Affordable Charleston parking options?

Gabruska

Hi, I have done some searching for parking options. Port parking $17.00/day!!:confused: that's little steep if you sailing for a week! The hotel stays and free parking option is a good idea still will cost over $100.00, but is there just parking (no hotel stay) more affordable option available like park and cruise etc.???? Thanks

Unfortunately parking in downtown Charleston is at a premium, so to my knowledge there is no off-site cheaper parking other than a park-n-cruise hotel. We will be getting off the Fantasy when you board. We got the park-n-cruise rate at the Red Roof Inn in Mt. Pleasant for $65. No shuttle, will take taxi for around $15 or so. It still comes out to be a little more than paying at the port, but we always drive in the day before and stay overnight anyway, so it evens out.

We cruised Fantasy 2 summers ago and at that time we found a few park/cruise options where you can get a shuttle and leave your car for the week on this link have you seen it? http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/ Most are not downtown, but if you want a free shuttle it's available. They were 2 or 3 downtown but they were more expensive.

We stayed at the Aloft and they provided a free shuttle but don't think they do that package anymore and even if they did I wouldn't recommend them. My relative stayed at a different hotel that let her park her car there for the week and had a free shuttle there/back will see if she remembers where if so I'll come back and post that info.

Also try the ports board - someone there may be able to help.

Good luck!

It looks like the hotel stay and park is the best option at least we get more of Charleston if we arrive one day early ;-) Wonder what is the earliest time to get on board for 4pm cruise? I found Park n Go at the airport for $7.00/night but than $15.00 for taxi each way. so I would rather stay in the hotel ;-)

I've stayed at the Econolodge in Mt. Pleasant all 4 times I went on Fantasy. They keep the car in front of the reception area so they can keep eyes on them and they provide transportation to and from. For the 7 day it only cost $15.00 more than parking at port and didn't have to deal with the traffic. We had transport take us at 10:30 and were the 1st on the ship after the wedding parties 2x.

This thread will give you all the info you might need:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628998&page=37

I've found that unless you are coming in the night before parking at the port is your best bet. It is a secured patrolled covered parking area, you are shuttled directly to the terminal from the parking garage and same going back. You can walk back but all passengers are "shuttled" to the entrance of the terminal, just the way Charleston is regardless of whether you park at the port or not.

If staying the night before I suggest a Mt. Pleasant hotel as your first choice, as a general rule do not pick a North Charleston hotel. Some are good/great but the difference between a bad area and good can be a street and I would not leave an unattended car over 5 or more nights.

There are city parking garages sort of near the port but it would be a bit of a hike both ways with all luggage, and is close to what it cost at the port and although a city parking garage it's not open 24/7 so again not secure.

Hope this helps... Have a great cruise!

We will be on Fantasy in November. We have tossed around a hotel park and cruise vs parking at the port. I understand parking at the port is free with a handicap placard so we are leaning toward port parking. Then we are on our way to KY without having to go back to the hotel. Any thoughts?

We will be on Fantasy in November. We have tossed around a hotel park and cruise vs parking at the port. I understand parking at the port is free with a handicap placard so we are leaning toward port parking. Then we are on our way to KY without having to go back to the hotel. Any thoughts?

If you have the placard then yes I would definitely park at the port... for just the reason you stated, free and you are on your way!

Honestly I have about given up on the "park and cruise" packages at other ports(I live 15 minutes from Charleston port and have family drop us off). Last Nov. at PC and in May going out of Jacksonville I found hotels within 30 miles of the port that were in the $65-70 range without the package and parked at the port. At PC the hotels right at the port are in the $180+ range for the park and cruise rate (without still around $140). The night I was looking at last Nov. was going to be over $200 after taxes for one night including parking and shuttle. I got a hotel in Titusville (Hampton Inn) for $72 including tax and paid $105 for parking at the port. Less than the P&C package AND I was in my car 15 minutes after leaving the ship. Not quite as good for Jacksonville, cost about $30 more parking at the port BUT again I was in my car headed home shortly after leaving the ship... to me well worth the extra money.

I hope those using handicapped placards to park for free have handicapped people with them. We took my 85-year-old mother-in-law with us last year on the Fantasy. I'm not sure parking for free made up for having her in the cabin next to ours. DH said his vacation really started when we dropped her off after the cruise.

I hope those using handicapped placards to park for free have handicapped people with them. We took my 85-year-old mother-in-law with us last year on the Fantasy. I'm not sure parking for free made up for having her in the cabin next to ours. DH said his vacation really started when we dropped her off after the cruise.

LOL:eek: - I completely understand! I guess no joining the balcony club!

My hubby would agree about the mother in law. This time we are 3 handicapped mothers in law going it alone. Thanks for the info.

Do we need proof of the placard belonging to us? I am afraid I will forget and leave it at home!

My hubby would agree about the mother in law. This time we are 3 handicapped mothers in law going it alone. Thanks for the info.

Do we need proof of the placard belonging to us? I am afraid I will forget and leave it at home!

Most likely not but if from another state it might be wise to bring it...

Archived