Upgrade

Juders

Is it possible that someone could get an upgrade from an Obstructed view cabin to a balcony?

Just wondering....we've had upgrades in the same category before. Is it possible to ask at the desk to be upgraded if there's something available?

1. Yes. That's the only way we've ever been upgrade; outside obstructed to balcony or better.

2. Forget about desk. No way.

Two years ago in Alaska we were upgraded from an obstructed oceanview cabin to a midship Caribe deck cabin with the larger balcony on an early June sailing. In that situation a week before the cruise I noticed there were many balconies still available & my TA contacted the Princess DSM to request one. There were no guarantees but by the end of the day we had our balcony cabin. :D

This certainly isn't the norm & as already posted it's like trying to win the lottery but sometimes it does happen.

Our recent Alaskan cruise with an inside guarantee is exactly what we received probably because the ship was full of people like us booking great offers to sail to Alaska. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Is it possible that someone could get an upgrade from an Obstructed view cabin to a balcony?
Every single booking is automatically marked "Will accept an upgrade" as the default for all bookings. Which means that every cabin (with the exception of full suites) is eligible. You can mark your booking "No upgrade" or "Meta upgrade." A meta upgrade is one from one type of cabin to an other, i.e., inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc.

Just wondering....we've had upgrades in the same category before. Is it possible to ask at the desk to be upgraded if there's something available?
Nope. Only if there are serious plumbing or mechanical issues that the onboard engineers have been unable to repair. Even then, it's dependent on available cabins. Princess sails full on just about every cruise. Also, you cannot upgrade at the pier, even if you're willing to pay for an upgrade as the check-in computers are not linked to the booking system. If you ask to upgrade at the last minute (other than at the pier or onboard), you'll pay the difference between what you paid for your cabin and the current price of the cabin you want. Edited by Pam in CA

We have been up graded three of six cruises. Two within the category and one to the family suite. The family suite was nice, but we had both a balcony and an inside booked. I suppose that Princess more that made up for the upgrade.

No free upgrades when boarding. If they gave upgrades then, nearly every passenger would be lined up to ask.

We had an upgrade to a balcony on 1 cruise. The ship was not fully booked and it upgraded most passengers. I don't think anyone was in an inside cabin on that cruise,

It's all pretty rabdom. If the ship is fully booked the chances go way down.

We usually book a guaranteed balcony and have found that we get assigned a better cabin than expected. In fact on an upcoming cruise we were upgraded after assignment. Most of the time the upgrade is within the category and results in a better location. We cruise primarily on Azamara and celebrity (because of Aqua Class) but we are elite on Princess and still enjoy our cruises very much. It seems that in today's cruising one gets what one pays for. Princess is a very good value and a great product. As long as we keep our expectations in line with the realities of mass market cruising we always have a great time!

I have been upgraded from Obstructed ocean view to balcony in the past

I am sailing Aug 28 2013 on the Coral Princess. I have booked Obstructed Ocean View Guarantee - booked about a month ago. No cabin has been assigned yet. Last time I looked there are only 5 ocean view cabins left but 79 balconies and 41 mini suites. So that is what I am hoping for. I will be happy with any cabin though.

I have been upgraded from Obstructed ocean view to balcony in the past

I am sailing Aug 28 2013 on the Coral Princess. I have booked Obstructed Ocean View Guarantee - booked about a month ago. No cabin has been assigned yet. Last time I looked there are only 5 ocean view cabins left but 79 balconies and 41 mini suites. So that is what I am hoping for. I will be happy with any cabin though.

Coral: April 20th. We were upgraded from obstructed OV to mini. Best of luck. Hope it happens to you.

We usually get an assigned Balcony stateroom when cruising…

But this time we booked a “Guaranteed Obstructed Ocean View”, less than a month before sailing, just to try it out and because we got a good deal…

It’s 19 days before sailing and no cabin assignment yet…

Curious to see what we get or if we get an upgrade…

When can we expect them to assign our cabin?...

Thanks…

Joe

We are 16 days before sailing and no room number yet. I check every day.

Once on Holland our guarantee was assigned the night before departure. I really like the added anticipation of a guarantee. I figure they will have a room for us by checkin at the latest-at least I hope so.........

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We usually get an assigned Balcony stateroom when cruising…

But this time we booked a “Guaranteed Obstructed Ocean View”, less than a month before sailing, just to try it out and because we got a good deal…

It’s 19 days before sailing and no cabin assignment yet…

Curious to see what we get or if we get an upgrade…

When can we expect them to assign our cabin?...

Thanks…

Joe

Two minutes from now or up to the time when you arrive at the pier. Good luck. Remember Forrest Gump's famous words. :)

That is right, but it significantly reduces your chance at an upgrade.

Maybe, but I would not consider a change in cabin location, for example, from an inside mid-forward on Plaza deck to an inside (even if midship) on Aloha deck, to be an upgrade.

Edited by tothemall&beyond