Chankanaab Park vs. Moneybar, Shopping, and Carnival Pier - time for both?

wannago35

Hubby & I will be there from 10am to 6pm. Chankanaab Park looks like fun but I'm sure we'll want to get a little shopping in. Is there shopping near the Carnival pier or do we need to go somewhere else? We'll probably do Chankanaab Park first and then look for shopping.

For those who have done snorkeling at Chankanaab Park & Moneybar - which spot is snorkeling best at?

Finally, I know we're not supposed to drink the water in Mexico and my understanding is we shouldn't eat anywhere that the food isn't prepared in purified water. Is Chankanaab safe to eat at? We'll probably take our own bottled water that we bring on the ship into port.

Thanks.

Edited by wannago35

Lots of shopping near the pier - you can shop before or after Chank.

Bottled water and food will be safe at Chank and most of the tourist places you are likely to go -- they use purified water for cooking, ice, etc.

Chank is more protected (sort of like a logoon) while the Money Bar is is more open and sometimes you have a current to deal with; we prefer the Money Bar - I'd rather spend the $20 each on drinks than on Chank's admission fee. That said, if you have younger kids (14 or 15 and below) or want a real beach you'll MUCH prefer Chank.

Good luck! :)

We love Chankanaab and highly recommend it. I haven't found a place in Cozumel that I like more than Chank. I have 2 reviews in my signature that you can click on and see tons of pictures from there. :)

We were going to go back to the Money Bar in January, but after looking at your pictures, we have decided to give Chankanaab a try on our next visit to Cozumel.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
The Dream generally docks at the Puerta Maya Pier which has plenty of shopping.

http://www.puertamaya.com/

Thanks for that link it's very helpful!

We love Chankanaab and highly recommend it. I haven't found a place in Cozumel that I like more than Chank. I have 2 reviews in my signature that you can click on and see tons of pictures from there. :)

mitsugirly - thank you - I read your review about 2 months ago, it's what made me consider Chankanaab, they should give you a discount/free entry or something :)

Thanks again to all.

Thanks for that link it's very helpful!

mitsugirly - thank you - I read your review about 2 months ago, it's what made me consider Chankanaab, they should give you a discount/free entry or something :)

Thanks again to all.

Well wouldn't that be nice! :D But thanks and you are very welcome. :)

Also considering Chank or Money Bar for a beach/snorkel/relax day in Cozumel. We are 5 adults, no kids, some snorkel, some drink, some don't.

Do either of these places have a fresh water pool as well?

Chank has a very nice pool. From what I have read, Money Bar does not.

I want to see a real beach' date=' I enjoy snorkeling but its not what I am looking for, would you suggest we make time for Chank while we are there?[/quote']

It depends on what you consider a "real beach". If you mean soft sand, walking into the water type beach, then Chank isn't that kind of beach. Its rocky (best for snorkeling) but has man-made sandy areas w/chairs, etc., a pools, restaurants, the dolphin experience (extra $$), and a sea lion show.

There are other beaches at Coz that will will be more the sandy, walk-in type beaches, but I'm not sure what they are called. We used to go years ago, and found a lot of them just by driving & looking, but now days, resorts and beach clubs have went up all along the shore, and they all have names now. Do a search in the search tools for "sandy beach" if that is what you are looking for - or maybe someone will jump in here & tell you.

I want to see a real beach' date=' I enjoy snorkeling but its not what I am looking for, would you suggest we make time for Chank while we are there?[/quote']

Chankanaab has a small "walk in from the sandy beach area" and it's like a cove. It's usually where the families hang out because it's shallow and calm. Not really a place I would consider for a day of swimming.

IMG_5654-M.jpg

These are picture taken from looking at the side of it, not the area of entrance (which is why you see the rocks)

IMG_1412-M.jpg

IMG_1413-M.jpg

This picture is not mine, just one that I found awhile back of it that shows an over all view of that beach area:

cozumel%20wedding%20and%20honeymoon%20attractions%20-%20chankanaab-M.jpg

Here's an interactive map that you can use to find beaches there:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

• 1 year later...
There's a pool right in front of the dolphin area

Swimming_pool.jpg

I am hoping that you are still following this thread and see this question....is the pool use included in the general admission at Chankanaab? We have been there twice before and only went over by the rocky area and snorkeled. I want to explore more of what's there and maybe visit the pool.

Thanks