The best reason(s) to take very young children on a cruise?

mikesteg

What are YOUR reasons?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What are YOUR reasons?

• It's a great value (when you pick the right cruise)
    • All the smiles when other pax see my kids having a blast just walking across deck
    • Much safer than taking them to a foreign country for a week
    • I love to spend time with my kids, because I love my kids
    • (Relatively) free childcare
    • No cooking, no dishes!
    • We've been to all the ports without them, so it's great to see things through new eyes
    • My favorite cruise line targets families... who am I to argue?

Children do not exist in a vacuum - every experience molds them. When I first started on this board - my kids were babies and I was saying - years from now - they will appreciate these experiences. NOW - fast forward through a decade of cruising with them - they have seen what few children in our area has. They have swam with dolphins and sting rays. Seen sharks, whales and manatees in their natural environment. They have been to countless countries and have witnessed many cultures.

The next cruise will take them to the West Coast so they can see the other side of our nation (and Canada).

So many times I hear parents say "I would never take my kids to New York City" - why not? If they are too afraid to leave the backyard - then when they are older - they won't look beyond.

Traveling is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children. It's part of their education :)

Because I would be so sad to leave my son for a week just so I could go on vacation! Even if we wanted to, we don't have family close by and he rarely sees them, so it would be really tough on him and the designated family member.

Because even though he may not remember these early cruises I will.

Maybe when he's older and grumpy and would rather do anything that be with mom and dad we may consider him staying with family or friends. But probably not.

Cruising is the best way to take a real vacation with the kids. Everything is made so easy. Lots of options, the crew helps make it a great times. Food is easy, they will always find something to eat that they like. Lots of activities for allnages. But best of all, spending some times with them, in a none stress environment, you. Have time to spent with them.

I have waited a lot before taking my children on a cruise, they epwere 7 and 10, if we had to redonit, i would bring them a lot quicker + there are often rebates fir the 3 or 4 which makes it more available. Do ot be afraid to bring them on any line, they ll adjust and find something great on all of them. Enjoy!

While we did countless land and resort vacations, I waited to take my kids on a cruise. First, the whole idea of being stuck in a cabin with a whiney child was not my idea of fun. Most importantly, I wanted them to be able to appreciate the elegance (long gone) of cruising. I wanted to make sure they could sit through formal dining, be polite, and patience for 1.5-2 hours.

We usually travel without our kids on our anniversary. Every few years I take a solo, LOVED IT. Really fun time with the family is amusement parks, water parks, spa day with my DD.

Easy! No cooking, no dishes, no cleaning, no agonizing over where to eat, no bill to pay when you finally do find a place, no worries about ordering a second appetizer, kids club so mom and dad can have a dinner out, unpack once, see multiple destinations.... Cruising with kids is as close to trouble free as you can get for a family vacation. As a WAHM of 3 I have a lot of face time with my toddler, and while I doubt cruising with her will be seamless, a bad day on board sure as shoot beats a bad day at home.

Only problem I see with this poll is that there's not an "all above" option. :)

We've only been on one cruise with our dd so far, but we already have March and June booked. Obviously it was a good experience for us and I don't think she ruined anyone else's vacation. She was only 22 months when she went on the first one but she still talks about the beach and the ship, so something must be stuck in her brain somewhere. Plus, it doesn't hurt for her to dress for dinner and sit nicely at a table. It's all an eduction.

I like my kid, like spending time with my kid - so where I go she goes, within reason, and a cruise seems like a reasonable place to go with her!

(Besides I just love seeing the GOF's get their undies in a bundle when they realize they have to "share" their world with someone under 18YO :D)

Easy. A cruise is easy. Drive to port (OK that part wasn't easy, that part sucked), board ship and enjoy 7 days of fun.

Our first with dd was 14 months. Perfect. Next she'll be 26 months, even better since she's potty trained, but I honestly didn't mind the diapers as much as I thought I would. Next kid I won't wait as long, as long as they are walking well and on one nap. (Though, dd did take two naps or have quiet time before dinner).

Dh and I have cruised before dd, we'll cruise after kids as well. Cruising with kids, and young ones at that, is a different experience. It wasn't about drinking and hitting the midnight buffet or doing everything.

We were laid back, took it easy. Dh took dd to play after dinner, (we'd order, then one of us would walk with her till food come). I enjoyed coffee and dessert. I'm a sahm, do you know how offend I get that much time to myself, to do NOTHING? I don't. Dh got time with dd, I got time to me, we got time as a family. No cooking or cleaning or packing lunches or driving. I even read a few chapters of a book!

We had a balcony. Dh and I had time together after she was passed out. A few nights he left for a movie, one night I attempted. One night I did walk around and go get food. It was great, I could 'leave' but still be close if dd woke and needed me.

DD had a blast. This year, I KNOW she'll have even MORE fun.

