New to RCI but not to cruising - dress code question

In Feb 2015, we are going on a 6 day western Caribbean cruise on Independence. Can anyone tell me if we will have one or two formal nights?

According to this, you will have two formal nights on a 6 night cruise :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

Given that the Alternative Dress Code thread has over 300 replies...this ought to go on for awhile. I am popping the popcorn now. :D

In response to your question - based on EVERYTHING that I have read (and these threads go on and on...), you will be fine in whatever you choose to wear as long as you are with people you love and enjoy spending time with.

You might be responsible for upsetting some people but, if you don't let that get to you, you will be fine.

And just to be clear - my comments are not a vote up or down for the choice of clothing :eek: - simply a reply as to whether the OP can wear whatever they choose.

hgmizzou-

There's always the "ALTERNATE Alternative Dress Code". I'm certain it's soon to come.

A dress code simply tells YOU what to expect others to be wearing.

That's it.

Then you can choose if you want to be the best dressed, look like everyone else, or worse dressed. That's your choice. Some won't care. Others may be talking behind your back about your attire choice.

It's all part of the social gathering. That's what people that gather do.

A dress code simply tells YOU what to expect others to be wearing.

That's it.

Then you can choose if you want to be the best dressed, look like everyone else, or worse dressed. That's your choice. Some won't care. Others may be talking behind your back about your attire choice.

It's all part of the social gathering. That's what people that gather do.

People that gather in the dining room eat.

It's annoying to have new threads constantly started on topics that have been rehashed ad nauseum, when you can do a simple search -- here or cast a wider net -- and find all the opinions on the matter you could ever want. And how am I bashing people, exactly?

And what topic exactly hasn't been discussed over and over again? None. If repeat topics weren't posted over and over this would be a boring board.

They are in the clear minority and stick out like a sore thumb.

I feel like people say this type of thing to try to scare people into dressing how they want when the reality is once on board no one really cares. This is only an issue on these boards.

To the op as long as your goodie bits are covered and you don't look like you just came in from working on a farm you can dress however you want. The only rules are no hats, shorts, tanks and flip flops.

Exactly. Fine for every night including formal. Also perfect for the specialty restaurants.

No need to regret asking. Now you can stop reading and ignore the mindless repetitive chatter that will follow :rolleyes::D

bou you were too late and at post #4 that's saying something. :o

The mindless repetitive chatter had already started. (See post # 3):eek:

Popping the popcorn right now! These threads are always better than summer-time TV!

The majority of the people show respect on formal night, and dress appropriately for the occasion. Some however, feel it's their vacation, and they don't care. They are in the clear minority and stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't let replies like this scare you. A polo shirt and slacks will be fine on any night (including formal night). You WILL NOT "stick out like a sore thumb" as many are choosing to dress more casually nowadays.

...Most people seem to check both their class and their common sense at the gangway anyway, and will wear whatever they can get away with.

Really, most?!!!??

Either I'm in for a rude awakening when I sail RCI for the first time in January (thinking it is comparable or maybe even a slight step up from Carnival), or you are grossly exaggerating.:rolleyes:

OP, you will be fine.

We went on our first cruise last year and did not feel out of place in the main dining room.

Casual nights -- I wore nice capris and a shirt or a casual dress with sandals (not flip flops), DH wore clean jeans/khakis and a polo with casual shoes (not gym shoes).

Formal nights -- I wore nicer dresses, but not gowns, with heels and DH wore dress pants, a button down long sleeved shirt and a tie with dress shoes.

I know the reason we don't do gowns and tuxes for formal nights is because it has become costly to have a second bag, which we would need to bring in the items properly without them being ruined. For some, formal dress is part of what they love about cruising, for us, it's not.

In fact, on formal nights I saw very few people in gowns and tuxedos. The most dressed up person I saw was an army officer in full uniform and I think they always look fantastic! Most of the "dressy" formal night wear was cocktail dresses and suits.

If you wear what you stated, you will definitely not be underdressed compared to some. A guy at the next table over wore jeans and a Hawaiian shirt on formal night, but if you saw him the rest of the time, that *was* dressed up for him! ;)

Enjoy your vacation!

The majority of the people show respect on formal night, and dress appropriately for the occasion. Some however, feel it's their vacation, and they don't care. They are in the clear minority and stick out like a sore thumb.

It is their vacation, and no-one should care what they wear. Personally I think its a generational mindset, and those people who dress for dinner are becoming a smaller and smaller minority.

And what or who are they meant to be showing respect to? Inanimate objects or people at the next table who couldn't give a stuff what theyre wearing?

DH and I are in the minority and proud of it! Respect is shown to other passengers, clearly the mindset of its MY vacation and I will wear what I want does not.

It is their vacation, and no-one should care what they wear. Personally I think its a generational mindset, and those people who dress for dinner are becoming a smaller and smaller minority.

And what or who are they meant to be showing respect to? Inanimate objects or people at the next table who couldn't give a stuff what theyre wearing?

The difference is that I couldn't care less what you are wearing. It has no bearing on whether I think you are showing me respect, or whether you think you are showing me respect.

And by all means, celebrate your minority, and wear whatever you want in the dining room, by the pool, on your balcony, in the theatre etc.

DH and I are in the minority and proud of it! Respect is shown to other passengers, clearly the mindset of its MY vacation and I will wear what I want does not.

