Banister Island Excursion

lovebears

We did it with NCL. Some people love it, others don't. We had a wonderful day there last December.

If you have never seen or held starfish, this is your place. They are everywhere! Not a lot of snorkeling (there are fish and sea life, just not a snorklers heaven) but definitely worth the visit if you want to see the starfish.

I have a complete review with TONS of pictures located in my signature line at the bottom of my name. Just click on the link to Bannister Island under my Star review and it will take you there. (Just make sure you look for the post number to find it...since everyone has different settings on their computers for this forum, the link may take you to a different area of the review that what it does for me). :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

:) We had a great day at Bannister Island.

Loved lazing around on the floats. You can see star fish in shallow water so a simple swim mask will work fine. Also suggest you take water shoes.

Not the best for avid snorkelers but we had a great time.

LuLu

~~~

:) We had a great day at Bannister Island.

Loved lazing around on the floats. You can see star fish in shallow water so a simple swim mask will work fine. Also suggest you take water shoes.

Not the best for avid snorkelers but we had a great time.

LuLu

~~~

Did you go recently? Several posts have said it was crowded and not enough chairs, many of them broken.

Did you go recently? Several posts have said it was crowded and not enough chairs, many of them broken.

Just so you know, I went last year and people said the same thing prior to us going and we didn't see or experience any of that. The only issue they had at the time we went was the bathroom facilities didn't have any running water that day.

Can anyone else chime in on their experience going on the Carnival excursion to Bannister Island. aka "Private Island Beach Break"? The reviews are terrible on Carnival's site, all 8 people who left a review only gave it one star and wouldn't recommend. I wonder if they are going somewhere else and not really to Bannister Island? :confused:

There are no venomous species of starfish in the Bahamas so you are not in danger there. However, if you love starfish I would advise you do not handle them. By removing a starfish from a rock or other hard surface (where almost all starfish will be found) you will damage the tube feet. The tube feet of a starfish are used not only for locomotion, but also for smell and taste. The feet are very small and fragile and are easily torn off. Admire these animals in their natural environment and leave them healthy so that others can also enjoy them.

Source(s):

Marine biologist

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

All of the star fish I have ever encountered were on the bottom of the sandy floor and not on any rocks. There's barely any rocks at Bannister to begin with (which is why the snorkeling isn't great there).

I have been on tons of snorkeling excursions and had also read about them on here and other places, where the locals dive down and bring up starfish for everyone to hold. Why are the locals doing it then? Also, you go to the local zoo (at least a few that I have been to) that have "pet holding" tanks with starfish that you can "pet" and hold them. :confused:

Not looking for an arguement, just stating what I have seen, heard, experienced and of course done (and I'm sure others will continue to do as well whether they admit it or not).

Yes...and all of those people make money...kind of like the people that have those cute little lion cubs for people to take pics with at some of the cruise ship stops.

Just because a tour operator does it? Doesn't make it right. Just means they're making a profit off of it and lots of local government looks the other way on things like this since tourism makes so much money for the local economy. You should see the heartbreak amongst the animal lovers in Tortola over the TEN new dolphins who were brought in to live in the small pens there so that "swimming with the dolphins" can keep going on...another really great idea....

Not trying to start an argument either...just trying to raise awareness. I just try not to disturb nature - like some of the signs say in the Caribbean - "please take nothing beyond what you brought with you...and leave nothing behind but your footprints".

Sadly...it rarely happens.

"please take nothing beyond what you brought with you...and leave nothing behind but your footprints".

I love that saying. I have heard a smaller version of it, but like this one better. :) (It was something like "Only take with you what you brought with you." or something like that).

Yeah...varies from island to island....kinda like the signs in the bathrooms....the ones that say "on this island of sun and fun...we don't flush for number one..." :)

Anyway - sorry to hijack! We now return to our regularly scheduled programming - lol :)

Yeah...varies from island to island....kinda like the signs in the bathrooms....the ones that say "on this island of sun and fun...we don't flush for number one..." :)

Anyway - sorry to hijack! We now return to our regularly scheduled programming - lol :)

Oh my gosh. Love that too! :p

Archived