Horrible port in Nassau

hammer000

a suggestion ~ We have done this a couple of times ~ take the bus # 10 jitney for $1.25 pp to Daq Shak across from the Sheraton hotel, have a daiquiri or two, browse the little vendor stalls there and head back.

When you come out of the port gate near the taxi stand.. continue straight 1 block to Bay Street. Make a right. Go 3 blocks.. George Street, and the waiting jitneys are on the left heading out of town.

P1110445.JPG

P1110448.JPG

P1110464.JPG

Check out John Watlings rum distillery. It is about 15 minute walk from the ship, free tour, beautiful estate, and great rum :)

[ATTACH]282692[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What direction?!?! That very much interestes us.

I can't wait for our Oasis cruise in January, but my one beef is with this first stop in Nassau. It arrives there at 7am and leaves by 2pm! Could there be a worse time slot than that?

I figure by the time we leave the ship it's close to 9am, and then back on for 1:30pm to be safe. Doesn't give much time for anything. May not even be beach weather on a late January morning.

Any ideas on what would be worth doing in this short time.

Ok I would set a map in the ternimal then take a walk to the Queens Staircase, go up to the top and check out Fort Fincastle & the Water tower. then on the way back take a left on Shirley Street to the Governors House. (just ask the guard at the gate,he will let you into the grounds) and then head back to town and the ship.

7662412862_1acc7f1d72_c.jpg

What direction?!?! That very much interestes us.

Up the hill, you will see signs. It is on Delancy Street. They have a website as well as a Facebook page with info. The estate is beautiful and the people working there are knowledgeable and friendly. Great mojito s too :)

I can't wait for our Oasis cruise in January, but my one beef is with this first stop in Nassau. It arrives there at 7am and leaves by 2pm! Could there be a worse time slot than that?

I figure by the time we leave the ship it's close to 9am, and then back on for 1:30pm to be safe. Doesn't give much time for anything. May not even be beach weather on a late January morning.

Any ideas on what would be worth doing in this short time.

Im not a huge fan of Nassau either, but its still nice to walk around town and shop and people watch. Grab an Ice Cream Cone and walk around for an hour or two and then head back.

Yep, best conch fritters... ever! Won't even order them in the States anymore! And, it's a nice walk up to Fish Fry with a nice view back to the ship too... photo ops!

We usually take the bus out to Fish Fry for lunch. (I think it's the #10? Been awhile since we've been there...:rolleyes:) We've tried several of the restaurants/seafood shacks over the years, but our favorite now is 'Twin Brothers.' ('Oh Andros' is close... our second fave.)

Yes, the conch is excellent! Last time at Twin Brothers, after we ordered, I was facing a window at the back and saw a guy go out to the edge of the water, pull up a net full of conch, select a few, and bring them back to the kitchen. No wonder that conch tastes so fresh!:D

And did I mention the deep fried lobster bites? OMG those are fabulous!:p

Judy

Nassau on a 7 night itinerary is a waste of a port, time, and money. It's ok on a short, cheapie itinerary, but not on a 7 night itinerary when there are so many other ports to visit.

Agreed. Why isn't San Juan or Turks/Caicos a better option?

I'm assuming it has something to do with being capable of taking larger ships.

Up the hill, you will see signs. It is on Delancy Street. They have a website as well as a Facebook page with info. The estate is beautiful and the people working there are knowledgeable and friendly. Great mojito s too :)

THANK YOU!!!

We've become rum enthusiests over our cruise lifetime. So whenever we can add a new distillery, all the better. And we will be there next month!

Go for a run, turn left instead of right when back in town- easy. :D

We've hiked up the hill before and had a nice stroll around town. Last time (December) they men in our group had a great private charter fishing trip and had a good fishing day (mostly Wahoo) and back on the ship in plenty of time.

THANK YOU!!!

We've become rum enthusiests over our cruise lifetime. So whenever we can add a new distillery, all the better. And we will be there next month!

Go for a run, turn left instead of right when back in town- easy. :D

Your welcome :). We ended up buying two bottles- it's the clear is perfect for mojito s and the Buena Vista is great all on its own

On the western itinerary we didn't care much for Falmouth. We took a quick walk and then returned to the ship for an imaginary sea day.

same here. we looked for an excursion that we'd like to do, but the idea of being bussed someplace -- upwards of 2 hours -- was not appealing to us. so we got off, walked around the shops, ate some over priced lunch and got back on. total bust of a port.

Agreed. Why isn't San Juan or Turks/Caicos a better option?

I'm assuming it has something to do with being capable of taking larger ships.

Oasis and Allure are limited as to which ports can accommodate them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oasis and Allure are limited as to which ports can accommodate them.

Thus why I said... "I'm assuming it has something to do with being capable of taking larger ships."

My post was only 2 sentences long... that's too short for a TLDR;

Archived