Favorite Spot for Sail Away on FOS

debfew

Hi All,

I'll be cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in a few weeks. This is my first RC cruise and I am soooo excited!

Anyway, for those of you who have sailed on FOS or other Freedom class ships, where is your favorite spot for sail away??

Thanks!

What type of cabin do you have?

We like to spend sailaway on our balcony - with just the 2 of us, or our family. Makes for a nice start to the vacation.

Others like to be in the open air along the railings on the pool decks.

I dont stay in balconies so my spot was deck 4 starboard side :) its a lot less crowded than the upper decks.

This pic wasnt taken during sailaway. Just to show you the location. It wasnt much more crowded than this during sailaway though lol.

Freedom is an awesome ship! Enjoy your cruise!

9eff1751.jpg

We have a balcony on deck 6. I was thinking about just hanging out on the balcony. Thanks for your advice. That's probably what we'll end up doing as well.

Just counting the days now. I'll be doing the single digit dance tomorrow. :D

We were on Freedom last week, we usually sit on our balcony but this time we brought the kids so we went up to the pool deck. I am so glad we did as we were lucky enough to see a giant pod of dolphins swimming outside of the exact window we were seated in front of! So that is where I suggest you go!!

That looks like an awesome spot to get away and read a book. It also looks like a nice quiet place to enjoy a sailaway. I'm sure my DH will spend some time there taking in the ocean air and playing video games on his tablet.

I can't wait to try out RC. I'm giving all of the lines a try in the next year or so, with the exception of HOL. Just feel like HOL is for the over seventy crowd. Of course, I shouldn't judge until I've tried it out first hand. I've only done Carnival thus far. I had a great time on Carnival, but I have nothing to compare it to. Now that I'm officially addicted, I'll have to try them all!! But I'm especially excited to try RC.

Thanks for the pic!

If you would like family and friends to see you and Freedom sail away

check out the webcam http://www.portcanaveralwebcam.com

I have friends on the sailing Sunday and will be on the bow/helipad of the ship.

The webcam usually focuses in on this area and then goes high up to the pool deck. Lots of options for sail away. Just depends what you are looking for :) Happy Cruising

Sail away captures from a couple weeks ago

735563_10200626418079882_1017042931_o.jpg

1149401_10200670801629443_399858269_o.jpg

On my last cruise we stood out on the front deck, can't remember what its called but its the pointed from point. Stood with tons of other people but it was neat to watch the boat going out to see from that vantage point. I will probably do it again this time.

The cantilevered walkways aft which stick out on both sides of deck 4, you can see all the way down the side of the ship forward and aft, and watch the lines being let go and the ship pushing off the dockside.

I will be on the freedom in 38 days!! I am gonna try the helipad because I've hear a few different people say that's the 'place to be' I can't wait!!

A lot of great suggestions. We are usually traveling with a group that is large enough that one balcony won't do. I like being with the crowds for sail away. The Freedoms are big enough you should always be able to find some rail space somewhere. The cantilever walkway is one of my favorite places in general. I haven't done it, but I can imagine it would be a great place to watch dockside activities like withdrawing the gangways and casting off lines and/or to see the pilot boat come and go.

Ah, but you fine people are neglecting my all time favorite freedom feature.....

I did all my island sailaways on Freedom from those supercool Solarium hot tubs that extend over the side of the boat!!! Great view & a great soak!

I enjoy the railing area above the pool deck. You get a good view of the surrounding area and music and dancing are taking place on the pool deck. Last year the DreamWorks cast and crew staff put on a nice display as we departed.

You also get a good look at Fishlips restaurant where the web cam is from the starboard side.

i don't know if Sailaway from Port Canaveral will be too exciting. my very first cruise was on Freedom from Miami. THAT WAS EXCITING!

When I sailed her in Jan '10 and it was 34 degrees in Port Canaveral, just knowing we were headed ANYWHERE south of that cold front was EXCITING! :rolleyes:

i don't know if Sailaway from Port Canaveral will be too exciting. my very first cruise was on Freedom from Miami. THAT WAS EXCITING!

I was in Port Canaveral as a port of call on Explorer. We were in port until 10PM. That was an exciting sailaway. From my balcony, people were waving from the bars and you could hear the live music. One of the singers even did a shout out to us on the ship. There were people even on the jetty with flashlights waving to us.

Archived