Norway....a cruise in16 mins

• 3 weeks later...

We've seen this particular video before our recent Fjords cruise aboard the "Vision of the Seas."

Today, we came across another inspiring VIDEO of our own Fjords cruise (from Copenhagen, 7 nights to Norway)

staring a wonderful Canadian couple... and with more emphasis on the ports of call visited

(5 of them: Kristiansand, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen)

than on the cruise ship itself.

We remember this beautiful couple from the Gym : - ))

If you took the Pulpit Rock cruise in Stavanger... or rented a car in Alesund...

or took the morning (9:30am) bus to Mt. Dalsnibba in Geiranger... or the funicular in Bergen...

or simply been on a Fjords cruise aboard the "Vision of the Seas" (or any other cruise sip for this matter)-- you will enjoy this review:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this was posted on the P&O Face book page....if you are thinking of a Norway cruise or love Norway take a look at this.

Appreciate this video. Nicely edited, brings back lots of memories, good music, upbeat, fun!!

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are a few of my photo samples to help those preparing for their first visit to this wonderful area. More and lots of ports details from my full live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 125,642 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Appreciate this video. Nicely edited, brings back lots of memories, good music, upbeat, fun!!

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are a few of my photo samples to help those preparing for their first visit to this wonderful area. More and lots of ports details from my full live/blog connected below.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 125,642 views.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Can you share the type of lens you used to achieve these beautiful pictures?

Can you share the type of lens you used to achieve these beautiful pictures?

Appreciate your nice comments and good follow-up. The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. As others have mentioned, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. On the camera, I have been using a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. But for our early 2014 Australia-NZ-Hawaii trip, I am upgrading now to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens.

Lenses are also important. Mostly I have been shooting with the Nikon 18-55mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this D3100 camera. Also have a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. Recently, I got a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for lower light and other such needs/specialities. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 126,102 views.

Appreciate your nice comments and good follow-up. The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. As others have mentioned, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. On the camera, I have been using a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing. But for our early 2014 Australia-NZ-Hawaii trip, I am upgrading now to a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm VR lens.

Lenses are also important. Mostly I have been shooting with the Nikon 18-55mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this D3100 camera. Also have a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. Recently, I got a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for lower light and other such needs/specialities. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, etc.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 126,102 views.

Thank you! We are using a Nikon D3100 and have the first two lenses you mentioned. I'll get the Sigma for DH for Christmas. Your photos are very interesting and I like the idea of a better editing program than we have. I really appreciate your advice and hope that I haven't ventured too far off track from the original poster's intent of this thread, which I believe was the appreciation of the area! :)

Thank you! We are using a Nikon D3100 and have the first two lenses you mentioned. I'll get the Sigma for DH for Christmas. Your photos are very interesting and I like the idea of a better editing program than we have. I really appreciate your advice and hope that I haven't ventured too far off track from the original poster's intent of this thread, which I believe was the appreciation of the area! :)

Glad to be of help. Good that you have the Nikon D3100. Having that 10-20mm lens has worked out super well for me. Happy to answer any other questions. Might post to the below live/blog thread and I will respond there. Don't want to side-track this thread too much.

We've seen this particular video before our recent Fjords cruise aboard the "Vision of the Seas."

Today, we came across another inspiring VIDEO of our own Fjords cruise (from Copenhagen, 7 nights to Norway)

staring a wonderful Canadian couple... and with more emphasis on the ports of call visited

(5 of them: Kristiansand, Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen)

than on the cruise ship itself.

We remember this beautiful couple from the Gym : - ))

If you took the Pulpit Rock cruise in Stavanger... or rented a car in Alesund...

or took the morning (9:30am) bus to Mt. Dalsnibba in Geiranger... or the funicular in Bergen...

or simply been on a Fjords cruise aboard the "Vision of the Seas" (or any other cruise sip for this matter)-- you will enjoy this review:

Thank you for posting this lovely video. It brings back lots of memories from our Norway cruise on the Vision of the Seas.:):)