Advice on RCI Excursions in Aruba

I've booked all my shore excursions with the exception of Aruba. None of the RCI offerings for this island seemed to really grab me. I'd like to do something with a little adventure, but nothing too crazy or too crowded.

I visited the island years ago, but spent most of the day diving the wrecks. From what I recall, it seemed like most of the boat trips made the same stops. I remember looking up to an abundance of snorkelers overhead and being glad I was down below the chaos. Unfortunately, I haven't been diving in years, so that isn't really an option this time out. I've toyed with the idea of doing the Discover Scuba excursion on this stop, but am not sure whether spending part of the day in the pool is worth the one dive. If anyone has done this excursion, I'd love to hear your feedback.

I'll be solo on this trip, so I'd like to stick to either an RCI excursion or a very well known local tour operator. Any thoughts on how to make the most of this stop would be greatly appreciated.

I've booked all my shore excursions with the exception of Aruba. None of the RCI offerings for this island seemed to really grab me. I'd like to do something with a little adventure, but nothing too crazy or too crowded.

I visited the island years ago, but spent most of the day diving the wrecks. From what I recall, it seemed like most of the boat trips made the same stops. I remember looking up to an abundance of snorkelers overhead and being glad I was down below the chaos. Unfortunately, I haven't been diving in years, so that isn't really an option this time out. I've toyed with the idea of doing the Discover Scuba excursion on this stop, but am not sure whether spending part of the day in the pool is worth the one dive. If anyone has done this excursion, I'd love to hear your feedback.

I'll be solo on this trip, so I'd like to stick to either an RCI excursion or a very well known local tour operator. Any thoughts on how to make the most of this stop would be greatly appreciated.

Go read about the experiences of other people on the Aruba board:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

Unless you have developed a physical problem since the last time you dived, go to your local dive shop and take a refresher which is not long. Then go to Aruba and dive instead of snorkel. I would not do the discover SCUBA tour as it would be B O R I N G!

Last time we were on Aruba we did a horse ride from a ranch on the island and it was really great. They had highly spirited horses not the old nag type you see here in the state parks.

Aruba is a small desert island so there is not a lot to do other than the beach.

Unless you have developed a physical problem since the last time you dived, go to your local dive shop and take a refresher which is not long. Then go to Aruba and dive instead of snorkel. I would not do the discover SCUBA tour as it would be B O R I N G!

I've always wanted to try horseback riding, but I'm currently about 25 lbs over the weight limit. I've got another cruise booked for May 2014, so I may have to make it my new mission to lose those excess lbs so I can finally give it a go.

I stopped diving when I went back to school about two years ago, so I'm a bit rusty and a bit heavier than I used to be. I was thinking the Discover Scuba program might be a chance to ease back into the water, but I like your idea much better.

I only have about two weeks left before my trip, but there are a number of local dive shops in town. I'll check out the option of a refresher course. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When we were in Aruba (group of 6) last year, we hired Sonny Liston (Sonny's Tours) for a private tour of the island. It lasted almost 6 hours and basically covered the whole island. It included California Lighthouse, the Butterfly farm, the Aloe Factory, Alto Vista chapel and tons of other things. In addition the guide took us to a nice local restaurant for lunch. I don't remember the price, but I think it was very fair given what we received;). I would go again in a heartbeat!

Aruba is a small desert island so there is not a lot to do other than the beach.

Not sure what this has to do with the amount of activities the island has to offer. Aruba has as much to do as any other Caribbean island. Many water activities, island tours, segways, sky diving, and the lastest the Jetlev. Here's a website of for Redsail Sports which has many activities:

http://www.aruba-redsail.com/

We also took the Segway tour to the California Lighthouse. It was a lot of fun. After you are done, there is a beach next to the Segway operator and you can hang on the beach for as long as you like and they will take you back to the ship.

I think I am going to satxdiver's suggestion and look into a local scuba refresher course. Finding something in the next two weeks might be a bit of a challenge, especially since this weekend is a holiday, but I would enjoy getting back into the water.

If that doesn't work out, perhaps I'll try the "shake and bake" tour since that seems to be a favorite.

Thanks for all the ideas. It's great having a place like cruise critic where you can benefit from the experiences of fellow cruisers. :)

Archived