Aida cruises - any experiences?

I intend to do a Baltic cruise in 2014 and as I live very close to Rostock/Warnemünde it makes no sense to waste a day of a cruise there when I could use it as my port of embarkation.

Aida have cruises which would suit but I know that they are aimed at the German tourist and, although I have a decent working knowledge of German, I wondered if there would be any problems, especially with tours in SPB.

Any experience as an English-speaking passenger on an Aida cruise, not necessarily in the Baltic, would be appreciated.

Anni

A little old, but I don't believe has changed much. Did you read this thread?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1335973

There are also other relevant threads in the AIDA forum: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426143

Hi, thanks for the info. These threads have answered a lot of my questions. Think I will give it a go. I manage to live here on my own sucessfully so a week on a ship should be a breeze!

Cheers from one Aussie to another ;)

Anni

If you are concerned with language problems, you do not have to take a ship's tour in St Petersburg. You can book an English-speaking tour with a local operator and will be covered by a block visa the same way as you would be with a ship's tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Aida is somewhat of a budget line, when compared to many of the mass market US Lines, and most passengers are German speaking. If you are fluent or speak some German it might be fun...but otherwise it could be a challenge.

Hank

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I was looking specifically for a cruise which either started/ended in Warnemünde or did not have Berlin on the itinerary and found one with RCI Legend of the Seas starting in Copenhagen (which is only a train ride from my home) and calling Tallin, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm with two days at sea.

This suits me fine so I'm all booked for 10th May and enthusiastically planning.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I was looking specifically for a cruise which either started/ended in Warnemünde or did not have Berlin on the itinerary and found one with RCI Legend of the Seas starting in Copenhagen (which is only a train ride from my home) and calling Tallin, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm with two days at sea.

This suits me fine so I'm all booked for 10th May and enthusiastically planning.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Bon Voyage!!:D Now hop on over to your roll call and join the fun that way!

Archived