DS got sick (many times). The good news is my DD got to see all of this. DS kept saying to her, “Don’t ever drink!” They swore off alcohol and actually didn’t have anything until the last day at sea. They each got a Miami Vice with the free drink coupons we got for being gold. Lesson learned. DSGF didn’t get sick until the morning. She actually looked green and wasn’t quite right until 2 days later. I think some of her problem was sea sickness. Meanwhile, DH and I went to see the comedy show. We saw one adult and one family during the cruise. Both were pretty good.

Random pictures

944594_10201347430309928_1322887608_n.jpg

1098219_10201349797049095_515951842_n.jpg

1016982_10201347434470032_651480596_n.jpg

Day 3 – Day at Sea

I can’t remember what we did today. I know DD went to Club O2 and I spent some time in the sun. Regarding Club O2, this was a much better experience for DD than last year. I guess it all depends on the kids involved. Last year she was offered drugs..after that she pretty much didn’t go back. She didn’t tell me this until a few weeks ago. This year the only really bad thing she saw was a girl giving a guy a lap dance on the first night…nice, right? The girls she hung out with seemed very nice. She is keeping in touch with them and just told me that one of her new friend’s cats flooded their bathroom while they were gone. Our cats were very well behaved while we were gone!

We went to the Steakhouse tonight. Usually only my DH and I go, but since we thought it might be our last family vacation, we decided to have the kids join us. DS was feeling much better so he ate a lot, but DD and DSGF were both a little sick, DD from seasickness and DSGF from seasickness and from being hung over. As always, it was really good and the service was wonderful.

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

We were too full to have dessert, so they very kindly offered to make them "to-go." We enjoyed them later in the night.

I believe it was Brits tonight. I really liked it except for a huge pause where they just played a cartoon on the screen (clothing change?). DS and DSGF didn’t care for it. Then it was off to bed to get ready for Roatan.

My DW and I were on this cruise with you. Very excited to read your review of this excellent vacation! (Ran into a kid in an elevator that was quite annoying and very rude. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same you had trouble with.)

I wouldn't be surprised either. I'm glad your family had fun, too!

I will be sailing the Conquest on 9/8 and am also staying at the Marriott Convention center. Glad to hear you liked it. I actually booked it on priceline for $60! I'm enjoying your review so far!

Wow, $60!! Let me know if you have any questions. If you don't have a lot of luggage, it's quite easy just to walk. I can give you directions.

Thanks, Disneynut1966 for the review so far -- I am enjoying it!

Trevor (kid not the guide) and his dad are the worst kind of nightmare -- spolied brat with lazy, hostile parents -- yikes!:mad:

Re: NOLA -- we have been there many, many times and I always tell people: Bourbon Street is not New Orleans! :eek: We always avoid it, too! There are so many other fabulous areas of the French Quarter with lovely shops, art galleries, interesting people! If you go again poke around on Chartres and Royal Streets, and all of the little alleyways by St. Louis cathedral.

Looking forward to more review!:)

I agree with everything you said!

If we went back to NOLA, it would just be me and my DH. I think we would enjoy all the things you mentioned.

Day 4 – Roatan

We got the kids up early and headed to the buffet for breakfast. I’m not a huge fan of their buffet, but I always found something I liked. I’m glad someone on CC suggested getting scrambled eggs from the Omelet Bar. They were really good. I didn’t think the lines for the Omelet Bar were that long. The only times we encountered long lines at the buffet were on port days. Everyone was getting off at the same time and wanting to have a big breakfast beforehand.

I had done a lot of research and decided to book a private tour with Victor Bodden. We have been to Roatan before and only went ziplining across the street from the cruise center. I wanted to explore more of the island this time. Because there were 5 of us, it was only a few dollars more to have a private driver for the day. That seemed like a no-brainer to me. We agreed on ziplining at Victor’s place, visiting the monkeys and then going to the beach. We did ziplining first. Last time we went ziplining, we think my DH might have had a heart issue (he did not do well and then had a full blown heart attack a few months later) so we didn’t allow him to do this part. He was perfectly fine watching us from the viewer area.

IMG_0092.jpg

I think there were 14 different lines. They were pretty mild compared to others on the island, but it was the perfect speed for us. DSGF had never been ziplining, so it was a great new experience for her. The guides were a lot of fun and teased us a lot. I would be just about to jump off the platform and they would yell, WAIT! Scared the heck out of me, but then we would all just laugh. I’m sure they don’t do this with everyone (some people might not think it’s funny). DD went upside down once, but the rest of us were too chicken. On one of the last lines, they had a couple people go at the same time. This was a lot of fun.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

The walks between the lines were much easier than the one we went on last time. I would highly recommend this, especially for first-timers or those with smaller children.

Archived