Dinners on river boats

gb88

It has been about 6 years since I've been on a river cruise. Just wondering about how much choice one has for food on board these days. I will be traveling with my sister who is mostly a vegan who also eats fish. I remember there being a buffet for breakfast and lunch but recall dinner as being a sit down dinner with only minimal choices. On ocean cruises the choices are more plentiful, and the chefs will cater to one's specific needs. Just wondered how this is handled these days on river cruises. Surely there are many people with restrictive diets who wish to experience a river cruise.

Viking's dinner menu always included a meat choice (beef, pork, etc), a fish choice and a vegetarian choice. As you've already noted, breakfast is indeed a buffet, but there are also limited items available from a menu. At lunch, there is an extensive salad bar buffet and soup choices, but also menu choices.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went on a river cruise with Avalon and I'd say not much has changed.

I thought the choices at dinner were minimal, and more importantly, the quality of the food mediocre and uninspiring.

I don't know if other lines do a better job with food, but that was the one thing I was not happy with on this trip.

Uniworld have a sample menu from each of their ships in Europe (except Queen Isabel Douro river) on their website.

Go to Uniworlds website, then "Why Uniworld", then click on

"Dining Experience". There is a link to "Sample Ship Menus".

Sound wonderful.

Would like to see a sample menu from Queen Isabel. Can anyone post one.

Thanks

As newfirsttimer noted, you can probably contact the cruise line ahead of time and ask if the chef onboard would be able to accommodate vegan requests. My assumption is that most of the river cruise lines would do so, but the quality of what they put out would be in question, especially if they're cooking a special dish for only one person.

Firsttimer - that was going to be my next question re. Gluten Free. I am medically Celiac ( gluten free) for 20 years. On cruise ships I don't have a problem but was not sure on a smaller vessel. Thanks for the info.

I would definitely contact the cruiseline directly. What I have discovered about River cruising is that they use regional cuisine and products much of the time, and each boat has its' own chef that takes care of the menus for that particular ship. As you can imagine, the galley is not very large, so they can't carry lots of supplies on board a river ship.

I will be taking my first European river cruise next year and have been on several ocean cruises where you can get seconds for the main dinner entrée and dessert because they have large kitchens. I like to eat. Can you get seconds for entrées and dessert for dinner also on river cruises. I am considering Avalon, Viking and Vantage.

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Yes, you can certainly get seconds on Viking. My husband and our friend would often order an extra entree and dessert after asking our ( terrific) server the size of the portions. Breakfast is a very expansive buffet, with a chef preparing omelets to order, and some dishes available from a limited menu. Lunch is a salad buffet with a pasta station, and soups and sandwiches and other items available from the menu. The Aquavit Terrace is a lovely spot for al fresco dining and has a light buffet at lunchtime only; very good sandwiches on freshly made breads, a soup choice, a few salads.

We have only cruised with Uniworld and know they are very accommodating when it comes to dietary restrictions and for those with 'healthy' appetites. You just have to let them know ahead of time so they can order in the right stuff. The chefs were known to discuss the evenings choices with the diabetics and celiacs ahead of time. Lots of vegetarian choices, as well.

I will be taking my first European river cruise next year and have been on several ocean cruises where you can get seconds for the main dinner entrée and dessert because they have large kitchens. I like to eat. Can you get seconds for entrées and dessert for dinner also on river cruises. I am considering Avalon, Viking and Vantage.

Thanks, Rick

I can only speak on Vantage and have done many cruises with them. I am not a vegan but I do follow a primarily plant based diet and wouldn't eat fish if I was starving! I have never had a problem on vantage or Celebrity as there was always a fish, meat an vegetarian choice as well as salmon, chicken and steak available all the time upon request. I have had some of the most wonderful and creative veggie entrees on river cruises and yes, if you want seconds all you need do is ask....many of us will request two desserts especially if it's pie or cake because you have to have ice-cream with pie and cake:D

Archived