Crusing in September

These up coming cruises in September will be my first when kids are in school. Not that i ever notice kids on a cruise but will there be alot less? I am just wondering what to expect. One is out of Miami and one is out of New Orleans if that makes a difference. First cruise without my kids ;)

We've cruised in Sept. quite a few times.

There are very few kids on board compared to when school is out.

I think most schools are in session in Sept. Especially after Labor Day.

When are the schools in Florida closed?

All the schools in the Tampa Bay Area are back in session. We cruised last

September, but it was a Canada/New England cruise which left from New York, there were some kids, but not many, the demographic skewed older, but I do not know if that might have been due to the itinerary.

We've cruised the past 3 Labor Day weeks (Sept), we actually take our kids too...although some may find this inappropriate, we pull ours out of school...the school is completely fine with it because otherwise, their grades & attendance are great, it's all reviewing the 1st couple weeks of school but most importantly, it's our big family trip, including extended family, and we've been doing for years.. :)

To answer your question, there will be kids, much less than peak times of course ;)

Also, we sail out of Galveston...not sure it that's makes a difference

Four of our cruises have been in September (anniversary month). I didn't even know there were kids on board on three of the cruises. We cruised last March and there seemed to be many more kids. We avoid June, July & August for several reasons so I may not have a good comparison.

The demographic on our September cruises seems to be more childless couples (young and old), a big percentage of honeymooners, and female groups - friends, sisters, etc. To break it down for you...

*We cruised Europe in September 2009 and we were very young on that cruise compared to the others. Us and a lot of older couples (50/60s).

*Cruised out of New Orleans in 2007 in September and it was lots of couples, a younger vibe/crowd (late 20s/to early 40s) and big groups of partying women or so it seemed - very fun cruise! The September cruise I took out of New Orleans was myself and 41 friends from work because that month worked for most of us - our group was lots of singles, several young couples, and only one family with three kids.

*Did a B2B cruise down the west coast in September 2011 and I swear there wasn't a kid to be found out of Vancouver cruising down to LA. There were a few kids on the Mexican Riviera trip from LA & back - and lots & lots & lots of early 20s party-types which surprised the heck out of us because it was a 9-day cruise. The Mexican Riviera was our least favorite cruise (for lots of reasons).

Hope that helps! We are looking at September 2014 already.... but I think we need a little April/May fix first! ;)

We have cruised in September for the past few years because we have "Fall Break" for our kids is the last week in September. When we lived up North (Illinois) the kids never had a fall break only a winter one, though seems to be pretty popular down South. I know of course different schools have different weeks or their fall breaks down here.

Though I don't find that there is as MANY kids as Summer/Spring Break cruises;)

School started in my town this week. Surrounding areas started 2 weeks ago. I think everyone in Florida is back in session again. We've sailed off peak season before and I don't remember seeing too many kids. There were some but the ship was not overrun by them.

I'm a super bad parent and I will be letting my kids stay out of school for our 4 day on the Imagination in October and 1 of them gets to go on our 7 day in September. 11 days missed but Hey! What can you do. Especially when I'm addicted. She'll do her work on the ship and turn it in when we return. No biggie!

School opened for students this week.

We have cruised in September before...We were on the Glory when Katrina hit. Our wedding anniversary is on Sept. 2...so.....

Labor Day..still lots of kids. Most nice. some not.

We have gone at the end of September. Few Kids. the ones on board well behaved and pleasant to be around. We HAVE cruised a lot in October and November..my favorite time to cruise. Rates are low. Weather about the same year round in the Caribbean. Demographics are more like My DH and myself. I like Princess a lot..and it seems to me..in the fall...Carnival ships are much more like Princess. Lots of fun...but still structure. IIf you are supposed to dine at eight...mostly likely you will and not have to wait in a line forever.

We are sailing again on Sept. 14... so we put our money where our mouth is......

I'm a super bad parent and I will be letting my kids stay out of school for our 4 day on the Imagination in October and 1 of them gets to go on our 7 day in September. 11 days missed but Hey! What can you do. Especially when I'm addicted. She'll do her work on the ship and turn it in when we return. No biggie!

No argument from me. At times we've taken the kids from school to cruise. I am in no way saying school isn't important. However, other things can be important too. Family time, learning about new cultures, practicing manners and social skills are all very important.

The only time this hasn't worked for me is when the kids are in high school. It's hard to keep up and make up anything missed.

School in Miami is already in session. But.. the week of Labor Day the kids are also off the Wednesday for the Jewish holiday. We are taking our kids out that week for a 6 night on the Freedom. We usually cruise in March for spring break and there are a lot of kids.

We always try to cruise while school is in session... There are always some children onboard, but much less than summer cruises... I put my son and daughter in law on a honeymoon cruise last June and they reported back that there was 1400 children on board out of 3500 passengers... I may never get grandchildren now... :( LOL

They came home saying "maybe we will wait awhile"...

I remember a few years back on one of the Superbowl cruise... We were watching the Pregame show from the hot tub on lido deck and being crawled over and splashed by 7 year olds... Now I find the Serenity deck or adults only area on the ship first thing...

I do have to admit though, that Carnival does an exceptional job with their activities for children. I was always reluctant to take mine when they were young.

I like kids as well, mine are grown responsible adults now. It just seems that many use the ship as a babysitter. They can't go far so let them run, and run they do. Up and down hallways burning off energy. But they never find the walking track, basketball court, or treadmills. But I am always pleased when I see the camp carnival group going thru or the kids party in the disco during the day. Carnival has a great program for those who use it.

I'm cruising this September and I am looking forward to the fewer children. I am a mom myself, but I am looking forward for a few days to just enjoy my marriage without a million kids around. When our son gets older I will take him on cruises with us. If the child has perfect attendance otherwise and good grades a couple of days won't hurt (especially if they are younger- I don't think I will be able to do that in the teenager years).

Archived