New to RCI but not to cruising - dress code question

You know you mentioned on the other "Dress code" thread something about the upper class cruises don't do "formal nights" anymore because those people don't have to pretend...

That got me thinking about how and why I feel the way I do. Maybe different from others, but this my thought. We are rednecks that live in a small mining town about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from the nearest big city like Denver. No matter what your financial class or situation, we just don't have nice venues in our area where we get to dress up. Twice a year we have events where we wear our Victorian attire, but whenever we have the opportunity to go to an event in "the city" where we get an opportunity to dress up, we do. And it's nice to be surrounded by all the others that are dressed in the same way.

I suppose it's selfish of me to feel that way, not thinking of the folks that get to dress up all the time and are just tired of it. It's cold up here at 11,000ft and we have 2 months out of the year to wear anything other than our under armor, jeans and snow boots. Wearing cute open toe shoes are a huge treat for us.

So, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my idea of "everyone should dress up on formal nights" attitude.

Can't we all just get along? :)

Aurora,

Thanks for the nice reply, and I know where Leadville is - great railroad history there!

I too certainly mean no offense, and I am glad that you enjoy your opportunity to get dressed up. Since I choose not to participate in formal night, my wife and I go to a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer on those evenings. The way I look at it, why spoil it for others? I have no point or agenda to make, so let those who want a nice experience enjoy it.

We all look forward to our upcoming cruises for different reasons, and if someone is really looking forward to formal night, why ruin it for them? I certainly wouldn't want anyone taking away my time in the Solarium!

Have a good one.

... we take the picture ( No matter if we buy them or not we just like to pose for them) with a couple of the different backgrounds and the picture with the Captain which you can only do if you are dressed for the occassion.

Revenue, baby, revenue.

Im sure I read that the top end lines like Silversea, Azamara, Seabourn don't do formal dressing up nights.......just pretentious people on mass market lines who like to dress up, who throw their toys out of their pram if anyone else isn't as pretentious as them.

Im sure I read that the top end lines like Silversea, Azamara, Seabourn don't do formal dressing up nights.......just pretentious people on mass market lines who like to dress up, who throw their toys out of their pram if anyone else isn't as pretentious as them.

So if one likes to dress up for Formal Night they're pretentious?:rolleyes::mad:

Nice.:cool::rolleyes:

Silversea has formal nights and from everything I can gather they ENFORCE their dress code. Azamara doesnt have formal nights. Seabourn is "formal optional"

Here is an interesting breakdown of the various cruiselines (both mass market and luxury) and their formal night requirements/recommendations. It is very interesting to me that 3 of the luxury lines are "always casual" along with Carnival and NCL.

THE FORMAL SET

• Crystal Cruises There are often three formal nights on longer cruises. Dress recommendations include tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit and tie for men and evening dress or gown for women.
  • Cunard Line The British line remains quite dressy, with as many as three formal evenings a week requiring black tie or a formal dark suit for men and evening dress for women in all public areas in the evening.
  • Costa Cruises Two “gala” evenings per sailing with suits recommended for men and cocktail dresses for women.
  • Disney Cruise Line There are formal, semi-formal, “dress-up” as well as casual nights.. Formal means tuxedo or suit for men and gown or dress for women. Semi-formal recommends a jacket for men.
  • Fred. Olsen Cruise Line There are formal-wear nights, as well as themed nights that suggest such things as tropical or rock and roll costumes
  • Holland America Generally there are two formal nights a week with a choice of tuxedo or dark suit and tie for men.
  • P&O Cruises. This European line still recommends black-tie attire a couple of days a week, (with options being a dark suit or kilt and jacket).
  • Seabourn Cruise Line Usually only one formal evening on cruises up to 13 nights and two for 14 nights or longer. However most evenings are described as elegantly casual, which means men wear a jacket, with or without tie and women wear skirt or slacks with a blouse.
  • Silversea Cruises Two formal nights per cruise. Gowns or cocktail dresses are suggested for women and tuxedos or dark suits for men.

