what jacket for Quebec City in mid Oct?

While trying to figure out what to take on a New England to Quebec City cruise, I read that temps in Quebec City in October will be 36 - 50F (2-10C) with 4 or 5 inches of rain for the month. does this sound right? I will only have a carry-on bag so not much room for cool weather clothes. should I bring a lightly lined marginally water resistant hooded jacket, an unlined rain proof hooded jacket, or a non rain resistant hooded fleece? I'll just have lightweight shirts as I'm going to Greece first but should I bring a turtleneck or a warmer top? thanks for any jacket advice or help with my packing decisions. Vicki

yes, that would seem to be the thing that makes the most sense. for some reason, I just today bought the unlined waterproof before I found that the temps would be so cool. at this point, I was hoping to not have to buy another new jacket so will probably take the lightly lined marginally water resistant thing. thanks for the suggestion - wish I had the perfect thing. Vicki

yes, that would seem to be the thing that makes the most sense. for some reason, I just today bought the unlined waterproof before I found that the temps would be so cool. at this point, I was hoping to not have to buy another new jacket so will probably take the lightly lined marginally water resistant thing. thanks for the suggestion - wish I had the perfect thing. Vicki

If you have a sweater you can always put it on as well for warmth

Oct is iffy weather wise

Never can find the perfect jacket ...I have a bunch but not the RIGHT one ;)

enjoy

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting the idea that the temp could be over 50, probably not under 36(?), and also that it could be quite rainy. is it typically a misty rain or more like a hard rain where you really need something waterproof rather than resistant? I'll probably agonize until the last minute. it's hard to think of bulky clothes when packing for Greece so buying something when there may be what I end up doing. thanks again, Vicki

I was there last October. It was rainy and cooler but not cold. I got a LOT of use out of a nice fleece vest on that cruise. I bought a couple of nice long sleeved shirts and then layered over with the vest.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving on the Crown Princess in October 2009 we spent two days prior in Quebec City. The first day was a gorgeous sunny fall day, the next a driving blizzard with 6 to 8 inches of snow covering pretty leaves! Ya just never know!

We were in Old Quebec City pre cruise and post cruise in mid Oct last year. The weather was clear, cold and windy......as well as rainy cold and windy. The rain was much more than a mist...matter of fact an umbrella was tricky to manage! something with a hood was much more useful. in the afternoon in protected places it felt warm out in the sun. One definitely needs to be prepared for wind chill. Definitely bring gloves as you will be needing them in other ports as well. I wore my ugg fur lined boots for my entire cruise on and off the ship. My feet were warm and toasty. :)

Archived