Using walkie talkies onboard - Breeze

bren1422

We are taking our 12 year old son and his friend on our cruise in 3 days and we're wondering if anyone has had any luck using walkie talkies on board to stay in touch with their kids or other traveling buddies. If so, any specific type or brand?

Thanks!

We were just thinking about trying to sell ours that we got for cruising..never worked well at all. When it was a new thing it was almost impossible to get a private channel and you heard everyone's conversation if you had it on. The radios now have more channels but even when we got those getting hold of anyone was hit or miss depending on where they were on the ship. Cindy

We bought them a few years ago for a cruise with our kids and after a few days they spent the rest of the cruise in our cabin and they went back when we got home.

More trouble than they were worth.

Made up meeting places and time for during the week and worked out fine

We are taking our 12 year old son and his friend on our cruise in 3 days and we're wondering if anyone has had any luck using walkie talkies on board to stay in touch with their kids or other traveling buddies. If so, any specific type or brand?

Thanks!

We've used them in the past...however...you will hear other people on the same channel from time to time. It would be easy for someone to lure our kids to meet them somewhere not knowing that they weren't speaking to their parents. The connection is full of static. I honestly would just have a time...VERY FREQUENTLY...to come and find you in person to check in. Have fun!!

I'm gonna try to see how this goes for our upcoming cruise....I'm intrested to see how it's gonna work

They will probably work as intermittantly as the others have already mentioned and irritate other passengers you might be around.

...We had a pretty good pair of walkie-talkies and they also didn't work very well on the ship. Besides, on every channel there was a constant "Mom Mom Mom Mom" or "Dad Dad Dad Dad." We told our kids to just go ahead and use our first names. Like others have said, after the third day they went into the safe and we just made up meeting times and places.

We had 2 sets of walkie talkies on the Breeze last April. Buy the most powerful ones. Then decide and a certain channel to monitor. They worked great for us. For 5 of us only one person didn't have a hand set. Even worked great when off Ship

We used to use them when camping at large campgrounds... the problem was that the grandgirls kept turning them down or leaving them on the beach while they went swimming and I could never get them to answer. :mad:

Beware that use of them in some foreign countries is illegal and can interfere with local government frequencies such as police, fire-rescue, and other emergency services. Jamaica is one country that I know of first hand where they are illegal to use.

We've used our Motorola FRS radios on several cruises.

Most times we actually use them, we've been at Half Moon Cay. Our DS likes to sleep in, so he would call us on the beach from the ship when he awakens and we tell him where we are set up at. Then he comes over and joins us.

We can talk just fine, especially if he's on an open air deck or near the cabin window.

Thanks!

We have a nice set (there are 4 cabins in our party of 11 people) and used them on the Dream last October. They worked awesome. We never had any problem reaching each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

The last cruise we went on, I took walkie talkies, and I won't do it again. Too much static, picked up other people's signals... We got them to keep in touch with my daughter and her friend (who are both grown), but if we went to lunch/dinner, we wanted to be able to join them, so we felt that it was a good idea. Not worth the money to me.

We are looking for the same things as the OP.. I am wondering for those of you that the walkie talkies have worked what Brand or Model do you have??

Thank you!

Mine are Motorola. I don't see a model and don't have the original paperwork. But they were about $20 for a set of two with a charger. They are yellow and black.

Archived