Benefit of booking through Carnival vs. a Travel agent ?

sinned19

And I would never again book through a TA, only through Carnival. I made that mistake once and had an Early Saver booking. I was unable to speak with Carnival about anything related to that cruise, had to go through the TA. I had no control. What really was maddening was that every time there was a price drop, I couldn't complete the online claim form and had to call the TA and then they would call Carnival. So much wasted time on the phone for that booking using the

"go between" TA. Lesson learned. I like the control over my own booking.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you book on your own through Carnival, you control your booking, no one else. You can find price drops, if you book early saver, up until 2 days prior to sailing. You have to make sure you qualify for them, but you don't have to go through a 3rd party to make changes.

I've heard pros and cons about TAs. I think if you have a good one, stick with them, but I like having the ability to do it myself.

I used a TA for my trip one time. Big mistake....... The only benefit was having the cruise $150 more than I could have booked and a small pouch with her agency name on it. I use the pouch and one someone mentions the name I tell them how bad they were. I then returned to booking online until I found a PVP that took care of everything for me. The PVP is super, TA never again for anything.

I always book directly with Carnival. If you book with a TA and have a question or problem, Carnival will not talk to you. The TA owns your booking.

Regarding price drops, some TAs are not very willing to do this because it cuts into their commission.

I NEVER use a travel agent again. As others have stated, the TA is in charge of your booking, not you or Carnival. You have to go through your TA for every little thing for your booking, including price drops, making changes, etc. I like to have some control over my booking. I also don't like having to fight a TA to get a price drop that I am entitled to receive.

I have always booked directly with Carnival or RCCL. That way I have control over my booking and can do what I want.

We planned this trip only a month out. I checked with several TA's to see if there were some last minute perks like onboard credit or extras available. There were not plus they quoted a higher price due to their fee for booking.

If you don't mind doing things yourself, you can save money by direct.

Also, on my last cruise I was able to get a substantial price drop. I shared with my roll call. The ones who had booked direct got it, but the ones who had not missed out. The drop occurred over a 12 hour window on the weekend.

You will find plenty of posts about the horrors of dealing with Carnival customer service. You will find plenty of posts about the horrors of dealing with a TA. I have a great TA and can't think of any reason to deal with Carnival. I get the same exact price plus extras such as on board credits, free travel insurance, free soda tickets, and the cheap drawstring bags. I can still search for lower rates and send an email to the TA to get it. No phone time needed. I have requested everything from dining time change to rate code changes with no fights, no problems. I would say it was just as easy or easier to go to my TA for every little change as it was to go to Carnival directly with every little change. BUT again I found a great TA after a few tries.

I actually do all the booking stuff (picking an actual room, etc.) through Carnival but cancel when it gets to the passenger names, and then ask my TA to give me a quote. It is always the exact same as Carnival. It's too bad it's against the rules to tell people the name of a great website or TA names so you could experience a good TA for yourselves.

In my opinion....since the cruise lines changed it to where TA's can't give lower prices or "perks" anymore, I see no advantage with using a TA. I would rather book online myself and have control of booking myself.

Why..........?????

Long time TA who I trust. Lots of difference between having a good TA than there is having a bad one.

I NEVER lose control of our cruise. She just deals with the cruise line and makes any changes I want and/or takes care of any unfortunate situations that may happen. :)

LuLu

~~~~

In my opinion....since the cruise lines changed it to where TA's can't give lower prices or "perks" anymore, I see no advantage with using a TA. I would rather book online myself and have control of booking myself.

Carnival said TAs can't undercut prices, but nothing about not offering perks. There is a price comparison website where you can enter your booking info and have a bunch of TAs bid for your business. The prices used to come back all over the place. Now, they are all exactly the same but they all 11 offer different perks. The worst perk I saw was a $25 OBC, but the best had $200 OBC and a free pre-cruise hotel room for a night.

I always use my TA. We live in a small town and like to support local businesses. I do the research, go see her and tell her what ship, what date, what cabin and she does the rest. I check for price drops, so does she. If I catch one I call her (a 2 minute call, rarely on hold) or text her, or email her and she takes care of it for us. If she catches one she calls and lets me know. It's like having 2 pairs of eyes! Plus I know if there's ever a problem she's there to fix it. Wouldn't book any other way.

You will find plenty of posts about the horrors of dealing with Carnival customer service. You will find plenty of posts about the horrors of dealing with a TA. I have a great TA and can't think of any reason to deal with Carnival. I get the same exact price plus extras such as on board credits, free travel insurance, free soda tickets, and the cheap drawstring bags. I can still search for lower rates and send an email to the TA to get it. No phone time needed. I have requested everything from dining time change to rate code changes with no fights, no problems. I would say it was just as easy or easier to go to my TA for every little change as it was to go to Carnival directly with every little change. BUT again I found a great TA after a few tries.

I have to agree! We have an awesome TA who spent two hours on the phone today with Carnival to get me a $500+ rate reduction! They initially told her that it couldn't be done but she was relentless! So thankful for her.

I actually do all the booking stuff (picking an actual room, etc.) through Carnival but cancel when it gets to the passenger names, and then ask my TA to give me a quote. It is always the exact same as Carnival. It's too bad it's against the rules to tell people the name of a great website or TA names so you could experience a good TA for yourselves.

This is exactly what I do! I pick everything down to the deck and room number, give her the info and she takes it from there.

I've booked from bids I got on that compete site in the past, but I think the value of that site has gone way down since. I submitted our pending cruise out for bids, got nine offers. All indentically priced, no OBC on any of them. Best offer was two bottles of wine. We ended up booking directly with Carnival.

I see there are pros/cons on this.

As for me, I always use a TA. I feel very comfortable with the agency I work with, as it is close to home. I email my TA what I'm looking for, and then she gets back with me on what she can find. We then discuss it back and forth, until we come up with what I want. As for perks, she lets me know we have them, as we would never know this. She could keep it away from me, never knowing this, but never has. The agency has a radio show on every Saturday, and are Christians who have been in business over 20 years. They have at least 3 or 4 parties a year for their customers, which is nice also.:)

I am using TA but it is because we always book cruise last minute at bottom low price and do not have many chances for price reduction and etc. When you use a TA, make sure s/he has a backup. TAs are human too. They will take vacation and take time off. Imaging you see a fire sale and need price adjustment but your TA is no where to reach. And of course when they are back, the sale is gone.

if you book through carnival...you control your booking. any problems? call carnival directly, they handle it.

book through a travel agent, they control it. if you have problems? you need to contact the TA, then they will contact carnival. aka, the TA is the middle man. you cannot and carnival cannot talk directly to you. IMO, this is why I never book with a TA (I like to talk to carnival directly so they know what I am saying)

having gone through sites like expedia (where they are the middle man), words have been twisted and I was screwed out of around $100 because I didn't book directly with the hotel. I like to weed out the middle man. words get tangled, things may not get done they way you want.

If you decide to go through a TA, make sure its a good one that you know and trust.

Archived