A couple of questions about Maya Key

DancingInTheGWN

Hi all, my father and I are going on the Maya Key excursion in less than 2 weeks.

I'm super excited, and I have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is the water and tea unlimited?

2. How is the wading? My dad doesn't swim, but he does like to go about knee deep in the water. Can he see anything from the snorkelling dock?

3. How was the lunch, particularly the chicken?

4. Is the snorkelling good for a first time snorkeler, and somewhat weak swimmer? Also, does anyone know the cost of renting flippers and vest?

5. How's the gift shop there?

Thanks in advance. :)

Go to the thread link below, and then scroll down a couple of entries until you get to Mitsugirly's comments. She has links in her signature to her reviews (with GREAT pictures) of excursions she has taken. Just click on them to get to her reviews. She has a great one on Maya Key. Pay attention to what number in the thread she says her review starts. I've learned a lot from her reviews. I hope this helps you out!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

I answered you in the post above ^ that should give you a good place to go & get some of your questions answered. However, from what I've read in most of the forums about Maya Key (because I'm trying to decide if that is where we will go on our cruise in January) I might be able to answer some of your questions. Our excursion to Maya Key would be through Carnival. I don't know if that is yours or not.

Hi all, my father and I are going on the Maya Key excursion in less than 2 weeks.

I'm super excited, and I have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is the water and tea unlimited? I imagine these drinks would be available.

2. How is the wading? My dad doesn't swim, but he does like to go about knee deep in the water. Can he see anything from the snorkelling dock? I think you will have to swim if you want to see anything good. Mitsugirly (the reviewer I mentioned above) said that you can see some small fish in the shallow water near shore, but the good stuff is out in the reef where you would need to snorkel.

3. How was the lunch, particularly the chicken? Mitsugirly said they loved the lunch, but you need to know its not all you can eat. You should get all you want when you go through the line, because you can only go through the line once. But, she said it was all very tasty.

4. Is the snorkelling good for a first time snorkeler, and somewhat weak swimmer? Also, does anyone know the cost of renting flippers and vest? I know that Carnival offers the "Beach & Snorkel" at Maya Key, which would include the snorkel equipment, or you can get just the Beach, which wouldn't include it, but I imagine you could rent it later if you wanted to. The way Mitsugirly describes it, the water is very calm, and there are guides in Kayaks, or in the water that will help you if you feel you aren't a strong swimmer. She said everything is marked off with bouys so that you know how to manuever through the coral and see things without getting yourself in a bind. I'm sure they probably have snorkel life vests available too, if you need them. Whereever we decide to go, we are taking our own snorkels & fins. Right now, you can usually find sets available at some of the sporting stores on sale because they are trying to get rid of their summer stock.

5. How's the gift shop there? This, I do not know.

There is supposed to be a pretty good zoo there though, and lots of animals to see and touch. If your father needs something to do while you snorkel, that might keep him occupied.

I would still suggest you read & look at Mitsugirly's review & pictures. It will tell you a lot more than I can, because I haven't been there. I does sound very nice though.

If you do go - be sure to get back on here and give us your review!

Awesome, thanks. How did I not see her Maya Key review? I saw the one for Little French Key haha.

I have my own mask and snorkel, but fins are too bulky to deal with. If the water is calm, I should be ok swimming without a vest and fins.

I wasn't planning on going all the way out to the drop off on my first snorkelling experience anyway.

I'll be sure to do a review then!

You will love this place. It's one of my favorites. We enjoyed the meal and chicken. But of course food is subjective depending on the person. Although I didn't hear complaints from anyone in our party or the people we were sitting with at the table that were on our cruise. :)

The water was very calm, especially at the beach area. Me and 2 other girls I met (1 from our cruise and another from Carnival) hung out in waist deep water for hours talking and having a good old time while the kids swam around in the area. It was just a great little spot if you are not swimming. Plenty of knee-deep water in that area.

Honestly, the snorkeling is just simply amazing there. The water is not that deep and it's about the same depth all the way out to the drop off. You just may find yourself snorkeling around and end up at the drop off and not even realize it. It's not far at all and very simple to get to and do since you don't realize you are going out more. The pictures you see in my review will show you the depth of the water. I snorkeled the entire time, so they were all taken from me floating up on top of the water and I never dove down once. ;)

They have a HUGE shopping building, but we didn't go in it (we were wet at the time and were just going to the bathroom) but it looked like it had a lot in there.

You will love this place. It's one of my favorites. We enjoyed the meal and chicken. But of course food is subjective depending on the person. Although I didn't hear complaints from anyone in our party or the people we were sitting with at the table that were on our cruise. :)

The water was very calm, especially at the beach area. Me and 2 other girls I met (1 from our cruise and another from Carnival) hung out in waist deep water for hours talking and having a good old time while the kids swam around in the area. It was just a great little spot if you are not swimming. Plenty of knee-deep water in that area.

