New to RCI but not to cruising - dress code question

I am sure I will be sorry I asked this question, but I tried searching through the forum to find an answer and couldn't find a clear cut version. I read the long alternative take on dress code, and didn't find it there either.

We are considering our first RCI cruise in 2014 as part of a group. I have mostly sailed on Disney (as adults, and without kids), although I have also been on NCL and HAL. I was ready to book the cruise until I read the MDR dress code which indicates the wear for the various nights. I understand that we have options other than the MDR and obviously we could choose not to go on RCI at all. Typically, we will usually dress in nice slacks and a button down shirt or maybe a nice polo for dinner, but that's as dressed up as we are going to get.

We do understand fine dining, but I will tell you that no fine dining restaurant in our metropolitan area requires anything more than that. We both work for one of the 100 largest corporations in America and we are not required to dress up more than that so why would I do that on a cruise when it's my vacation.

Not looking for a major discussion on dress code here. We've all read everyone's opinions about it. Just looking for the answer as to what is considered acceptable on RCI. In the main dining room will be fine with slacks and a nice button down or polo shirt OR will that not be okay.

Thanks everyone!

RCI. In the main dining room will be fine with slacks and a nice button down or polo shirt OR will that not be okay.

Thanks everyone!

You will be fine. No worries! And even though you werent looking for a major discussion on dress code, prepare yourself, because major is exactly what you are about to get :D:p

I am sure I will be sorry I asked this question, but I tried searching through the forum to find an answer and couldn't find a clear cut version. I read the long alternative take on dress code, and didn't find it there either.

We are considering our first RCI cruise in 2014 as part of a group. I have mostly sailed on Disney (as adults, and without kids), although I have also been on NCL and HAL. I was ready to book the cruise until I read the MDR dress code which indicates the wear for the various nights. I understand that we have options other than the MDR and obviously we could choose not to go on RCI at all. Typically, we will usually dress in nice slacks and a button down shirt or maybe a nice polo for dinner, but that's as dressed up as we are going to get.

We do understand fine dining, but I will tell you that no fine dining restaurant in our metropolitan area requires anything more than that. We both work for one of the 100 largest corporations in America and we are not required to dress up more than that so why would I do that on a cruise when it's my vacation.

Seriously, how can this keep coming up every 5 minutes...

Wear what you want, "it's your vacation." Most people seem to check both their class and their common sense at the gangway anyway, and will wear whatever they can get away with. Outside of wearing a bathing suit or a tank top and cut-offs to dinner, you won't be turned away, even if you should be. :rolleyes:

Not looking for a major discussion on dress code here. We've all read everyone's opinions about it. Just looking for the answer as to what is considered acceptable on RCI.

Seriously?? You ask a dress code question, give all your defensive reasons for not dressing appropriately for the setting -- vacation or not -- then state you're "not looking for a major discussion"?? You have enough posts to know better.

You will be fine. No worries!

Exactly. Fine for every night including formal. Also perfect for the specialty restaurants.

No need to regret asking. Now you can stop reading and ignore the mindless repetitive chatter that will follow :rolleyes::D

Typically, we will usually dress in nice slacks and a button down shirt or maybe a nice polo for dinner, but that's as dressed up as we are going to get.

PERFECT! That's all you need.

Now please cancel the thread :D Ha Ha

You are going to hear the extremes on the dress code from both sides of the argument.

Since you have found the stated RCI dress code, interpret it as you see fit since you will receive many different people on here.

If you enjoy your sanity stay away from any and all dress code threads on CC.

Wear what you want, "it's your vacation." Most people seem to check both their class and their common sense at the gangway anyway, and will wear whatever they can get away with. Outside of wearing a bathing suit or a tank top and cut-offs to dinner, you won't be turned away, even if you should be. :rolleyes:

Seriously?? You ask a dress code question, give all your defensive reasons for not dressing appropriately for the setting -- vacation or not -- then state you're "not looking for a major discussion"?? You have enough posts to know better.

You know it is possible to skip over a thread and not read it if don't like it's topic, right? And.... if you can't resist and read it anyway, it is possible to exit the thread without commenting? Just trying to offer you some options so you don't have to get all fired up and start bashing people.

