First Solo cruise - RCI or NCL?

JenLost

This will be my second cruise - first solo one :confused: My first cruise was on RCI on a 7 day Western Caribbean and it was a-ma-zing. I loved the food, the entertainment and the service.

For my first solo cruise I have been looking at RCI and NCL and money wise, NCL would be the way to go with their solo studios but I really don't know anything else about NCL. I'm 30, don't know if that changes anything.

BTW, I'm 30, don't know if that changes anything.

Which one would you go on?

I really appreciate your input ;)

Edited by JenLost

I'm 30 as well and have done my two solos on RCI, but have been on NCL.

Personally, I'm loyal to Royal, but it appears that NCL's newest ships with the solo cabins offers a lot for solo travellers and as you stated above, it's cheaper, so it may be the way to go. I was looking at the Epic for a European sailing next fall and although I don't want to stray away from RCI right now, I may have to do that to cross Italy and Greece off my bucket list.

Have fun with whatever you choose! :)

Where were you thinking of cruising? Are the port stops important to you or are you going mainly for the cruise ship experience? Is your timing flexible?

The answers to these questions would have an impact on how much you would enjoy the cruise and the cost comparisons. For example the Studio rate may not necessarily be less expensive than single occupancy in a regular inside cabin on another ship (or even on the same one).

That being said I had a great experience as a solo on the Epic. There is a value to having access to the lounge exclusive to the Studios which increases the opportunities to interact with other solo travellers. But the Studios are also popular with people who are travelling with friends but prefer to have their own cabin.

If you're considering another Caribbean cruise and would like to experience more of the Caribbean islands RCI has a wider variety of itineraries to choose from. But if you're going more for the cruise ship experience than the ports then I'd definitely recommend it.

The biggest difference with NCL is their "Freestyle Cruising" which means you don't have assigned dining times and seating. Many cruisers prefer this while others prefer the "Traditional" dining where you're seated with same people and have the same serving staff every night. If you're in the Studios then it may be possible to link up with other solo travellers to go to one of the restaurants as a group. The staff arranged a couple group dinners but there's a message centre where anyone can suggest a time and place.

RCI's commitment to their Entertainment product shows but the Epic was also great for entertainment in a different way. The "Freestyle" concept applies there too as there is not a single daily show that everyone goes to but instead you have a variety of things to choose from on the Entertainment deck.

I love NCL so I am biased, but I guess most here are in one way or an other. I think the biggest difference is how you want to dine, especially dinner. NCL does not have early or late seating with assigned tables. For me that is part of the beauty as I prefer to have a table for my own. The downside of that is that while you can tell the hostess that you like to join a table or have people joining you later it is possible that it just does not happen as other cruisers might have no interest.

When you stay in the studio lounge (Epic or Breakaway) you have a white board where you can find other solo travelers for a shared dinner in the MDR or the specialty restaurant:

9588499906_d848b576f6.jpg

SAM_0922 von micm_ auf Flickr

If you like casual and fun you might love NCL as well. A nice thread to read might be:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1902511

btw: I have my next solo cruise booked on RCI so it is not that I am against other cruise lines ;)

Ncl would be my choice.having sailed on the epic 4 times with the poa and breakaway upcoming,I love the way they cater to solo travelers.having sailed on RCI and carnival,albeit not solo,I was converted to solo cruising by ncl and their studios,now I'm biased because they do a good job and have better deals for solos.

This will be my second cruise - first solo one :confused: My first cruise was on RCI on a 7 day Western Caribbean and it was a-ma-zing. I loved the food, the entertainment and the service.

For my first solo cruise I have been looking at RCI and NCL and money wise, NCL would be the way to go with their solo studios but I really don't know anything else about NCL. I'm 30, don't know if that changes anything.

BTW, I'm 30, don't know if that changes anything.

Which one would you go on?

I really appreciate your input ;)

I am booked on the NCL Getaway out of Miami Feb 8th to try out and support the studio cabin for solo passengers. I've been on NCL aboard the Star and Pride of America so am excited to try out all the features on their brand new ship. I find NCL great for solo sailings as they are really understanding the requirements. I find anytime dining is great to meet new people each day. Strait after the NCL cruise I am jumping onto the MSC Divina on the 15th Feb to experience a new cruise line also. On this cruise I am sharing a cabin with a friend I made sailing solo on the Oosterdam on an Alaskan cruise this July. So I find solo cruising a great way to make new friends and try new experiences.

Thank you for your input. I think for my first solo cruise I'm going to stick with what I know and like. I'll go with RCI. If I enjoy the experience, maybe I'll try NCL for my second solo cruise. ;)

Thank you for your input. I think for my first solo cruise I'm going to stick with what I know and like. I'll go with RCI. If I enjoy the experience, maybe I'll try NCL for my second solo cruise. ;)

Late input here, but I have traveled frequently on both lines.

+NCL - the studios are tiny, but having the Living Room is amazing. You can almost always find someone to chat with, wander the ports or groups routinely get together for diner. Last time on the Epic the age range was 23-79.

+RCI - If you can find the cruises without the single supplement you can get a great deal. There are several out of Boston that are without supplement. Next spring the Indie TA is without single supplement. If you have cruised with a line before, there is often a discount for past travelers.

Cruising by yourself gives you lots of options. Go for it.

-Holly

• 2 months later...
Late input here, but I have traveled frequently on both lines.

+NCL - the studios are tiny, but having the Living Room is amazing. You can almost always find someone to chat with, wander the ports or groups routinely get together for diner. Last time on the Epic the age range was 23-79.

+RCI - If you can find the cruises without the single supplement you can get a great deal. There are several out of Boston that are without supplement. Next spring the Indie TA is without single supplement. If you have cruised with a line before, there is often a discount for past travelers.

Cruising by yourself gives you lots of options. Go for it.

-Holly

I agree 100% with holly here. NCL has the solo traveler experience down pat with studios. I've snagged a med cruise on rccl as a solo, and soon will be in one of the new studios on the rccl serenade....but without the lounge, I'm not expecting as good an experience....

I had a blast in the studios on the NCL Epic last year. So much so that I immediately booked a second trip, which is coming up in about two months! Can't wait!

Like someone said earlier, the access to the studio lounge (as well as the solo gatherings, solo coordinator, etc) is priceless. I, personally, couldn't imagine cruising solo without it. :)

I had a blast in the studios on the NCL Epic last year. So much so that I immediately booked a second trip, which is coming up in about two months! Can't wait!

Like someone said earlier, the access to the studio lounge (as well as the solo gatherings, solo coordinator, etc) is priceless. I, personally, couldn't imagine cruising solo without it. :)

Are they still doing these get to know each other games the first meeting like describing your job without words? That reminded me of kindergarten and I hated it. Never went back after that.

Are they still doing these get to know each other games the first meeting like describing your job without words? That reminded me of kindergarten and I hated it. Never went back after that.

You described your job without words in Kindergarten? *cough*

No, we didn't do anything like that... We did, however, introduce ourselves and say whether or not we had cruised before, etc. I guess it's a personal thing, though... because I like playing 'get to know you' games. XD

Our solo coordinator on that cruise was the fabulous Fernando... and he was amazing! I can only hope that whatever solo coordinator we have in January will be half as good. Fernando really spoiled us. lol

I've been on the epic three times, and I'd barf if we did get to know you games. The cruise directors I've had just offer a group dinner and ask what we'd like....I wrote on white board I wanted to go to specialty restaurants, and ended up forming a nice eclectic dining group that went to every restaurant!