Please define "respect" as used in this context. And please do not respond with a "If you have to ask I'm not going to tell you" reply. All I ask is that you quantify your remarks.

Thank you.

Would anyone be offended or think it's disrespectful if someone ate in the MDR with just their underwear or thong? After all, they are on vacation and should be able to wear whatever they want RIGHT?

Using an extreme example does not prove a point, but are usually combative and irrelevant. Could you be a little clearer with your point please?

Using an extreme example does not prove a point, but are usually combative and irrelevant. Could you be a little clearer with your point please?

It's all about being respectful of your fellow cruisers.

The constant "I'm on vacation so I shouldn't have to..." attitude is bothersome.

Why is it that on the evenings when it's formal night, those who wish not to dress up can't just give up that one or two evenings and eat elsewhere?

For example, if you were invited to a wedding and the suggested attire was a suit or tuxedo, would you show up in jeans, t-shirt and a ball cap demanding to be let in? I understand some have the "It's all about me and no one else matters" attitude, but it's about trying to create a nice atmosphere just for an evening or two.

Ok, now flame away...

It's all about being respectful of your fellow cruisers.

The constant "I'm on vacation so I shouldn't have to..." attitude is bothersome.

Why is it that on the evenings when it's formal night, those who wish not to dress up can't just give up that one or two evenings and eat elsewhere?

For example, if you were invited to a wedding and the suggested attire was a suit or tuxedo, would you show up in jeans, t-shirt and a ball cap demanding to be let in? I understand some have the "It's all about me and no one else matters" attitude, but it's about trying to create a nice atmosphere just for an evening or two.

Ok, now flame away...

I absolutely understand where you are coming from, although I still feel that the example given in your reply is a bit exaggerated.

The fact is that a wedding (or a funeral) are not what I would term "manufactured events". Rather, they are universally accepted as special occasions that demand a certain decorum.

Formal Night on a mass-market cruise ship is a bit different. The cruise line is supplying a forum wherein people can relive the so-called "golden-age" of cruising; where one can feel a little bit special for a few hours. That's fine, and I sincerely want those who choose to participate to enjoy themselves. But how is the dress of others a factor in that enjoyment?

Further, since formal night is held in the same venue as the "casual" or "smart casual" dining offered on other nights, one could rightly view the formal event as just another theme night. Not to be overlooked is the obvious opportunity for the cruise line to garner additional revenue from tux rental and "professional" photographs.

As for me, it's no big deal to eat in the MDR. I'll check the posted dinner menu at 4:00PM and if the offerings look good, I'll eat there. And I won't be wearing a ball cap.

I feel like people say this type of thing to try to scare people into dressing how they want when the reality is once on board no one really cares. This is only an issue on these boards.

To the op as long as your goodie bits are covered and you don't look like you just came in from working on a farm you can dress however you want. The only rules are no hats, shorts, tanks and flip flops.

Exactly since this board does not represent the majority of the cruising public. From what I see there are quite a few more people that dress for formal nights than not be it in suits Light or Dark), tux, gowns, cokctail dresses, womens pants suits, etc. I believe that a large majority of the cruising public that never vist this board or even heard of this board go with what they believe it is suppose to be as stated in the suggested guidelines. To me it's a fun night and we take the picture ( No mater if we buy them or not we just like to pose for them) with acouple of the different backgrounds and the picture with the Captain which you can only do if you are dressed for the occassion and after the dinner and the pictures we go back and change into our comfortable around the ship clothes be it shorts and t-shirts, etc. That is what we do and as I have always said I can care less about what everybody else does at my table or whateever.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from, although I still feel that the example given in your reply is a bit exaggerated.

The fact is that a wedding (or a funeral) are not what I would term "manufactured events". Rather, they are universally accepted as special occasions that demand a certain decorum.

Formal Night on a mass-market cruise ship is a bit different. The cruise line is supplying a forum wherein people can relive the so-called "golden-age" of cruising; where one can feel a little bit special for a few hours. That's fine, and I sincerely want those who choose to participate to enjoy themselves. But how is the dress of others a factor in that enjoyment?

Further, since formal night is held in the same venue as the "casual" or "smart casual" dining offered on other nights, one could rightly view the formal event as just another theme night. Not to be overlooked is the obvious opportunity for the cruise line to garner additional revenue from tux rental and "professional" photographs.

As for me, it's no big deal to eat in the MDR. I'll check the posted dinner menu at 4:00PM and if the offerings look good, I'll eat there. And I won't be wearing a ball cap.

You know you mentioned on the other "Dress code" thread something about the upper class cruises don't do "formal nights" anymore because those people don't have to pretend...

That got me thinking about how and why I feel the way I do. Maybe different from others, but this my thought. We are rednecks that live in a small mining town about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from the nearest big city like Denver. No matter what your financial class or situation, we just don't have nice venues in our area where we get to dress up. Twice a year we have events where we wear our Victorian attire, but whenever we have the opportunity to go to an event in "the city" where we get an opportunity to dress up, we do. And it's nice to be surrounded by all the others that are dressed in the same way.

I suppose it's selfish of me to feel that way, not thinking of the folks that get to dress up all the time and are just tired of it. It's cold up here at 11,000ft and we have 2 months out of the year to wear anything other than our under armor, jeans and snow boots. Wearing cute open toe shoes are a huge treat for us.

So, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my idea of "everyone should dress up on formal nights" attitude.

Can't we all just get along? :)

Archived