What Would You Do?

Calkacky

I love to take pics and take a ton of them. I took my first cruise on the Triumph in June of this year and brought both my DSLR and my point and shoot and took TONS of pics using both cameras. I'm cruising the Triumph again Dec. 2nd with the same itinerary. I'm loosely considering leaving my DSLR at home and just traveling with my small point and shoot. I want to pack lighter this cruise and leaving my DSLR at home is a consideration since I just did this same sailing. What would you do? I'd love to hear from anyone but especially others who've done the same cruise relatively close together.

Thanks!

It would drive me crazy not to have a camera with a few interchangeable lenses along!

I would (and did!) look at getting one of the micro 4 thirds cameras. Mirror-less, small and light, very good IQ. Perfect travel companion.

Ketchikan, Alaska

P1020334-1.jpg

I usually carry my D7K along with 3-4 lenses, and other gear, and would never consider leaving them home if I've never been to a particular place.

However, last February 2012, I did a quick 4-night trip to Rome. I had been there several times and was going again that fall so I left everything at home except for my Canon S95. I was very pleased with my photos.

Monica

Only you can decide how much stuff you want to pack, but I would never take just one camera. Who knows if it will fail or not. If you like taking photos - and it appears you do - would you be comfortable with not having a camera if it failed?

I take probably too much camera gear, but it is only a chore on embarkation and returning days. I drive rather than fly, so I don't have a hassle through the airport (if I did, I might rethink my strategy).

Typically I take a DSLR and a few lenses. I tried to cut down on the lenses by buying a 18-200mm, but it just seems I still take too many.

I also take a mirrorless (Nikon V1) as a backup, and a point-and-shoot as a pocket camera. I don't know how many times a photo op presented itself and I left my camera in the stateroom.

And a waterproof camera...

And a video camera...

And a POV camera...

All and all, only the DSLR requires a lot of space and weight. The other cameras are all small'ish.

Archived