Last name mismatch on documentation?

CookieShip

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, my mom is a US citizen and intends traveling with her certificate of naturalization and her driver's license. The problem is that her certificate of naturalization has her last name spelled one way (*eu**) and her driver's license has it spelled another way (*ia**).

The rest of us going with her have it spelled with *ia**, she does have some name change documentation that lists the *eu** (she changed her first name at the time). I booked her using the *ia** spelling.

1.Simple solution would be a passport, but she doesn't want the expense of getting one.

2. Next is travel as is, I'm not sure if it would pass the bar so to speak, could I have Carnival validate these are OK prior to travel?

3. Change the booking to *eu** for her (I believe I can do this since it's not yet final payment date) and have her update her DL to this spelling.

4. Have her do an official name change back to *ia**, no idea what is involved with this one.

5. Something else?

Since you booked with the cruise line, you need to call them. Her name will need to match.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, my mom is a US citizen and intends traveling with her certificate of naturalization and her driver's license. The problem is that her certificate of naturalization has her last name spelled one way (*eu**) and her driver's license has it spelled another way (*ia**).

The rest of us going with her have it spelled with *ia**, she does have some name change documentation that lists the *eu** (she changed her first name at the time). I booked her using the *ia** spelling.

1.Simple solution would be a passport, but she doesn't want the expense of getting one.

2. Next is travel as is, I'm not sure if it would pass the bar so to speak, could I have Carnival validate these are OK prior to travel?

3. Change the booking to *eu** for her (I believe I can do this since it's not yet final payment date) and have her update her DL to this spelling.

4. Have her do an official name change back to *ia**, no idea what is involved with this one.

5. Something else?

From my view point, she needs to get a passport, naturalization papers don't always fly. It is a lot cheaper than forfeiting her cruise fare. But, call the cruise line, and have them email you in writing if it is ok. If you say "so and so told me it was ok" they probably won't work their by the time you cruise.

Since you booked with the cruise line, you need to call them. Her name will need to match.

It does match her DL, but not the certificate of naturalization. And of course I am stuck making all the arrangements for this trip, but that is another story...

From my view point, she needs to get a passport, naturalization papers don't always fly. It is a lot cheaper than forfeiting her cruise fare. But, call the cruise line, and have them email you in writing if it is ok. If you say "so and so told me it was ok" they probably won't work their by the time you cruise.

Not sure if you meant fly as in on a plane (which she doesn't intend to do anytime soon and why she is resistant to getting a new passport) or fly as in pass. Though good idea on getting something in writing, I'll try contacting them soon.

OP, all names will need to match. I believe an original certificate of naturalization is an accepted form of documentation, per Carnival's website (below).

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below. Additionally, baptismal and hospital certificates, copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable.

· Valid U.S. Passport

· Passport Card

· Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

· Certificate of Naturalization

· Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

· Enhanced Tribal Card

· A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

· Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

So I've updated the booking to FirstName *eu** *ia** online, so it contains both last names just in case she doesn't get things done before final date...

I'm going to get in touch with her tomorrow to get her DL updated with hopefully not much pushback. I believe most of her accounts and things are opened with *ia** which is why she has kept her DL with that spelling, but I don't know why she changed it in the first place :mad:.

So I've updated the booking to FirstName *eu** *ia** online, so it contains both last names just in case she doesn't get things done before final date...

I'm going to get in touch with her tomorrow to get her DL updated with hopefully not much pushback. I believe most of her accounts and things are opened with *ia** which is why she has kept her DL with that spelling, but I don't know why she changed it in the first place :mad:.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is for you, but using both variations of the spelling is not correct.

How about if she gets a passport card? Cheaper than a passport and possibly even cheaper than changing her DL. but, I think she may still run into the same issue of her DL and naturalization papers not matching.

Good luck.

5. Something else?

certificate of naturalization?

What's that?

Read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1893953&highlight=standby

Even with proper documentation, this man was denied boarding, even though those documents were used on previous cruises. The people at the port cannot be depended upon to do the correct thing if the documentation is in the least bit unusual.

Get a passport, passport card, or enhanced drivers license if you live in a state where that is possible. The passport card is only $55.

Some people are telling you to get a passport card. Unless you are traveling by car to Mexico or Canada all the time, a passport card is almost worthless. Yes, you can use it to get on a cruise and it's less expensive, but if something happens and you can't make it back to the ship, then you need an actual passport to either get home or join the ship in the next port. You would basically be paying for a document that does nothing for you except get you on the ship.

The best thing to do would be to get a passport. I know it is expensive, but can you really predict that she won't need it in the next 10 years? It also makes customs faster and easier. That is the best way to be 100% sure that she will be able to board.

You should definitely NOT have both names on the booking. The first and last names on the driver's license and naturalization papers have to be exactly the same, and the name on her booking has to be exactly the same as it appears on whatever documentation she is using to travel. So if you update her driver's license to reflect the name she has on her naturalization papers, and change the booking to match the name on those two documents, that would be acceptable. That being said, just get a passport.

P.S.

GET A PASSPORT!

Well I just thought about this, we cruiser on 9/8 and my wifes passport has her maiden name on it. Her DL has her married name on it. What to do?

You can just make sure the name on her booking is the same as the name on her passport. If you are using the passport, you won't need the driver's license to check in. So just make sure that her booking is under her maiden name and when you do your online check in, use her passport as her travel document. If you booked her under her married name call Carnival or your travel agent if you booked with one, and they can change the name.

Well I just thought about this, we cruiser on 9/8 and my wifes passport has her maiden name on it. Her DL has her married name on it. What to do?

DD was told by Carnival to book under her maiden name until she updated her passport. She went ahead & updated her passport. Had to send in her passport along with a certified copy of her marriage cert.

Archived