Celebrity vs Royal Carribean

Geocat

We are thinking of The Celebrity Summit for January 2014. My only concern is that Royal C has been alot more casual in the dining room lately. Do cruisers typically dress up more in the dining room on Celebrity?

Are you saying that you prefer to dress up? Or do you prefer a more relaxed atmosphere in terms of wear?

Celebrity vs RCL is really so many other factors aside from clothing. Such as are you traveling with kids, have you cruised previously, do you like to have upteen activities at all hours, what kind of activities are you into, etc...

We do like to dress nice. I sometimes thought that men in shorts in the main dining room on Royal was a little casual. We have done 5 cruises all on Royal. We are in our 50's with no kids traveling with us. The last 2 cruises on Royal we thought there were to many unattended kids at all hours of the night. Plus the service has gone down on Royal...

You will love Celebrity. We are the same demographic as you and all of our X cruises have been wonderful. We also like to go on Royal on occasion since it's a lot more upbeat and we like the promenade ships, but Celebrity is also great.

The "M" class ships like Summit are nice, but the newer Solstice class ships are our favorites and more like the bigger Royal ships. Kind of depends on your preferences, but you really can't go wrong.

If you don't smoke you'll love Celebrity's no smoking policy.

Since you've done 5 cruises you will be able to be "Select" level on Celebrity. You'll have to call the Captain's Club ahead of time to sign up, but they will give you equal status. That's a nice perk since it gets you some coupons and a special invite to an event.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/membershipBenefits.do#captains_club_tier_select/captainsclub/membershipTierDetails.do%3Fpagename=captains_club_tier_select

Tom

We do like to dress nice. I sometimes thought that men in shorts in the main dining room on Royal was a little casual. We have done 5 cruises all on Royal. We are in our 50's with no kids traveling with us. The last 2 cruises on Royal we thought there were to many unattended kids at all hours of the night. Plus the service has gone down on Royal...

We were loyal Royals (Diamond) until the ever-present-and-annoying smoke got to us, and we tried Celebrity and loved it! We are in our 50's and have sailed on Summit and Reflection. We honestly liked Summit, the smaller ship, better than Reflection, but that is just a matter of taste. Dress in the dining room has seemed to be a little nicer than on some of our Royal cruises, and there do seem to be fewer children on board.

DH and I are 48 and seasoned cruisers. Cruised the Summit this past January and loved it so much we're doing the alternate itinerary this coming January. We sailed Aqua Class; therefore, were able to eat in Blu. We enjoy dressing nicely for dinner and found the clientele in Blu followed this line of thinking. One evening we decided to "try" the MDR and found folks to be much more casually dressed, the food just so-so, and the service fair. We love strict smoking policy - only encountered a smoker once on the pool deck and simply moved to the other side of the ship. I would definately encourage you to book either Concierge Class or Aqua Class so you can enjoy the great food and excellent service of Blu.

We are thinking of The Celebrity Summit for January 2014. My only concern is that Royal C has been alot more casual in the dining room lately. Do cruisers typically dress up more in the dining room on Celebrity?

We were on the Freedom Oct '11 and most in he MDR were dressed as suggested. IMHO you will find more Celebrity cruisers following the suggested dress every night than even on RCCL.

We love getting dressed for dinner and always change into something smart. I am in my 30's and my 4 year olds favourite are the 'formal' nights when he gets his kilt on and mummy wears long evening gowns. I know some don't enjoy but it is one of the real highlights of the cruise for us which is why we choose to cruise celebrity :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've done 4 cruises with RCCL and 11 with Celebrity. I had great cruises on both lines. I've just come to prefer X. I always thought I might go with RCCL again if I coudn't get the itinerary I wanted on X. However, I have read a lot of complaints about the smoking on RCCL. It was not a dealbreaker before, but now I'm so spoiled with the stricter policy on X, that I probably would stick with them.

We found that guests on Celebrity follow the dress code much better than that of RCI. In fact on RCI I have been on cruises where the MDR resembled a high school cafeteria with shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps being the desired dress. We did not see that on X. I'm sure that RCI will soon relax their suggested dress code to match that of Dismey and Carnival.

I have found that on RCI cruises that are not in the Caribbean, people dress better.

I have sailed extensively on both lines and each one has something special for me. I love the X non-smoking policy and only wish RCI would adopt it as well, but I miss the Tutti salad bar on sea days that is only on RCI ships.

I think RCI has a hugely better buffet than Celebrity and I favor the food on RCI over X, though X's food is very handsomely presented.

We favor the smaller ships so we've only done M class and Century and the largest RCI ships have been Voyager class, but we love the Radiance class as it's so similar to the M class ships.

Staying away from Caribbean sailings we don't encounter so many children on RCI, so I can't really comment about that, but we do feel there is a slower pace on X ships and an older, more sedate, demographic.

Frankly, if I like the ports and the price, I'll go just as easily with either line. Often X is cheaper than RCI.

Archived