Booking a cruise through travel agent?

Geocat

We have beenon 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and have had a blast each time. We are looking at another and I have read on Cruise Critic that some travel agents will add onboard credits, spa treatments, ect if you book through them. I called Tr--el Le--ders and they charge me $50 to book a cruise??? How can that be? I would just book right through the ship then? Is there better travel agents that give more perks?

Thanks!

Can't give agent names, it's against the rules. I tried one of those sites that lets you put the info out there on the cruise you want & several agencies contacted me with prices. I then talked to a couple & decided which one I felt comfortable with. It worked out well & I've used her for several cruises since.

I always get some OBC. Not as much as others seem to get but I don't book suites, she's always available & there are no fees so I'll stick with her. I think I could get more elsewhere but the service is excellent & that's much more important to me.

We have beenon 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and have had a blast each time. We are looking at another and I have read on Cruise Critic that some travel agents will add onboard credits, spa treatments, ect if you book through them. I called Tr--el Le--ders and they charge me $50 to book a cruise??? How can that be? I would just book right through the ship then? Is there better travel agents that give more perks?

Thanks!

I have an agent I always book with and they are wonderful, as far as I know they dont charge me anything to book through them as their prices have always matched what I could get online to the penny.

That being said your question was why should I use an agent?

Well let me tell you, as a passenger on the Triumph during the fire last Feburary and being lost at sea for 4 additional days it was very nice to sail into Alabama (when we could get cell service) and find several emails from my agent letting me know everything Carnival was giving to us and when we would be getting it, what it could be used for ect.

I had my checks and credits back to my credit card within one weeks time.

I never had to call Carnival once. they did it all and got it done before we even got home.

I read horror stories from others waiting on the phone for hours. Not the cruiselines fault for I am sure they were flooded with calls, but it was not an issue for me because I had an agent.

I know this doesnt happened often, thank god but when it does you have someone (hopefully) that has your back.

That being said my mothers agent is horrible (she is using mine next time) so you have to make sure they are doing their job but if you get a good one stick with them. I would gladly pay mine 50 bucks a cruise if they asked. :)

I can emailed or call them 7 days a week with questions and they are always there for me. She makes sure if we cruise around our birthdays or anniversay we get cakes in the dining room, we have gotten OBC's and bottles of wine and if a good deal comes up and she thinks we might be interested she tells us, she makes sure we are not under the dining room or basketball court or accross from the laundry but are close to elevators (in quiet areas) They know the best cabins to be in and what side of the ship to be on because they cruise so often.

Its the only way to go IMHO when you are spending this much money on a vacation.

Hope this helps ~

:p;)

$50 to book a cruise?? Never heard of anything like that! Nor would I ever agree to pay it! I am also aware that there are some TA's that will charge a cancelation or change fee - and I would not book through them either.

There are also many TA's that will offer perks as you mention, but those come directly from their commissions and / or incremental credits they receive for blocks of rooms booked, and are not RCI sponsored.

When we book with our TA, we are not concerned with perks from her paycheck as we feel she earns her commission through her excellent service and attention to detail with our reservations over the years.

But that is just what works with us.

You have to shop around to see what agencies offer the best services for your travel needs. Some agencies charge a service fee, and others only charge a fee if you cancel or change a reservation. Likewise, the perks and benefits vary among agencies and cruise lines. Also, some of the larger agencies will secure 'blocks' of cruise cabins at attractive prices, and try to sell them well in advance of a cruise.

Be sure you have signed up with Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society. They have some sales and benefits that can be used with whatever travel agency you desire. Do some advance legwork and you can find some really nice cruise deals.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/ The third one on this list is a good one

thank you everyone! I love this site and learn more everyday about booking and sailing the high sea's!

Regardess of who you book with...make sure you read the fine print so there are no surprises...Best of luck and enjoy your next cruise.

Archived