Can a family of 4 do 14 nights in an inside cabin?!

Have the 4 of you ever shared an inside cabin before? If so, then I'd say go for it...especially if inside vs. a balcony means the difference of not taking the cruise at all.

Me, DH, and our 15 yr old DS shared an inside cabin on the Mariner this past January. It was tight, but doable. The lack of light really didn't bother us, since we really weren't in the cabin much except for at night to sleep. The hardest part was the bathroom situation, and getting showers. I've read here that some people actually go to the gym to shower. That might be a good idea...your DH and your DS could go down to the gym to get showered and dressed while you and DD get ready in the cabin. I'd bring a small bag for them to take to the gym showers for toiletries and clothes.

Me and my DH are actually booked for the 14 day Hawaiian Circle cruise you referred to. We are taking the one in May 2006. Which one are you looking at, May or September? Just as an FYI, the prices on the September one are much lower right now. For some reason, the prices on the May itinerary have skyrocketed since the cruise opened to booking only a month ago. For example, we booked a D1 balcony, and the price is already up $400 per person ($800 total) for that category. So, whether you're going to do May or September, I'd get a deposit in quickly...before the rates go up again. :eek:

I hope you get to go, and I'm sure you'll have a blast, regardless of the cabin that you have. Your kids are going to have the vacation of their lifetime! I wish we could take our son with us, but his school policy prohibits it. If he misses that many days unexcused, he'll automatically fail the year. :(

Let us know what you end up doing, and be sure to join the M&M thread....both months of this sailing have an active one going on.

Sherry, we are actually thinking the October one. My kids have 3 days off one of the weeks, for teacher conferences, so they'd only miss 7 days of school total. Our private school has a policy that if they are made aware ahead of time, and the kids do their schoolwork either on vacation or before they return to school, they are excused absences. So we're lucky in that respect.

My DH and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage (!) in the summer of 2007, so we also could wait and do the Hawaii cruise in Sept./Oct. 2007. Maybe by then I will have saved up enough money to get a bigger cabin?! Thank you everyone, for your creative ideas and suggestions. You guys rock! :)

Amanda:)

cruisecrasy is right. map it out and check it out. what if someone gets sick? what about getting dressed for dinner? go through all the questions that might pop up. those cabins are small. have you checked into two interiors?

You guys are right, I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I think the answer might be to save up and go a year later, with a bigger cabin. I would rather have the 4 of us in one cabin, rather than 2.

Someone had a good suggestion that might help. They shower at

the spa. Maybe the men could get ready at the spa facilities and

let the women have the room. I'm going to use this for our next

family vacation. The showers in the gym are bigger anyway. As far

as the room goes, we used to take family vacations back in the days

when a vacation was a road trip and everyone was jammed into a car.

We had six kids and Mom and Dad and would go across country. We

were curled up in the window, on the floor, where ever we could

fit. When it was time for Dad to take a nap, he would lay across the

backseat. I think since I was the smallest I would have to sit on

his stomach. I guess with seatbelt laws and all that would never

be allowed these days. Anyway, the moral of the story is that we

all survived and I never thought about it again until now. I say do it

and bring some air freshener!

While I understand getting opinions, in the end you are the only one who knows whether or not you and your family could do it. I know I could with my kids. I don't want them in a different room, mostly because they are teenagers and it could mean a bit too much freedom. On the other hand, we are only in the room to shower and sleep. For showers we have used the spa or we set times that each will come and shower. When we are done getting ready for dinner or whatever we go to an area we will meet. (for mom and dad......watering hole)

It is all what you make of it. My kids would be so thrilled to be on a vacation on a ship for 2 weeks I usually see them hanging with each other and getting along better than they did when they were best pals at ages 2 and 3. I don't even have to tell them they better get along.......they know if they don't we have no problem leaving them home and cruising without them the next time.

Sherry, we are actually thinking the October one. My kids have 3 days off one of the weeks, for teacher conferences, so they'd only miss 7 days of school total. Our private school has a policy that if they are made aware ahead of time, and the kids do their schoolwork either on vacation or before they return to school, they are excused absences. So we're lucky in that respect.

My DH and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage (!) in the summer of 2007, so we also could wait and do the Hawaii cruise in Sept./Oct. 2007. Maybe by then I will have saved up enough money to get a bigger cabin?! Thank you everyone, for your creative ideas and suggestions. You guys rock! :)

Hi Amanda, I just checked the RCCL website and there are only 2 different 14 night Hawaii cruises - one for May 7, 2006 and one for Sept 23, 2006. The Sept one does end in Oct thought...maybe that's what you were referring to?

It's great that your kid's school is flexible with family vacation. Unfortunately, my son's is not, so Hawaii is a no go for him. However, we booked a second cruise on the Serenade just for me and him, so he's not missing out on vacation altogether for next year. So, you can't feel too sorry for him. ;)

Many of the people on my M&M post have been talking about how inexpensive these two particular Hawaii sailing are. Probably because this "Circle Cruise" thing is completely new with RCCL. Because it didn't even make it in the printed brochure and because it's a completely new itinerary, they (RCCL) probably want to make sure it completely books up.