I'd never leave my kids behind, and we don't do daycare. Though, we MIGHT do the club when she's old enough, if she asks. Cruises are for family time, not pawn my kid away time.

Cruises are for family time, not pawn my kid away time.

Everyday is family time unless you cruise 365 days per year:cool:

You are fortunate not need daycare. I never used the child care on ANY vacation until my kids were old enough to communicate well.

I was simply distrusting and paranoid

I agree that travel is a gift you can give your children, part of their education and a great opportunity to spend time as a family. I have boys who are 3 and we are taking them on their first cruise in October. They love all things transportation and I can't wait to take them on the ship.

I am particularly excited to be off work and not have my work emails to respond to, or having to commute in rush hour.

I think the best part about cruising with very young kids is the variety of the different ports of call (for the parents) and the convenience of something similar to a land-based all-inclusive resort (with better food).

If you do a land-based vacation, you're stuck planning activities and meals. If you "Do Disney" and your child is tired and cranky, you're looking at at least a 30min trek out of the park and back to the hotel.

If you do a land-based All-Inclusive vacation, you have the convenience of always being near the room, you don't have to plan around the meals... but you don't get the variety. It's the same pool, the same beach, same island... which is fine for most people... but there's so much more on a cruise.

On a cruise vacation, meals are not an issue. If your kid is getting cranky - the room is 2 decks down for nap time. Of course, you could be off the ship for at least 4-6 hours at a port of call... but it's different each disembarkation... the kids are stimulated! Each port is unique and interesting.

What can be better than all that? Maybe all-inclusive top shelf liquors like an all-inclusive, but who're we kidding? The family-oriented lines are expected to make $$$$. We can't expect them to be all like Crystal Cruises... but Crystal's prices accommodate the free beverages... so it's a wash.

What can be better than all that? Maybe all-inclusive top shelf liquors like an all-inclusive, but who're we kidding? The family-oriented lines are expected to make $$$$. We can't expect them to be all like Crystal Cruises... but Crystal's prices accommodate the free beverages... so it's a wash.

Not as much as you would think...enjoy!

12 connecting pools, private swim-out suite!

Adult All-Inclusives don't cater to the little ones. I personally enjoyed our time at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in the D.R.

GREAT food. Lobster (albeit previously frozen) on the lunch grill every day, real "fake" caviar (paddlefish or hackleback) on the smoked salmon and cream cheese at breakfast.

253174_2010818519262_4518546_n.jpg246963_2021606788962_7371962_n.jpg

It was GREAT! No kids... which was great, too! But it's not a place they would be welcome if I wanted to take them.

When it comes to a land-based all-inclusive that caters to little ones? All I know in the Caribbean is the Beaches Resorts, and JFK in Falmouth, Jamaica... and we're not talking about great food here... it's BEACHES... c'mon.

Thank God I don't have to take my kids to MEXICO to have a good vacation. It's on the "do not travel" list for a reason, kidnapping being the main reason. :eek:

Adult All-Inclusives don't cater to the little ones. I personally enjoyed our time at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in the D.R.

GREAT food. Lobster (albeit previously frozen) on the lunch grill every day, real "fake" caviar (paddlefish or hackleback) on the smoked salmon and cream cheese at breakfast.

It was GREAT! No kids... which was great, too! But it's not a place they would be welcome if I wanted to take them.

When it comes to a land-based all-inclusive that caters to little ones? All I know in the Caribbean is the Beaches Resorts, and JFK in Falmouth, Jamaica... and we're not talking about great food here... it's BEACHES... c'mon.

edit:

By the way, Blk_Amish, those are BEAUTIFUL photos. Which resort was that?

Thank God I don't have to take my kids to MEXICO to have a good vacation. It's on the "do not travel" list for a reason, kidnapping being the main reason. :eek:

Mexico isn't THAT bad. Sure, the State Department usually throws out warning here and there, but the major resort areas haven't seen any decapitated bodies laying on the main strip in Cancun for a few years now.

If you go to a nice all-inclusive, you don't need to leave the resort. Much like Jamaica... the guards around the perimeter of the resort have automatic rifles.

:D

No you don't, a GREAT vacation can happen HERE in the US. Enjoy!

Jamaica no problem, Mexico no solution, I am happy with both. The other album was our family vacation in Mexico, no guards but we also traveled to ruins and cenotes away from the resort zone.

edit:

By the way, Blk_Amish, those are BEAUTIFUL photos. Which resort was that?

It was our family stay at the Grande Sunset Princess in Playa Del Carmen. The swim-out suite was amazing. Beaches Boscobel was the most expensive family resort we have EVER booked but for adult I love Couples . Do you mean FDR in Runaway Bay? My favorite vacation destination is the US:D If I had to do the same vacation experience over and over be it cruise or resort then I would rather stay home. I live in South Cal, not a bad decision:D

Archived