Anything To Do in Costa Maya Within Walking Distance From the Ship

ajtraveler66

We'll be in Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan this next winter (Cozumel already planned).

Wondering if there is anything SAFE and neat to do within walking distance from the ship. Input on safe things to do near the ship also welcome for Belize and Roatan.

We want to spend one day on ship while most everyone else is out on excursions, but we would want it to be at a port where we could get off the ship for an hour or so and just walk around for a bit.

Thanks.

You can walk to Mahahual at Costa Maya I suppose, but it is only like a two dollar cab ride, and it is safe and you can walk up and down the malecon. Belize actually has a pretty nice tourism village where you get off the tender, but if you want to stay on the ship at one port I would make it Belize. Roatan is very safe, but I don't know where you are docking, Mahogany or Coxen ?

And as I posted on your inquiry on the Belize Board, the cruise port area here is one of the better cruise port areas with a swimming pool, swim up bar, small beach (albeit the better beach next door is closed) and lots of shops and a couple of restaurants. It's a trolley ride away down the pier. Or a nice walk.

• 2 weeks later...

Have walked to Mahahual down the road before. It took about 30 minutes to the lighthouse. There really was not much to see and it was very hot. There was a small shop where you could buy a litre of water for about $1 which you will need if you decide to walk.

Won't walk again as the taxis outside the gates near the Tequila Factory are very cheap. Would recommend spending some time at the Tropicante. It is a beach bar in Mahahual run by a friendly American called Steve Uhl. His place is excellent with cheap food/drinks and an excellent crew.

You can email him to reserve a free lounger on the beach.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Archived