We had the Drink Pkg on Oasis-Review

kimann

I would imagine if they have changed the rule on Red Bull is because it specifically excludes canned soft drinks...red Bull is a canned energy soft drink. Most places, bars , charge you for the whole can, even when they do not give it to you. But if you're dying for a vodka red bull, just bring a couple of 4 packs on board and order vodka on rocks...then add your own.Then you're covered either way. Red Bull costs the bars more than the booze in many cases so it makes sense why they would try and exclude it.:rolleyes:

Thank you Kimann for this post as we have purchased the premium package and are very glad that we did so. So that we can try the various drinks without worrying about running up our tab. We are leaving on the Oasis 9/21 and are getting very excited! :D

So we had the Premium Drink Pkg on Oasis last week and I researched it on this board so much before we left I thought someone might like some feedback from us.

1) Was is worth it? Totally subjective. I am sure we didn't drink enough to break even on 2 of the days but we were close to over on all the others. The benefit as others have said was the mental release to try new things and not have to worry about paying for each drink. We purchased the package online and I loved not having all those extra drink charges on the setsail account.

2) Can you have Red Bull on the pkg? Not any where we found on Oasis. I thought this would be a deal breaker, but really it wasn't. There were so many other things to try. I would encourage you to get your hands on a drink menu the first day and start shopping :)

3) Did we sign receipts? Suprisingly most of the time we didn't. The pool waiter said they only bring them if you ask (which I did so I could tip him extra). I could buy additional drinks for my kids on my card and request to pay for them. Did that several places and had no problems or confusion (and I did have to sign then). The only place that's different is the Promenade in the bar by the pizza place. It's electronic and you had to sign the machine.

4) Did we miss having the soda cups for the freestyle machines? Another surprise for me-No we didn't. The bar soda was fine and the cups were plenty big, not those tiny ones they used to have. My 20 something kids had the soda pkg and they didn't really use the machines that much either...

5) Wine? We had a choice of St. Martin Cab, Merlot, Chardonnay, a white zin of some kind and a sparkling. Husband tried the Merlot and said it was drinkable. We ate at Park 150 and he got the wine pairing which bugged me because I had already paid for the drink pkg, but it was wonderful, so worth the $75. They did tell us that they are a "special" restaurant and didn't carry the house wine, but I didn't have any trouble getting my Grey Goose Cosmos with the pkg there. No problem at all getting house wine and cocktails at Giovanni's or Chops.

6) Was service any different? Not a single bit and we didn't ever wait on a cocktail.

7) Will we do it again? Yes, I'm pretty sure we will.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Kim

Do you know what the "super premium category" consists of vs. the "premium category"?

I was reviewing another post showing the bar/drink menus and noticed that all of the margaritas are made with Patron, which is not an included alcohol on the drink package. So what happens if you order a margarita with the package? Do they ask what other type of tequila you would like or do you just get the Patron in your margarita??

I was reviewing another post showing the bar/drink menus and noticed that all of the margaritas are made with Patron, which is not an included alcohol on the drink package. So what happens if you order a margarita with the package? Do they ask what other type of tequila you would like or do you just get the Patron in your margarita??

Just guessing, but you probably get a "house margarita", which is not on the menu, but can be ordered. It's less expensive than the fancy margaritas in the menu.

Its funny, I understand all the concerns about what is or isn't included - what I can say is that on our cruise this past May on Oasis - not once did I not order exactly what I wanted, or anyone else around me on the package - and not get exactly what we asked for - at least in regards to mixed drinks. Anything we ordered from a drink menu or other specialty came exactly mixed as described. :D

Its funny, I understand all the concerns about what is or isn't included - what I can say is that on our cruise this past May on Oasis - not once did I not order exactly what I wanted, or anyone else around me on the package - and not get exactly what we asked for - at least in regards to mixed drinks. Anything we ordered from a drink menu or other specialty came exactly mixed as described. :D

I agree-We had no problem getting the different flavored margaritas off the drink menu.

As a veteran bartender, I'm sure they let you order whatever fun margarita from the menu and just use a different tequila. The drink would still be great. If you're drinking a sweet drink....the tequila is not the main taste. I'm just excited to not have to worry about my bill at the end of the cruise....well I'll still be worried a little.:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for this post. We are on Allure on November and have been kicking around buying the package. Kind of a push on cost but when we started to think about doing shots after dinner as well as the "funny" drinks my wife likes to try during the day we thought it might be a good deal. Also since we have been to these ports many times and only go ashore for a short period of time it seemed like it might work. Reading your review and then thinking that it would give us a chance to try something different that we might not try otherwise we signed up. Its post like this that make CC so valuable. Thanks again.

Hi

My husband and I just got back from the Liberty and had the Premium Drinks package and we definitely made it pay, even with ports nearly every day! :D I think my drinks added up to between $50-70 each day but his were definitely more, especially in the evening.

I had the different flavoured Margarita's and Martini's/Cosmo's, I just asked for them with a regular Vodka etc. I also had Bellini's which I assumed they made with the cheap sparkling wine we could also get on it's own on the package. Per day I typically drank 1-2 cocktails by the pool, 1-2 diet coke's, 3 glasses of Merlot with dinner, then 2-3 cocktails after dinner. And this was quite reserved as we had a few early mornings. ;) I know to some people this might seem like a huge amount but my husband and I drink a lot at weekends so to us this was quite normal. :p

The package worked for us as we think the wine is ridiculously over-priced per glass on the ship and I prefer the more expensive cocktails, so 5-6 drinks easily broke even! On the Liberty with the Spanish VAT and grats included the glasses of wine were $8.75 each. We know this not because we had to sign the receipts but we accidently got charged in the dining room by a dozy waitress and the charges showed up on the sea pass account. The cheapest cocktails were $8.75 also with VAT etc.

Hope this helps other people!

Archived