FREE Beaches?

jaxfl

Have plans for Belize and Roantan and Costa Maya... but Cozumel has me just wanting to chill and do a little snorkeling from the beach. My question is are there any good snorkeling beaches in Cozumel that are FREE and also have some eating and drinking places close by. In Nassua on the other side of the Hilton is a free beach about a 10 minute walk from the ship and there is a couple of shacks that sell cold beer/booze and food. I am hoping to find something like that in Cozumel.

Thanks for the help.

Beaches with nice sand and waves generaly have poor snorkeling -- cloudy water and no reefs for the smaller fish. The best shore snorkeling we have found in Coz is at the Money Bar; about a $10 cab ride from the port areas (for up to 4 in the cab ;)), great snorkeling, good food/drinks/service, rental gear and guides available, and a sandy area (but not a beach!) for sunning and relaxing.

www.moneybarbeachclub.com

Good luck! :)

All of the beaches in Mexico are public property. It is just the chairs, umbrellas and other stuff that are privately owned by the beach clubs, condos, hotels etc. You could put your towel down on any of the beaches.

Just south of Chank is Playa Cornona. It's not "free" but only a small admission charge ( at one time it was around $2 pp). Last of the better iron shore snorkeling on the West side. Small beach but they do sell food and drink and have umbrellas and palapas for shading. Usually gets passed over by cruisers as no excursions originate or end there, so is relatively uncrowded.

Just south of P. Corona is a series of public accesses to the some relatively unspoiled beaches and to snorkeling, between P.Corona and the Regency Club. Be aware there's no facililties here so you'll have to head back to P. C. or see if the Regnecy club will sell you anything.

I think the info crewsweeper just gave you is as good as "cheap" is gonna get. (there is no FREE in Cozumel. You at least have to spring for a cab and some food at the cheapest places.)

Better "free" beach days to be had in Roatan or Costa Maya than Cozumel.

Bill

All of the beaches in Mexico are public property. It is just the chairs, umbrellas and other stuff that are privately owned by the beach clubs, condos, hotels etc. You could put your towel down on any of the beaches.

Just south of Chank is Playa Cornona. It's not "free" but only a small admission charge ( at one time it was around $2 pp). Last of the better iron shore snorkeling on the West side. Small beach but they do sell food and drink and have umbrellas and palapas for shading. Usually gets passed over by cruisers as no excursions originate or end there, so is relatively uncrowded.

Just south of P. Corona is a series of public accesses to the some relatively unspoiled beaches and to snorkeling, between P.Corona and the Regency Club. Be aware there's no facililties here so you'll have to head back to P. C. or see if the Regnecy club will sell you anything.

Thank you for a new place to research! :D

Cheap, easy snorkle with cheap eats and drinks.

Leave the pier turn left (north) stay on the waters side walk and go a couple of blocks. La Palapatia,La Hach, Poppa Hogs all you need is right there.Great little places, board walk out to pier with stairs to enter water, a shower for rinsing, clean restrooms,sun or shaded chairs and loungers (a few ) Good food and really nice local folks. You can even get a massage!

We'll be there 8/27 Elation.

I think the info crewsweeper just gave you is as good as "cheap" is gonna get. (there is no FREE in Cozumel. You at least have to spring for a cab and some food at the cheapest places.)

Better "free" beach days to be had in Roatan or Costa Maya than Cozumel.

Bill

This information is a little misleading.

Beaches in Mexico, including Cozumel are free as crewsweeper stated but it is true that most establishments would expect you to purchase some drinks or snack if you are using their facilities. Beach days in Roatan are far from free, UNLESS you are docking at Mahogany Bay, after taking into consideration taxi and the fact that many establishments are now trying to charge admission fee.

To the OP, you already have good suggestions of The Money Bar and Playa Corona. Last time I was at Corona I was not charged an entrance fee but we just stopped for a beer and checked out the place.

I am not sure which pier Dream docks, (Puerta Maya or Langosta?) but if you don't want to get a taxi, from Puerta Maya you could walk to El Cid and buy day pass for $18 with $10 credit back towards food and drink. (There have been recent reviews on here.) Or you could walk further north, towards town, to Sunset beach, (go to google images) or other various beach bars along that stretch, La Palapita, Blue Angel. Whilst these are not long pristine beaches they do offer inexpensive places to snorkel from the shore although I believe a lot of the reef was damaged by the hurricane and you do need to be wary of boat traffic.

If you dock in town you could take a short walk south to Hotel Barracuda and visit No Name Bar, popular with many of the cruise ship staff.

Again no entrance fee, except El Cid, but drinks and snacks expected at all these locations.

Archived