The story of our Alaska trip...July 18-Aug. 3, 2013

cruisin'mama

We just reserved the Coastal Classic Gold Star train ride today for next summer in June when we are taking the same cruise! I saw where you deposit your luggage before checking in for the train, but when you get to Seward, where do you find your luggage. We plan on getting off the train, and trying to get a taxi to take us straight to the ship to check in. I don't know if we will get off again to look around or not.

The photos were magnificent, and it was fun to follow some of what we will be doing next June! Thanks for all the specific information!

Bell Ringer,

You will check your luggage with a cruise line attendant at the Anchorage train station and it will be taken directly to your cabin on the other end. I think they actually drive the luggage in a truck so it arrives before you do. At least that is what Celebrity does if you are taking the train the same day the ship departs. Very easy!

Thank you for your kind words. The walk to the train station from the Comfort Inn Ship Creek is maybe 5 minutes. ( You can see it from the hotel ). It is a very easy walk. The hotel shuttle is free but they ask that you sign up for it' date=' although I doubt that everyone who used it had signed up...[/quote']

What did you think of the Sea Lion Gallery efficiencies? Not sure if you used the futon specifically but we are considering it for next summer and we need two beds. Normally, I do not like futons for comfort.....

Thanks for the beautiful pictures! We went to Alaska last year and are going again next year, and this just makes me look forward to it even more. Amazing flowers- the ones that can handle that climate are all so beautiful.

And you're right- $7 for a big breakfast was a very good deal. Food up there was very expensive compared to the lower 48 because so much of it has to be shipped there from far away.

What did you think of the Sea Lion Gallery efficiencies? Not sure if you used the futon specifically but we are considering it for next summer and we need two beds. Normally, I do not like futons for comfort.....

I'm sorry I really don't have an answer regarding the futon. My son slept on it, but he wouldn't complain even if it was as hard as a rock. He just loves being in a hotel ( motel, B&B, cabin, ship, etc). I never even sat on it.

greatam is the one who recommended the Sea Lion. I did really enjoy the location and the views, and the regular bed was fine, but maybe someone else has an answer about the futon. SORRY !

• 1 month later...

WOW what a fantastic review and the photos are amazing.........our kind of vacation.

I was surprised when I saw you photos of Kenai rafting with Alaska Wildland Adventures.......that is who we have our 7-day land trip booked with for July 2014! We can't wait.

I am 61 will be traveling with my 85 year old mother, we cruised Alaska in 2009 and my mom has on her bucket list to return to do a land trip that includes Denali and that is exactly what we are doing next year.

Your photos tell of the beauty of Alaska. I am reading all reviews from mid July to August to see what the weather was like there this year as that is the similar time frame we will be traveling next year.

I am so glad your hubby was able to deal with the flying, that is why my partner has not traveled to Alaska with me, the beauty of Alaska is so worth overcoming the flying!

Thank you for taking the time to share your family vacation with us!

Susan

Thanks Hoglady for your nice comments. The people at Alaska Wildland Adventures were great. I'm sure they'll treat you and your mom wonderfully! I'm glad you're able to take your mom on her land trip. Alaska is so amazing, and the land portion is fantastic. My husband had such a good time that he has decided that he wants to forego our trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park this summer to save up to go back to Alaska in 2015 ( and brave more flights!) . I'm already working on an itinerary that will include Denali, Copper Center for him to go salmon fishing again, Valdez and the Alaska Marine ferry back to Whittier before another SB cruise. It's too bad your partner can't do the flights!

• 1 month later...