GET DRESSY IF YOU LIKE

• Celebrity Cruises There are one or two formal nights a cruise but the line suggests only that men may “prefer” a tuxedo or dress sit and women an evening gown. A majority do, particularly on European itineraries.
  • MSC Cruises There are one or two formal evenings on cruises in which men are requested to wear a suit or jacket and tie and women a cocktail dress. “Casual resort wear” applies on other evenings.
  • Oceania Cruises No formal evenings but recommend evening attire is “elegant casual.” Passengers tend to be dressy after 6 in the evening.
  • Royal Caribbean International One or two formal nights and while many men opt for tuxedos many go with jackets or suits; women choose cocktail dresses.
  • Princess Cruises There’s one formal evening per week on cruises and men have a choice of tuxedo or dark suit, ladies a a cocktail dress or gown or elegant pant suit.

ALWAYS CASUAL

• Azamara Club Cruises No formal nights, but while the brochure says “Formal evening wear is not expected nor required” it adds:” If you prefer to dress more formally, you are welcome to do so.”
  • Carnival Cruise Lines It’s “cruise casual” most nights but two nights are described as “cruise elegant” which is defined as dress slacks and shirts with optional sport coat for men and cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses for women.
  • Norwegian Cruise Line The “freestyle” cruise line has no formal dress code other than suggesting collared shirts and slacks or “nice” jeans for men. Some restaurants are reserved for those who want to “dress up.”
  • Regent Seven Seas Cruises The evening dress codes are almost always elegantly casual, with sport jackets optional for men and dresses, skirts or slacks and blouses or sweaters recommended for women.
  • Windstar Cruises “Casual elegance” is described as slacks and collared shirts or polos for men, sundresses, slacks or informal cocktail dresses for women.

It's annoying to have new threads constantly started on topics that have been rehashed ad nauseum, when you can do a simple search -- here or cast a wider net -- and find all the opinions on the matter you could ever want. And how am I bashing people, exactly?

There are no simple searches on Cruise Critic. It seems to me it's far easier to skip over a thread.

Maybe its because on the top end lines, everyone knows they're wealthy to be able to afford the cruise, but on the mass market lines, people feel the need to dress up in a tuxedo to show off their wealth?

You've got a really twisted idea of the reason(s) for dressing up. Where did you come up with that? Never in all my life, when dressing up for an event, a night out, Formal Night on a cruise, or anything else have I thought of dressing to "show off my wealth".:rolleyes: I've sometimes dressed to show off a little of my "assets", but never my wealth.:p And I never thought that someone would think I was wealthy because I was dressed up. I mean, really?!!? What does one have to do with the other?

And let me get this straight, according to you, not only are people who like to dress up for Formal Night on mass market cruises pretentious, but you're also implying that we can't really afford the cruise? Is that what you're saying?

It's interesting that you have such a grasp on everyone else's motives, financial situations, and inner thoughts.:rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot, those of us that like to dress up aren't only prententious and unable to afford the cruise, we are also tantrum-throwing babies, right?:cool:

You've got a really twisted idea of the reason(s) for dressing up. Where did you come up with that? Never in all my life, when dressing up for an event, a night out, Formal Night on a cruise, or anything else have I thought of dressing to "show off my wealth".:rolleyes: I've sometimes dressed to show off a little of my "assets", but never my wealth.:p And I never thought that someone would think I was wealthy because I was dressed up. I mean, really?!!? What does one have to do with the other?

And let me get this straight, according to you, not only are people who like to dress up for Formal Night on mass market cruises pretentious, but you're also implying that we can't really afford the cruise? Is that what you're saying?

It's interesting that you have such a grasp on everyone else's motives, financial situations, and inner thoughts.:rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot, those of us that like to dress up aren't only prententious and unable to afford the cruise, we are also tantrum-throwing babies, right?:cool:

Good analysis, Shaky... LOL

Good analysis, Shaky... LOL

Agreed.

Hey Froggit, take it easy. I read your post and all I can say is... ouch. Kinda harsh, man.

Everyone should have the freedom to dress as they see fit. Personal choice (to dress up or not) is a great thing. :D

Everyone should have the freedom to dress as they see fit.

