"Wireless Maritime Services" Marina

llarsen

Ever since O introduced the unlimited internet packages, I have always taken advantage of them.

On our upcoming TA from BCN to MIA we have over $1000 in OBC (various sources) and as we don't drink and there are very few shore excursions, the internet package is the perfect fit for me. I'll be able to watch any and all football games I want on my iPad with my DTV NFL Sunday package. :D

The only problem will be the time difference :(

Edited by Paulchili

Ever since O introduced the unlimited internet packages, I have always taken advantage of them.

On our upcoming TA from BCN to MIA we have over $1000 in OBC (various sources) and as we don't drink and there are very few shore excursions, the internet package is the perfect fit for me. I'll be able to watch any and all football games I want on my iPad with my DTV NFL Sunday package. :D

The only problem will be the time difference :(

Ah, another fellow sports fan! We watched some of the NCAA basketball tournament games the "next" morning while we were in Asia.

OT - We are going to be back in Barcelona in early November and the night b4 our cruise want to go back to the tapas place where we saw you and Marsha a couple of years ago. You may not remember seeing us but hopefully you remember the tapas place. I can't find the name in my notes. Great place. Thanks.

I have a question in reference to the iMessage feature on iPhone. As long as we are signed into the ship's WiFi network, or on Wifi somewhere ashore, those messages are free and unlimited, correct?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Viber app (for all concerned) to keep in touch with our daughters and my parents while we are away.

Also, did anyone answer the question in reference to using FaceTime onboard?

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ah, another fellow sports fan! We watched some of the NCAA basketball tournament games the "next" morning while we were in Asia.

OT - We are going to be back in Barcelona in early November and the night b4 our cruise want to go back to the tapas place where we saw you and Marsha a couple of years ago. You may not remember seeing us but hopefully you remember the tapas place. I can't find the name in my notes. Great place. Thanks.

Hi Joanna,

Yes, I remember, although it was your sharp eye that spotted us (I was daydreaming).

The restaurant is Cuidad Condal:

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/restaurants/tapas/ciudad-condal-cerveceria

Enjoy!

Paul

Hi Joanna,

Yes, I remember, although it was your sharp eye that spotted us (I was daydreaming).

The restaurant is Cuidad Condal:

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/restaurants/tapas/ciudad-condal-cerveceria

Enjoy!

Paul

Gracies, Paul. Hope we meet up again someday. Until then, smooth sailings to you and Marsha. Another big thank you for your Prefeered Sapphire tip. We are enjoying our points free travel and have other friends who have taken advantage of it, too.

Gracies, Paul. Hope we meet up again someday. Until then, smooth sailings to you and Marsha. Another big thank you for your Prefeered Sapphire tip. We are enjoying our points free travel and have other friends who have taken advantage of it, too.

You are welcome.

BTW - check this out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475783-citi-aa-credit-cards-best-offers-now-50k-read-wikipost-first.html

Just saying....

Fair winds and following seas to you as well.

Go Hoosiers :D

I have a question in reference to the iMessage feature on iPhone. As long as we are signed into the ship's WiFi network, or on Wifi somewhere ashore, those messages are free and unlimited, correct?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Viber app (for all concerned) to keep in touch with our daughters and my parents while we are away.

Also, did anyone answer the question in reference to using FaceTime onboard?

Thanks!

Good question about the imessage feature. Can that be used international? May be worth a call to AT&T.

FSU85- Thank you for recommending Viber. I (and my kids) installed it and it works beautifully!

I made an appointment with the Genius Bar at our local Apple Store. I was told that iMessages, Facetime and Viber will all be free of charge at places we have wifi.

He said to put my iphone on Airplane Mode, turn on Wifi and I will not have any roaming charges. (Hope he's correct)

Viber will allow us to make free phone calls along with text messaging. He said you can also make calls from iMessage? Haven't tried that, but Viber does work very well.

Thanks for your help!

