Royal - Canada/New England - What would you choose?

madelinerose

Hi. I am considering the 7-day port intensive itinerary with only 1 sea day, the last day, at the end of September, 2014.

My cabin choices would be a D4 aft deluxe balcony on Baja or Dolphin deck or midship Mini suite with the slightly larger balcony.

Although I would enjoy the mini more, I am thinking that because it may be chilly the aft balcony would be more shielded from the wind and, of course, the balcony would be larger.

The difference is approximately $800 total. What would you choose? :confused:

Having done Canada/NE 2x, we spent very little time outside on the balcony as the cruise is very port intensive, we would be gone all day, come back and get ready for dinner and then shows. We had minisuites for both but simply for the reason that we like larger rooms. I wouldn't factor a balcony size into the decision as I doubt you will spend much time out there.

Also, the scenery from the ship is very minimal! You really don't see fall foliage from the ship as the ship sails pretty far from land. The only time we enjoyed the balcony was in Saint John, New Brunswick. They had bag pipers playing outside at the pier and were quite impressive.

Having done Canada/NE 2x, we spent very little time outside on the balcony as the cruise is very port intensive, we would be gone all day, come back and get ready for dinner and then shows. We had minisuites for both but simply for the reason that we like larger rooms. I wouldn't factor a balcony size into the decision as I doubt you will spend much time out there.

Also, the scenery from the ship is very minimal! You really don't see fall foliage from the ship as the ship sails pretty far from land. The only time we enjoyed the balcony was in Saint John, New Brunswick. They had bag pipers playing outside at the pier and were quite impressive.

Thanks, Coral. Just the info I needed. ;)

We had a balcony on our Canada/New England cruise, and I am glad that we did. I got some fabulous shots of the lighthouses from our balcony. Had I waited, I would have had none - as a heavy fog rolled in. When we went on our shore excursions, but most of the lighthouses were invisible, shrouded in pea soup fog. So, I would suggest that if you can, get a balcony. We love balcony cabins. :)

No oceanview cabins is a deal breKER FOR ME ON A nEW eNGLAND CRUISE. i REFUSE TO PAY A PREMIUM FOR A BALCONY i WILL NOT USE. iF i AM GOING TO PAY EAXTRA, i WANT INDOOR SPACE IN CLIMATES THAT ARE COOER.

We are also considering the Royal next September. This would be our fourth trip north and love the itinerary. Yes, a regular balcony would be just fine as it will be cooler and you won't have much of a chance to use it....enjoy:)

We had a balcony on our Canada/New England cruise, and I am glad that we did. I got some fabulous shots of the lighthouses from our balcony. Had I waited, I would have had none - as a heavy fog rolled in. When we went on our shore excursions, but most of the lighthouses were invisible, shrouded in pea soup fog. So, I would suggest that if you can, get a balcony. We love balcony cabins. :)

Thanks Louise & redtogo! :D

Yes, we always get a balcony, but for now the deluxe balcony vs. the minisuite seems to be the way to go. While I prefer the look and the space of the mini, practicality may win this time. ;)

We were on the Canada/New England cruise last fall. Although we love a balcony and have booked one on every cruise since 2004, we decided since it was so port intensive, we really didn't need one and thought it would be too cool to sit out there for only one day. As stated above, you really don't see any land while sailing. We had an ocean view and felt that was quite adequate. Never spent much time in there due to being in port all day. Go for the least expensive balcony.

Enjoy the cruise!

We were on the Canada/New England cruise last fall. Although we love a balcony and have booked one on every cruise since 2004, we decided since it was so port intensive, we really didn't need one and thought it would be too cool to sit out there for only one day. As stated above, you really don't see any land while sailing. We had an ocean view and felt that was quite adequate. Never spent much time in there due to being in port all day. Go for the least expensive balcony.

Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks love2cruisegal. ;)

Archived