Honestly, the snorkeling is just simply amazing there. The water is not that deep and it's about the same depth all the way out to the drop off. You just may find yourself snorkeling around and end up at the drop off and not even realize it. It's not far at all and very simple to get to and do since you don't realize you are going out more. The pictures you see in my review will show you the depth of the water. I snorkeled the entire time, so they were all taken from me floating up on top of the water and I never dove down once. ;)

They have a HUGE shopping building, but we didn't go in it (we were wet at the time and were just going to the bathroom) but it looked like it had a lot in there.

Mitsugirly, the photos in your reviews are gorgeous. What kind of camera do you use?

We have an Olympus Tough also, and it takes GREAT pictures! We are thinking of getting another one so hubby & I both will have one when we are snorkeling.

That's exactly what we did with our Canon's. We loved it so much we got a second one so we didn't argue over who got the camera. :D Then I added the Olympus and love it even more.

Not to hijack the thread - I'm trying to decide about going with Upachaya or someone else - but DH and I are also in the market for a new underwater camera or two.

Why do you both like the Olympus Tough? Doing a quick search, which Tough do you have?

Many thanks....Pam

Not to hijack the thread - I'm trying to decide about going with Upachaya or someone else - but DH and I are also in the market for a new underwater camera or two.

Why do you both like the Olympus Tough? Doing a quick search, which Tough do you have?

Many thanks....Pam

I like it because it takes great pictures (if you look at any of my last reviews, you can see what type of pictures it takes both underwater and above). It's compact (compared to my Canon D10, which is more of a "bubble" shape). It has A LOT of neat features which include tilt shift photos, HDR, and an easy to use panorama function (among A LOT more, but those are some of my favorites). Comparing it to my D10 again, the buttons are easy to use. With the D10, you have to go in to your settings to change it to video when you want to use it that way. With the Olympus, it's just a different button you push. No trying to fumble around trying to "change" the settings, so it's quick and easy. They also come in different colors (I decided to go with the bright pink for the fact that it's easy to spot when in a room or snorkeling...heaven for bid if you were to drop it, you'd at least find it easily). It's just an all around good camera.

The one that I bought was the 620 (which was the only style they had available where I bought it) at the time, but would have looked into different models to compare if they were available at the time. So, I can't speak for the other models. :)

Thanks, Kim. BTW, I've been spending a few hours reading your reviews. :D After reading your review of Maya Key, now I'm really torn between a "traditional" snorkel excursion of Upachaya and the Maya Key experience. DH and I really like to snorkel but he's not a sit on a chair by the beach type, so Maya Key gives him/us stuff to do. What a problem to have! ;)

We're Canon EOS folks so I'm intrigued by the Olympus. Your pics certainly help sell it!

Thanks...Pam

Thanks, Kim. BTW, I've been spending a few hours reading your reviews. :D After reading your review of Maya Key, now I'm really torn between a "traditional" snorkel excursion of Upachaya and the Maya Key experience. DH and I really like to snorkel but he's not a sit on a chair by the beach type, so Maya Key gives him/us stuff to do. What a problem to have! ;)

We're Canon EOS folks so I'm intrigued by the Olympus. Your pics certainly help sell it!

Thanks...Pam

I have been on the "snorkeling tours" before and I have to say TO ME, they just don't compare. It has always been the same old same old...boat trip out to the ocean, stop, jump in, snorkel, go back. It's just really not "my" thing. Going to Maya Key, we could go out and snorkel when we wanted, walk the grounds, visit the animals, relax for a moment on the beach, eat when we got hungry, go back out to snorkel more, swim in the refreshing pool before leaving...it was just nice to do things at your own pace, have more than 1 thing to do, and go snorkeling as much as we wanted over and over again. I just really enjoyed the place. :)

• 2 months later...

I know it's been awhile on this thread, but I do have a question! Do we have to pay for the snorkeling equipment on Maya Key or is it included in the cost of the "ticket."

We've booked and are now trying to decide if we're bringing fins.

Many thanks!

Pam

• 3 weeks later...
I know it's been awhile on this thread, but I do have a question! Do we have to pay for the snorkeling equipment on Maya Key or is it included in the cost of the "ticket."

We've booked and are now trying to decide if we're bringing fins.

Many thanks!

Pam

the snorkeling equipment is included in the price of the excursion. i brought my own as i just don't like using someone else's but lots of the folks got theirs on site. if you have your own i suggest at least bringing your snorkel and mask.

angel ccl website shows $90 pp for adults and $50 for children. my wife and i went and considered it well worth the cost the lunch was very good. the reef snorkeling there is easy and amazing.

Wow, to me that seems a bit pricey: for the three of us $230......

Although it looks wonderful, I will have to find something more cost effective for my family

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

Wow, NCL prices were $59 for adult and $49 for child......

I guess that's not as bad.....

I just want to be able to beach it and hold monkeys......

It would be preferable if I didn't have to spend so much money to do so.....

Anyone else have any suggestions ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn