Grand Princess Mini-Suites E728 or E729

Cindy

Has anyone stayed in either of these mini-suites with the extended balcony? I usually select a cabin near mid-ship, but the larger covered balcony is appealing.

I believe the Vista Lounge is directly below these cabins. Can you hear a lot of noise from below? What about movement in the back of the ship? (Neither one of us is prone to motion sickness). We're considering one of these mini-suites for a trip next spring, and I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

We have stayed in E729 on the Grand and E728 on the Star Princess.

The extra bit of balcony is nice, but not worth the movement and noise to us. On the Grand the wind whipped around the aft of the ship to the point that the larger balcony was useless for several days. Also we had a terrible vibration back there when pulling into port. The Grand had some sort of terrible noise, not from the deck below, that sounded like an engine in the hallway. Never did figure out what it was but we got used to it. The noise was worse in the sleeping are vs the sitting area.

On the Star in E728 we spent 25 days from LA to Sydney. Admittedly it became rough on many days and it really got rough back there. We spent one day in our friends cabin midship (which was fine and no movement) when our cabin was really rockin and rollin.

You will get mixed responses to this question. Those that have been in one of these cabins on a Grand Class ship and encountered smooth seas and no winds to speak of really enjoyed it. But if any type of weather is encountered, it is a totally different story.

Would we book either of these cabins again on a Grand Class ship? Nope, not worth the problems for a few extra feet of balcony space. I would rather have a protected balcony I can use in almost any weather.

We stayed in E728 on the Golden and loved it. Very private and if you are a balcony person, this balcony is the best. You get the side view the other balconies have as well as a great aft view. We did hear noise from the lounge, twice at night during shows and once in the afternoon when they were rehearsing. Next time I sail a grand class ship, I'll be first in line to book this cabin again.

Allen

I have stayed in E728 on the Grand twice and E730 on the Caribbean Princess. I was on the Caribbean Princess during tropical storm Arlene. Both my husband and I love those cabins and will choose one over any other on the ship. It's not the size of the balcony so much as it is the field of vision. It's also nice to only have one neighbor.

I like the breeze on the balcony. But I am not one of those women who worry with my hair. It always looks windblown anyway. You can sit close to the divider which deflects the wind if you find it troublesome.

pam, you must have had a slight breeze? The winds were so bad back in E728 and E729 for both our sailings that it litterally sucked a book out of my hands. Sure glad I had just started it and not been down to the last chapter or I would have been a bit put out. Honestly though, it really was that bad on several days for both the different sailings, Eastern Caribbean in March and LA to Sydney in ...................... ummmmm, trying to think, it was sometime in the spring but I just can't remember the month and it was only about 2 years ago.

We were in E729 on the Star end of April Mexican Riviera. Only once did we hear any noise from the lounge and it was very slight. Others on the ship said they felt quite a bit of movement one night and some got sea sick. We didn't feel it and one of us is very sensative to movement. I loved the privacy this balcony offered. The view of the wake of the ship at night with the ship's lights shining on it was unbelievably tranquil. Would love to have this cabin and balcony again.

Diane

Hi Toto

Read through your bad experience at the aft of Grand and Star. Just wondering, why did you book the same cabin location a second time after your first bad experience? Did you want to give it another try? :confused:

Mercury-Actually, it wasn't our choice. While we were sailing on the Grand Princess our TA took it upon herself to switch our cabin to E728 for the Star Cruise without asking us first. She let us know when we returned home that we now had that 'great cabin' for our 25 day sailing. Since it was on the Star and the other side of the ship, we figured she was so proud of herself for securing this cabin that we would give it another try. We almost had her change it, but thought maybe it was just the bad weather we encountered on the Grand that made the balcony so unusable. Plus, this sailing was about sold out by the time we were told that our cabin had been switched, so there wasn't much left to change to. We were able to use the balcony through Hawaii, but after that it just became so windy that we had to move all of the parties indoors as nobody wanted to go out there, even when the weather was warm. The wind would whip around from the aft of the ship and blow everything off the tables, including drinks.

So, this might explain that it was an involuntary move and not the cabin we originally choose.

Toto - you must've been really mad at your TA! Hope she doesn't do that to you again!

Well, after that and a few other things she took it upon herself to do, I took the booking away from her and transferred it to my currect TA who is a gem! :D

• 10 years later...

Awesome mini-suite cabins with extra 10ft of balcony curved towards the aft and some extra chairs for company. If it's a windy day then it's a windy day everywhere especially on the sun & sport decks. The views from E728/729 are superior to any other cabins in the same category plus you're at the end of hallway no foot traffic or "lookie loos" every time you open the cabin door. Aft cabins also have the advantage of easy access to buffet just hop in the aft elevator hit 14 and you're at Horizon court buffet woohoo!

the odd numbered cabins are on the port side. i always book e729 or e731, depending on the ship. never any noise from the lounge but the even numbered cabins do get some noise from the lounge.

these ships have aft thrusters which do make some noise and vibrations when docking or leaving the dock but i've never had an encounter with rough seas or winds. give me e729 or i won't go!!

We usually book these extended mini suite balcony rooms or aft suites and on other ships,

like ( Coral, Emerald, Ruby, etc) and never heard much noise.

However, and perhaps due this being an older ship than the others, we heard every beat, twang and note of the music. The upside was the music was over by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. My DH who is hard of hearing could hear the music.

I was surprised by the amount of noise from the Vista Lounge and the mechanical goings on of the ship but it would not a deal breaker for me to book this mini again. There are far too many advantages to this cabin.

E729 is fab! Go for it!

It has a full sofa, not just a love seat.

No noise from below!

I love this room, and I have it booked again for the future.

As with other mini suites, it also has a full tub. Great for getting clean:)

If the planets align correctly, you would also have Ryan, the best room Steward ever:)

How funny! For some reason this thread caught my eye even though we don't have any plans to cruise on the Grand. Then I looked more closely and discovered I started the thread...ten years ago in 2005!:eek: