Fuel surcharge?

turning46

I noticed this on the Celebrity website:

Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $10 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel.

Does anyone know if this supplement is being charged? Doing a google search of "West Texas Intermediate barrel," it appears that the price per barrel is over $100.

If this is being charged to passengers, does it get tacked on at the end of the cruise?

I think that is what they reserved in case they need to charge you extra. In the last 3 years, most of the time the cost of a barrel has gone pass $65. I never seen anything extra added to my cruise.

Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $10 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel.

Does anyone know if this supplement is being charged? Doing a google search of "West Texas Intermediate barrel," it appears that the price per barrel is over $100.

If this is being charged to passengers, does it get tacked on at the end of the cruise?

No, it's not charged. They tried to charge it a number of years ago, but that effort feel flat. Nothing to be concerned about.

Will be interesting:eek: to see if many cruise lines tack on a new 'emission control zone' extra-low-sulphur fuel surcharge starting under new law in 2015 when sailing inside of 200 miles of US coast. EPA ESTIMATED special fuel would add abut 3% to fuel costs. Or it could be less visibly added into cruise fare.

So if if goes below $50 a barrel they give us $10 a day... yeah right!!

Its up to the company to charge us a price based on what they estimate their costs to be and a margin for profit, and if their costs vary (Which they do for most businesses) they have to take the hit.

So if if goes below $50 a barrel they give us $10 a day... yeah right!!

Its up to the company to charge us a price based on what they estimate their costs to be and a margin for profit, and if their costs vary (Which they do for most businesses) they have to take the hit.

The fuel surcharge statement is there as a result of a Court decision in a case involving a fuel surcharge. That statement gives them the legal right to impose a charge without further notice. My guess is that additional costs may be reflected in the base price of the cruise. Do you think that when a business is forced to pay a higher cost it isn't passed along to the consumers?

The fuel surcharge statement is there as a result of a Court decision in a case involving a fuel surcharge. That statement gives them the legal right to impose a charge without further notice. My guess is tht additional costs may be reflected in the base price of the cruise. Do you think that when a business is forced to pay a higher cost it isn't passed along to the consumers?

Orator is correct, the court decision was put on the paperwork as an FYI letting you know that they could charge you the fee even in the future. That is what the court wanted. There were several cruises lines involved in this decision and most lines have taken the same stance as Celebrity. I believe that this is one of those things that once one of them does it, they will all do it. Thankfully, they have not.

Archived