You know it is possible to skip over a thread and not read it if don't like it's topic, right? And.... if you can't resist and read it anyway, it is possible to exit the thread without commenting? Just trying to offer you some options so you don't have to get all fired up and start bashing people.

This ^^^^^^^

It's annoying to have new threads constantly started on topics that have been rehashed ad nauseum, when you can do a simple search -- here or cast a wider net -- and find all the opinions on the matter you could ever want. And how am I bashing people, exactly?

You know you don't even have to do a search on this topic but can go back page by page and you will probably find a thread if not on every page then almost every other page. What you wrote is not going to get any different answers from any of the other threads as the same people will be giving the same responses.

With that being said...wear what you wanna wear!

Not looking for a major discussion on dress code here. We've all read everyone's opinions about it. Just looking for the answer as to what is considered acceptable on RCI. In the main dining room will be fine with slacks and a nice button down or polo shirt OR will that not be okay.

Thanks everyone!

They are merely suggested attire. You and yours will be fine. Just step over those 'uptights' that have fainted between the table rows as you dare enter their precious precious fine dining milieu. Enjoy your cruise! :D

It's annoying to have new threads constantly started on topics that have been rehashed ad nauseum, when you can do a simple search -- here or cast a wider net -- and find all the opinions on the matter you could ever want. And how am I bashing people, exactly?

Here is a radical idea. You could avoid being annoyed by not reading threads that you know will only annoy you. Virtually every topic on every thread on CC has been discussed many, many times before, this one is no different.

From the RCI Website

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Here is a radical idea. You could avoid being annoyed by not reading threads that you know will only annoy you. .

Too funny - thanks for the laugh:D It's almost sad how worked up some people let themselves get on these dress code threads. And you know they do it over and over and over......

Thanks everyone!

Absolutely OK. Have a great vacation.

You really need for someone to explain to you how that is people bashing?

Thanks everyone!

If you're really read 'any' of the many threads on this topic you already know how this one is going to end up. :rolleyes:

I also think you've made up your mind as to what you are going to wear. Wear it. You'll be fine.

" ... not looking for a major discussion ... ". Right. ;)

If you're really read 'any' of the many threads on this topic you already know how this one is going to end up. :rolleyes:

I also think you've made up your mind as to what you are going to wear. Wear it. You'll be fine.

Why can't you just take someone at face value instead of getting your panties in a knot and bashing them.

LOL. Yep. What you said. ^^^^^

Thanks everyone!

It's your fellow RCL cruisers that will make the best cruise you will go!

You are not their to impress by what you wear, be friendly will be the best

advise! be sure & go to the meet & mingle web site and sign up for the FREE

party that RCL host on every cruise, Look at the happy pictures of those that sign up, they are not wearing dress attire, we do put on casual attire if we are IN THE CARRIBBEAN SOUTH AMMERICA, GULF COAST AN OTHER POINTS AND WE HAVE FUN! come join us. I can't believe I even read this thread! now I will go & read THE THREAD what my fellow cruisers are talking about for the SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN 7DAY CRUISE IN jan. 2014

Exactly. Fine for every night including formal. Also perfect for the specialty restaurants.

No need to regret asking. Now you can stop reading and ignore the mindless repetitive chatter that will follow :rolleyes::D

Bottom Line: You'll be fine per above with what you're planning to wear any night (including formal) in the MDR and for the specialty restaurants! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Given that the Alternative Dress Code thread has over 300 replies...this ought to go on for awhile. I am popping the popcorn now. :D

In response to your question - based on EVERYTHING that I have read (and these threads go on and on...), you will be fine in whatever you choose to wear as long as you are with people you love and enjoy spending time with.

You might be responsible for upsetting some people but, if you don't let that get to you, you will be fine.

And just to be clear - my comments are not a vote up or down for the choice of clothing :eek: - simply a reply as to whether the OP can wear whatever they choose.

Not a dress "code" question. But I do have a question.

We were on a 3 day cruise with one formal night and an 8 day cruise with two formal nights.

In Feb 2015, we are going on a 6 day western Caribbean cruise on Independence. Can anyone tell me if we will have one or two formal nights?

Archived