That's my point exactly......and people in a tux shouldn't be dissing the people at the next table in a polo and dockers......"it spoiled my holiday". And if I'm the one in the polo, I couldn't give a stuff what you are wearing at the next table.

And if it bothers you that much, go Cunard.......that line is full of tuxedos and oxygen tanks.

That's my point exactly......and people in a tux shouldn't be dissing the people at the next table in a polo and dockers......"it spoiled my holiday". And if I'm the one in the polo, I couldn't give a stuff what you are wearing at the next table.

And if it bothers you that much, go Cunard.......that line is full of tuxedos and oxygen tanks.

If that is your point ("everyone should have the freedom to dress as they see fit"), you have a very poor way of making it.

You just seem bent on insulting people who prefer to dress for dinner, and lumping us all into one very nasty category. Why is that? I might take a guess. However, although assuming and assigning others' motives appears to be your forte, it is not mine.

Maybe you didn't read my original post......

Originally Posted by Havingfun2010 viewpost.gif

The majority of the people show respect on formal night, and dress appropriately for the occasion. Some however, feel it's their vacation, and they don't care. They are in the clear minority and stick out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted by Froggitt

It is their vacation, and no-one should care what they wear.

Its the "dinner dressers" that appear to have a problem with "dress downers", not the other way round.

I am sure I will be sorry I asked this question, but I tried searching through the forum to find an answer and couldn't find a clear cut version. I read the long alternative take on dress code, and didn't find it there either.

We are considering our first RCI cruise in 2014 as part of a group. I have mostly sailed on Disney (as adults, and without kids), although I have also been on NCL and HAL. I was ready to book the cruise until I read the MDR dress code which indicates the wear for the various nights. I understand that we have options other than the MDR and obviously we could choose not to go on RCI at all. Typically, we will usually dress in nice slacks and a button down shirt or maybe a nice polo for dinner, but that's as dressed up as we are going to get.

We do understand fine dining, but I will tell you that no fine dining restaurant in our metropolitan area requires anything more than that. We both work for one of the 100 largest corporations in America and we are not required to dress up more than that so why would I do that on a cruise when it's my vacation.

Not looking for a major discussion on dress code here. We've all read everyone's opinions about it. Just looking for the answer as to what is considered acceptable on RCI. In the main dining room will be fine with slacks and a nice button down or polo shirt OR will that not be okay.

Thanks everyone!

You will be fine and Rhapsody is a lovely ship. :)

I found I prefer the Windjammer to the main dining room. I eat to live, not the other way around, so long dining times just do not interest us.

Maybe you didn't read my original post......

Originally Posted by Havingfun2010 viewpost.gif

The majority of the people show respect on formal night, and dress appropriately for the occasion. Some however, feel it's their vacation, and they don't care. They are in the clear minority and stick out like a sore thumb.

Its the "dinner dressers" that appear to have a problem with "dress downers", not the other way round.

I read all your posts on this thread. It is these two:

Froggitt: "Im sure I read that the top end lines like Silversea, Azamara, Seabourn don't do formal dressing up nights.......just pretentious people on mass market lines who like to dress up, who throw their toys out of their pram if anyone else isn't as pretentious as them."

Froggitt: "Maybe its because on the top end lines, everyone knows they're wealthy to be able to afford the cruise, but on the mass market lines, people feel the need to dress up in a tuxedo to show off their wealth?"

...that I was referring to, as was made clear by my quoting them in my posts.

I say again, if your "point exactly" is that everyone should have the freedom to dress as they see fit, you are choosing a poor way to make that point. You obviously have more points to make here than just that. Your point seems to be general nastiness towards and ugly (and very false) assumptions about all "dinner dressers".

Has it occurred to you that not all who dress for dinner 'have a problem with "dress downers"'? By attacking us all and painting us all with the same brush, you show your hateful intolerance and ignorance.

For Goodness' sake, man, some of us just like to dress for dinner! We aren't judging others, pretending to be something or someone we are not, or throwing tantrums by doing so. We're just dressing for dinner.

Furthermore, you have been far more rude and judgmental than anyone else here. Contrary to what you say, you seem to have the problem with others.

WHAAAA???? :confused: WOW. :eek:

Archived