Suggest a Vietnam River Cruise?

RoyalCanine

My husband and I are an adventurous, active, late-50's couple and are looking to do a river cruise in Vietnam for about 14 nights. Our schedule is flexible and we'd like to go the best time of year for the weather and to avoid flooding.

Can anyone recommend a company and ship to book with? We'd love to hear any suggestions you have for a trip like this!

Thanks for your help!

there are only a few that do this,Viking,AMA,and another.

I did AMA in Jan.and was very pleased after reading a LOT and picking this one for several reasons.Wanted 2wk one that had several days in Hanoi prior and Saigon after.One with nice rooms,balcony,and Halong Bay cruise inc.AMA has been doing this one a LONG time and is higher rated with my TA.Had done 2 AMA prior,along with Viking too, and found AMA better in ALL categories for us.]it was HOT,but not rainy in Jan.Did our own air with no problem.A wonderful cruise and would highly recommend it.:D

We went on the AmaLotus in Nov, 2011 and would highly recommend AMA. It was a memorable trip, and included an overnight stay on a junk in Ha Long Bay, which was one of many highlights of the trip. Hotels were also excellent.

We were on AMA La Marguerite, read the review below from Cruise Critic Member reviews, these were our friends with whom we travelled...We actually added the 7 day precruise with AMA along the coast of Vietnam, which was fabulous, our friends joined us in Hanoi for the rest of the 15 day package.

We went in 2011 and I still rave about this trip - it was an amazing experience .

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80735

We are booked on the RV Jahan(Heritage line) for this September.

Booked through travel indochina here in Oz. Starting in Hanoi 2 nights then 2 night Halong Bay cruise, back to Hanoi for 1 night. Flight to Siem Reap (we arrive day before 12d/11n tour starts)so have 3 nights there before embarking on the Jahan on the 8d/7n Lost Civilisation cruise to Ho Chi Minh. Two nights there before flying to Bangkok(own itinerary) for 3 nights then home.

Really looking forward to our trip just hope the weather is kind to us. Have just received our evisa for entry to Cambodia. Will write a review on our return as there is not much information on the Jahan.

• 8 months later...

Hi Melanie, didn't get to do the Jahan trip last September as I slipped and broke my leg while on the Halong Bay cruise (day 4 of our 3 week holiday)! However my brother & sister in law did the cruise and loved it. They enjoyed all the tours, food, crew and fellow guests. We have re booked for this September. Starting in Ho Chi Minh this time and staying at the Renaissance Riverside for 3 nights, then the cruise to Siem Reap and 2 nights at Shinta Mani Resort. I will be very careful this time if walking down from lookouts! We post an update when we return.

We did Vietnam and Cambodia with Viking in 2011 and loved it. We had two days in Saigon; the Mekong cruise with stops in fishing villages, weaving villages, etc; a day in Phnom penh; 3 days in Siem Riep (Angkor Wat), and finishing in Hanoi. The guides were terrific, the boat was comfortable and the hotels in Vietnam and Siem Riep were excellent.

We went in March. Dry and not too hot. The only negative was that the boat could get into Inle Lake which is a marsh at that time of year.

We did Vietnam and Cambodia with Viking in 2011 and loved it. We had two days in Saigon; the Mekong cruise with stops in fishing villages, weaving villages, etc; a day in Phnom penh; 3 days in Siem Riep (Angkor Wat), and finishing in Hanoi. The guides were terrific, the boat was comfortable and the hotels in Vietnam and Siem Riep were excellent.

We went in March. Dry and not too hot. The only negative was that the boat could get into Inle Lake which is a marsh at that time of year.

I'm sure what jnjcruz meant was that the boat could NOT sail on Tonle Sap lake in March. As has been stated before in this forum, if you take this trip from January to April, you will be bussed between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. It's about a 4 hour bus ride. Your cruise line may or may not tell you this in advance.

I found it a long, boring ride.

My husband and I are an adventurous, active, late-50's couple and are looking to do a river cruise in Vietnam for about 14 nights. Our schedule is flexible and we'd like to go the best time of year for the weather and to avoid flooding.

Can anyone recommend a company and ship to book with? We'd love to hear any suggestions you have for a trip like this!

Thanks for your help!

PLEASE, PLEASE investigate Pandaw River cruises on the Mekong. The ships are unigue and service and food outstanding. I have sailed Viking and AMA and strongly feel that Pandaw is a cut above and I think less expensive. You will want to spend at least two nights in Siem Reap (Ankgor Wat) Cambodia and two more in Ho Chi Min city besides the cruise. Having sailed Viking in China and Europe and AMA in Europe, I feel they are both too Americanised, food, ambiance, etc.

Prior to my AMA cruise,I DID explore Pandaw but didn't chose because I wanted boat with balconies.

Also,wanted Halong Bay cruise inc.in pkg.

I like to "rough it" during day but have 5 star accomodations at nite.

Mine did inc. days pre cruise and post in either Saigon or Hanoi.

Looked at plenty of videos by googling and chose what was best for us,with itinerary we wanted,etc.

Also.2days in Cambodia to see Anghor wat,etc.

WOnderful cruise and would go again in a minute.:)

Am a big fan of AMA, but sooo glad we picked Avalon for our Mekong cruise. It was on a pandaw type boat--only 22 of us capacity 30 pax. Movies shown each nite relating to Vietnam and Cambodia. Food was excellent with a mix of Asian and western.

This trip was HCMC-Siem Reap with optional precruise in Hanoi. Cruising in that direction has the trip end in Siem Reap and the fantastic Ankor Wat.

Our hotels were the Intercontinental in HCMC and Bangkok and the Victoria in Siem Reap.

Good luck Pat