Dear Amanda,

I think that any vacation is better than no vacation at all (IMHO) AND $1,200 is a lot of money. Besides, you are not going to spend much time in you cabin except for sleeping and napping.

Of course, everything is different from person to person, but if you all get along and no one is claustrophobic then why not?

I hope that you will have a wonderful vacation,:)

Chris

OMG ! I love my family, but 14 days in ONE room. Nope, not for me, think someone would definitely be overboard.

Annieeee

I hear ya Anniee, but I'd lock the young uns in the bathroom. Viola-it's now a 2 room suite. ;)

-monte

Amanda,

I just got back from the Sovereign, and I just shared very close quarters(inside cabin) with my 5and 6 yr old daughters, and my snoring husband. Those rooms were very, very small!!!! And while, I could have stayed on the ship and cruised another month, I was actually glad to get out of the sleeping arrangements! We were only sailing for 4 nights!!! Its really up to you, but it will be alot of work to organize everyone's stuff so its not in piles all over the place. Take care, and best of luck to you and your family!!!

We did 12 days in an inside cabin two years ago when our daughter was 13 and our son was 9 and it was fine. Actually, it was better than fine. Our kids would rather share a cabin with us on a cruise than stay home and have their bedrooms.

Amanda, we did 3 of us in an inside cabin for 17 nights. Yes, it was crowded at times. But, we found that we spent very little time in the cabin (because it was inside). The cabin was just used for sleeping and getting dressed. DH used the spa to shower in, and one night DD and I decided to give him a break and use the spa instead - we loved it! The showers up there were soooooooooooooo much bigger than those in the cabins. And, we thoroughly enjoyed a nice steam or sauna too after a hard day of lounging around the ship. :D After that, bathroom wasn't an issue because we all showered up at the spa. We had a lot of sea days on this cruise and while the cabin was crowded (we all packed too much), we enjoyed this cruise a lot. Since that cruise we've been able to afford a balcony or suite, but each of us looks back at this cruise with fond, happy memories. I say - go for it! Ensure you have a good sense of humour and a good attitude and you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Oh, come on, folks. It's not like you're imprisoned in the room 24/7.

Our family of four owned a 23' motorhome in the 80's. We did this country from one end to the other ... several of those trips were three weeks in length. Not only did we manage just fine ... those trips figure highly in the wonderful memories my two kids have of their childhood.

If you think a bathroom is small on a cruise ship, you haven't seen how compact those mid-size motorhome bathrooms are!

A nicer cabin enhances the cruise experience, but that doesn't mean a small inside cabin ruins it.

Have a wonderful time ... whatever you decide.

With my family....NO, you know your family best, so go with that and the great suggestion of mapping out the size of the cabin and see what you will have for 14 looooong days! :D Showering at the spa is great, I myself haven't done this but my GF did and she said it was great.

If you can swing it 2 insides would be great.....2 bathrroms and extra storage space would be heaven!

Good luck! :)

Agree, that it "might" be possible, but not for us :D

14 days worth of luggage for 4 in that small of a cabin, just cannot see it, nor can I imagine sharing one bathroom with 3 other people for 14 days!

Good luck to you and have fun planning :D

###

would two inside cabins be almost as inexpensive? we've found that it's almost just as cheap to get two interior rooms than to put four in one ... or is that not an option?

WE find this to be true...it will be more of a vacation if you and your husband can get some alone time.

Again, you guys are the best! Such helpful suggestions and sharing of your experiences...we still haven't decided but are leaning toward waiting until Fall 2007 (Sherry, yes, I meant the Sept/Oct sailing). I hope the Radiance is still doing the Hawaii circles then! Of course, by then, my kids will be 11 and 14 and will probably want their own cabin!:) Thanks again, everybody.

I'd do it in a heartbeat for the opportunity to share a Hawaii trip with my kids! As long as you treat it as an adventure you'll all have a great time. Tense moments can arise but there's plenty of space on that ship to take a break from each other. Kids grow up so fast. I'd never pass up an opportunity to spend time together because we never know what the future holds.

Of course, I should qualify my opinion by telling you that I have 6 kids and a Great Dane!!! :D

Cheryl

I would definitely do it. Everyone is right it depends on how you guys get along and how long you plan to be in the cabin. I have always had an inside room with my husband and 2 kids. We have only done up to 12 days but we are only in the room to sleep and get showered and dressed. And when my children got old enough my husband and I would go to cabin and shower at one time and the kids would shower before we got there or after we left. We were never in the room together besides sleeping really. We are going on a 12 day cruise in 2 weeks with one of my sons and his friend in our inside room (and of course my older son and is girlfriend have their own room). Am I crazy my husband and I should have taken the room for 2 and had the 4 kids together. And as far as having natural light in the room, we get natural light all day being outside. Have a great time. A cruise is the only time my kids want to come on vacation with us anymore. They are 16 and 21.

Archived