One other question....if anyone knows:

I'm thinking of getting the ships per minute package or the 100mins. How many minutes does it generally take to send a photo or post one to FaceBook? We will be on Marina.

One other question....if anyone knows:

I'm thinking of getting the ships per minute package or the 100mins. How many minutes does it generally take to send a photo or post one to FaceBook? We will be on Marina

That depends on how many of your shipmates are attempting similar activities.

On any ship, there is a finite amount of Internet capacity to go around. The fastest speeds are usually at odd hours (very late at night, for example).

I made an appointment with the Genius Bar at our local Apple Store. I was told that iMessages, Facetime and Viber will all be free of charge at places we have wifi.

He said to put my iphone on Airplane Mode, turn on Wifi and I will not have any roaming charges. (Hope he's correct)

Viber will allow us to make free phone calls along with text messaging. He said you can also make calls from iMessage? Haven't tried that, but Viber does work very well.

Thank you! Just the information I was looking for.

I have kept my iphone on Airplane mode on previous Europe trips and have never incurred any charges, roaming or otherwise.

Those type of bandwidth heavy applications are blocked at the base.

Thanks, Jim.

• 2 months later...
That depends on how many of your shipmates are attempting similar activities.

On any ship, there is a finite amount of Internet capacity to go around. The fastest speeds are usually at odd hours (very late at night, for example).

On a cruise on Celebrity last November I sent several photos at different times. For each photo it took from 30 seconds to 3 minutes (they were small - about 1 Mbyte). It was about the same on a cruise with Tauck in May last year

There was mention in this thread of using your cell phone. As an example, Verizon charges $25/100MB vice Oceania's $80/100 MB, but Oceania may add a surcharge of their own for using your cell phone on board - check with them before you sail. You need to enable Global Data with your carrier before you go, since your regular data plan will not include that. Be sure to disable it after you return.

If you wait until you dock you'll connect through the local mobile system since the ship is required to disable the on-board system near land. Verizon will automatically add additional blocks of 100 MB as you need them. Of course, your phone needs to work in that country. A global-ready phone will work in more countries than a U.S. GSM or CDMA phone, since the frequency bands are often different. I use a RAZR MAXX which is global-ready. No additional SIM is needed. You can also buy a local SIM card, but that's not usually practical for short stays. You will need data on your cell phone anyway if you plan to use Google Maps - very useful when traveling.

You can easily connect your tablet or laptop to your phone to use them as well. There are a number of free apps available to enable and support this. DON'T go to your carrier for help with this as they will try to sell you an extra service for that. The FCC requires them to support the third-part apps for free. I use Easy Tether. Set this up and try it before you leave, especially if you're using Apple products to be sure you have the right cables and dongles.

Be sure you disable automatic updates on Apple/Android, and on apps before you go. Also disable auto updates on your laptop or tablet, both the operating system and the virus protection. They can use a lot of data. And don't even think of using Skype (although it's cheaper than a phone call, if you must) or Facebook. Most social networks consume a lot of data in the background.

An additional tip: Sending an email is cheaper than a text message. They'll probably nick you for something like $.50 per text message, easily 10 times what the data for a typical email (without attachments) costs.

Finding an internet cafe ashore is not as easy as it once was. It may be easier to find a free hot spot. I have used them in Athens and Thessaloniki. In Athens there was one near the subway stop across the street from my pre-cruise hotel. There are a lot of web sites that list them. Download a list before you go.

Has anyone used "Facetime" through the ship's WiFi? I spoke to a friend who recently travelled to Europe. This is how she connected with family through her Ipad.

I don't know about Oceania, but I was on a recent TA on the Royal Princess. I was able to use FaceTime to speak to family at home. The connection wasn't always the best, but it did work. It's worth a try.

I don't know about Oceania, but I was on a recent TA on the Royal Princess. I was able to use FaceTime to speak to family at home. The connection wasn't always the best, but it did work. It's worth a try.

I was able to use FaceTime on Marina last month. My experience was similar to yours. At times, the connection was great. Other times ... Not so much. But it did work.