Last Minute Cruising -- How to find deals?

Surfgirl

I've been reading that cruise lines would rather sell a room for much less, than have it be empty... so... they offer amazing deals days or weeks before the ship sails.

How do you find out about these deals?

The way cruises are selling out the chances of you finding a "deal" are very slim. Nowadays the cruiselines are so booked that when someone does find space on a ship they are paying big prices. The earlier you book the better pricing you will get. If the price does goes down and depending on your travel agent they should be able to get you a refund or a credit for the difference.

Merry

My experience has been that one usually gets pretty good deals early and late. We usually have to book early (air considerations) but one thing we did find was on our last cruise by calling about 3 weeks before the sailing date we were able to get a very good upgrade cheaply (not free but still a lot cheaper than if we had booked that class of cabin early).

The great last minute rates of the olden days are pretty much gone. yes, as Zeno said, sometimes you will be able to find great deals about a month out if you are flexible. Generally TAs have the best knowledge of what is about to go cheap. By low rates, what are you referring to by the way? This time of the year you will find almost none. Generally the best rates will be from Sept to early Nov and the first week of Dec, followed by the first week or so in Jan and again mid April to early May. Anytime around any holiday there will not be lower rates. Just my thoughts, good luck.

NMNita

The great last minute rates of the olden days are pretty much gone. yes, as Zeno said, sometimes you will be able to find great deals about a month out if you are flexible. Generally TAs have the best knowledge of what is about to go cheap. By low rates, what are you referring to by the way? This time of the year you will find almost none. Generally the best rates will be from Sept to early Nov and the first week of Dec, followed by the first week or so in Jan and again mid April to early May. Anytime around any holiday there will not be lower rates. Just my thoughts, good luck.

NMNita

Nita

You still thinking about the Jewel Crossing - I just noticed the inside GTY dropped - $105 pp all in. ($2100 fare port and taxes)

That is a better last minute deal.

I usually book through a travel club that tends to get the best rates anyway. They don't do just cruises-- they do all kinds of package vacations. They buy up blocks at a discount and then sell them at rock bottom prices.

But, you have to book early with them, because they sell out pretty fast. I was on a waiting list for the Crown, but got in just two weeks before sail date. And, I was upgraded at no charge.

I was just curious as to how you would get the best rates should I see a cruise I want to do that my travel club doesn't offer.

Nita

You still thinking about the Jewel Crossing - I just noticed the inside GTY dropped - $105 pp all in. ($2100 fare port and taxes)

That is a better last minute deal.

don't I wish; we are booked on the Galaxy for Oct; 2 week sailing. The rate was too cheap to not grab. I promise myself next year I will do the Jewel no matter what. Thanks for the headsup!!!

Nita

I've been reading that cruise lines would rather sell a room for much less, than have it be empty... so... they offer amazing deals days or weeks before the ship sails.

How do you find out about these deals?

Surfgirl:

They may not be amazing, but NCL has a "Specials" link on its website (at the top) where there are some pretty good last-minute deals. I just looked up the Star's Alaska sailings. Here is just one:

09/18/05 - 7 day Alaska - Seattle/Vancouver

Offer applicable to new individual bookings.

$999 Guarantee Special - Balcony Promo Cat/Code: Cat. BE

$1149 Guarantee Special - Suite Promo Cat/Code: Cat. AG

The brochure price for Early Bird Fares for an AF is $1,499 (the brochure doesn't show any Early Bird Fares for the AGs). There are probably others that are better.

Adele

Surfgirl:

They may not be amazing, but NCL has a "Specials" link on its website (at the top) where there are some pretty good last-minute deals. I just looked up the Star's Alaska sailings. Here is just one:

09/18/05 - 7 day Alaska - Seattle/Vancouver

Offer applicable to new individual bookings.

$999 Guarantee Special - Balcony Promo Cat/Code: Cat. BE

$1149 Guarantee Special - Suite Promo Cat/Code: Cat. AG

The brochure price for Early Bird Fares for an AF is $1,499 (the brochure doesn't show any Early Bird Fares for the AGs). There are probably others that are better.

Adele

Thanks, Adele. I'll check that out. Personally, I find the NCL Website a little confusing to navigate around. I really wish they'd re-design it.

Archived