December 29th, 2013 ms Nieuw Amsterdam Itinerary Change

jresn02

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION:

The December 29th, 2013 cruise departure on ms Nieuw Amsterdam will visit

Costa Maya, Mexico rather than Cozumel on Friday, January 3rd, 2014 due to

operational reasons. Never been before. Anyone have any suggestions. My kids love Cozumel so hopefully this is not a "bad replacement"

Since you have kids with you, they probably want some fun in the water. There is a pool there in the port and also a swim with the dolphins sort of thing - the same ones that they have in Cabo and Cozumel. But, if you walk through the port and out to the parking lot, you can get a gas-powered golf cart for about $50 for the entire day to take your entire family (seats 6-8 people) down to Mahahual - the closest town (they will give you a map to get there and it's all on roads). It's all along the water and BEAUTIFUL. It's protected by a reef that's about 300 yards offshore, the water is crystal clear and the golf cart ride over there is really fun (we did it with kids and they LOVED it). I always recommend a place called Nacional Beach Club there. It's run by a guy named Evan who is a transplant from Texas. His parents bought the property for him after the hurricane destroyed everything (the hurricane came ashore twice in Mahahual/Costa Maya - came in, went offshore for a few hours and then came in again). But, there are PLENTY of little resorts all along the beach . There is a beachwalk there too and plenty to do for the little ones. They can rent snorkel gear or floaties, etc. The tours tend to be a lot longer, like the ones to the ruins, which are fun for parents, but not so much for kids. Have a great time and check out Evan's place online when you have the chance. The best food I have ever had in Mexico (even though his chef is from Chile! :D).

Since you have kids with you, they probably want some fun in the water. There is a pool there in the port and also a swim with the dolphins sort of thing - the same ones that they have in Cabo and Cozumel. But, if you walk through the port and out to the parking lot, you can get a gas-powered golf cart for about $50 for the entire day to take your entire family (seats 6-8 people) down to Mahahual - the closest town (they will give you a map to get there and it's all on roads). It's all along the water and BEAUTIFUL. It's protected by a reef that's about 300 yards offshore, the water is crystal clear and the golf cart ride over there is really fun (we did it with kids and they LOVED it). I always recommend a place called Nacional Beach Club there. It's run by a guy named Evan who is a transplant from Texas. His parents bought the property for him after the hurricane destroyed everything (the hurricane came ashore twice in Mahahual/Costa Maya - came in, went offshore for a few hours and then came in again). But, there are PLENTY of little resorts all along the beach . There is a beachwalk there too and plenty to do for the little ones. They can rent snorkel gear or floaties, etc. The tours tend to be a lot longer, like the ones to the ruins, which are fun for parents, but not so much for kids. Have a great time and check out Evan's place online when you have the chance. The best food I have ever had in Mexico (even though his chef is from Chile! :D).

Thank you for the great recommendation. Is this place like Nachi Coccum? My kids will be 7+4 so they do like the pool. Both can swim. I am sure they would like the golf cart!!!

Do they rent Jet Ski's Anywhere?

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION:

The December 29th, 2013 cruise departure on ms Nieuw Amsterdam will visit

Costa Maya, Mexico rather than Cozumel on Friday, January 3rd, 2014 due to

operational reasons. Never been before. Anyone have any suggestions. My kids love Cozumel so hopefully this is not a "bad replacement"

Costa Maya was basically cut out of the jungle using funds supplied by carnival Corp. It's not a bad stop; kids seem to love the pool; adults like the "swim-up bar". It's a sun lovers-type of place. Crew News mentions the excursion to Checcoben/Kohunlich; that's a nice one if you're into the Mayan world (not as impressive as Chichen-Itza, but still interesting). On they way back, you'll make a stop at Bacalar. Didn't know about the golf-cart rental Indokiwi is referring to. Seems like a nouveau way to get to Mahahual. Don't be surprised if you encounter a Mexican Military/Policia Federal roadblock just outside Costa Maya. They're looking for dope traffickers. I'll be on NADM also

374134_10150840413165729_237481384_n.jpg

Costa Maya village/Bar/Pool

405528_10151152936885729_1239338439_n.jpg

Kohunlich ruins

387100_10151152943845729_576050957_n.jpg

Bacalar beach club

Costa Maya is a great replacement. The port area is quite nice. A tour of the nearby Mayan ruins might be a great educational experience for youngsters, although, you haven't specified their ages..

I would take a stop in Costa Maya over Cozumel anytime. IMO, Cozumel is over rated and overcrowded by cruise ships. I still haven't figured out why.

Archived