Queen Elizabeth Princess Grill Advice

newtoit

Just about to book our first Med cruise for October. We have experienced Queens Grill (a Q6) on Transatlantic crossing previously. There are no Queens rooms available for the level we want (or can afford!!) so Princess is the next choice. Can anyone provide feedback on a P2 suite? Thank you !!

If you've been on a QM2 Q6, you may find the QV/QE Princess Grill rooms a lot smaller than those on the QM2 Princess grills,never mind the QG. Effectively, they are a slightly longer balcony room, with the same sized small balcony, with 2 chairs and a table.

QV/QE have a far superior sunbathing terrace to that on the QM2 but do not have a jacuzzi - you have will to use the midships pool which is probably the nearest. They have nice padded loungers, cold drinks available and, at certain times of the day, they come around with chilled fruit skewers and afternoon tea sandwiches. The other advantage is being able to dine in the outdoor courtyard which is on a first come first served basis, shared with QG for lunch/dinner.

There are 2 PG cabins on deck 5 at the front of the ship which are larger than the thinner ones midships and if you feel you want more space, then choose one of those, unless of course you're on a guarantee fare and you'll probably end up with a P1 on deck 8. Deck 8 can be a pain as it's underneath part of the winter garden and walkway between the lido and on areas that are uncarpeted you can hear trolleys/footsteps overhead. There are 2 disabled cabins on deck 4 so if you have a disability, then these may be offered to you and are quite spacious too.

Just a thought, if you think you can take the chance, keep checking the getaways (sometimes twice/three times a day) as they might show sold out now but can reappear again. It's happened several times on our upcoming Baltic cruise. A good way to check how many cabins are left is begin doing a dummy booking in the vantage fare section and check the category grades that are left. They usually show 8 in each section. If it's under that number or showing guarantee, then that grade is limited. It should give you an idea as to what's left.

Hope that helps a little.

The Q6's on the QV/QE tend to be at the back of the ship. We booked one on the QV next door to hubby's parents and were looking forward to it as we had always been midships before. Typically, we were upgraded to a Q3 (which we had before and knew the layout very well) and really wanted one at the back. They stayed put and we were jealous of their suite as it had so much more space on the balcony and 2 plastic style loungers as well as table and chairs, compared to our balcony which was wide but narrow (like the other side balconies) and no loungers, just a foot stool for each chair.

If you book a Q guarantee grade on QV/QE you inevitably get their Q4 and Q3 penthouses (as there are more of them) which are not a patch on those Q6's at the back of the ship. The Q5's have great wrap around balconies but feel the suite itself is slightly smaller and the dressing area is awful as it's squashed in the walkway to the bathroom (similar to the Q6 on the QM2). The aft suites are usually popular and tend to go first.

Before they regraded the QG's, the Q4 penthouses were originally Q6's and those at the back were Q4's. People complained that they had paid more and had further to walk and for the money should be nearer midships, so they regraded them to what they are now.

The grills lounge on QE/QV is nicer than the QM2 because you have views out onto the lower grills sundeck and can watch sunsets from there. It is small but depending on the time of day you go, you can usually get a table. We dine late (nearer to 9pm) so can always find somewhere. We've had 1 afternoon tea which was nice in there but it did get very busy.

NB. The QE Q6's don't have such a spacious balcony due to the nature of the back of the ship. It's straight backed as opposed to angled on the QV, thus giving the QV much more balcony space.

Again, hope this helps.

Very helpful, thank you. Did your in-laws mention any excessive vibration or movement with their aft suite? I'm not concerned, just interested. One benefit is that when I smoke on the balcony it won't impact on the neighbours - I'm assuming.

Did you see any tables for six in the Queens Grill that were next to the windows?

Very helpful, thank you. Did your in-laws mention any excessive vibration or movement with their aft suite? I'm not concerned, just interested. One benefit is that when I smoke on the balcony it won't impact on the neighbours - I'm assuming.

Did you see any tables for six in the Queens Grill that were next to the windows?

Whitemarsh Ive had a suite at the back of both the QE and QV and there is a tiny bit of vibration when the ship is manoeuvring but you hardly notice it. In terms of movement, there is a tiny bit but its not really noticeable. But i would imagine that it would be more noticeable in rougher seas.

On both my trips on the QV and QE it was mainly table's for two and the occasional table for four that were by the windows. I only noticed one large table by the window which was in the forward most corner of the restaurant.

As Rileyspike has posted, most of the vibration is when the ship is manoeuvring. We didn't have any extreme weather though so not sure if there would be much more up and down movement if it was rough (I would imagine there would be though).

Regarding tables, there were a couple of 8 tops (circular). Behind us there was a 6 but it was rectangular and they were by the window, giving 2 people a window seat and the rest towards the inner restaurant. At the very end of the restaurant, there was an 8 by the window but most window tables were 2s and 4s.

I've had the 8 seater in the window at the back and it is very nice.

When you say back, which part of the restaurant are you referring to? Sorry, I'm not sure if you mean the windows that look back towards the stern or perhaps internal windows that look onto the courtyard.

When you say back, which part of the restaurant are you referring to? Sorry, I'm not sure if you mean the windows that look back towards the stern or perhaps internal windows that look onto the courtyard.

It was furthest away from the entrance by a door to the outside patio/deck/terrace I think, towards the stern. I recall glass on 2 sides anyway.

Just about to book our first Med cruise for October. We have experienced Queens Grill (a Q6) on Transatlantic crossing previously. There are no Queens rooms available for the level we want (or can afford!!) so Princess is the next choice. Can anyone provide feedback on a P2 suite? Thank you !!

This could be your lucky day Newtoit.

I have sailed Princess Grill on all three Queens. You may like to look at this review of mine on a Queen Elizabeth voyage...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/queen-elizabeth-maiden-season/

Archived