Dawn with almost 2 year old??

denmanja

We have the western Caribbean booked for early December. With 2 weeks to go before final payment, my husband is getting cold feet about traveling with our son. My husband and I have cruised Royal several times in the past. But we've had no real vacations since baby. He'll turn 23 months on the cruise if we go, so it's about time! :)

Can anyone provide pros / cons (even the obvious) to help me plead my case with him?? I think he's most afraid of lack of sleep (for my son and then for us) and boredom. We've booked a balcony room, and my parents have booked the adjoining room (and are more than willing to babysit as needed!) How did your sleeping arrangements work out? Are there enough activities for the under 2 crowd? Did you only eat at the buffet (my husband would love this)?

Thanks in advance!

Our son was 13 months on the Epic and turned 3 on the Dawn. Cruising is great with kids but it won't be the same as cruising without. I suggest reading over on the family board for ideas of what to pack and what to expect. Some observations

The balcony is a great retreat for the parents while the child is sleeping

There is no tub in a balcony room, get the child used to showers or bring an inflatable tub

The inflatable tub can also be used as a pool if the child is not potty trained. No use of the pool if not potty trained

We did meals in the main dining room and specialty restaurants. You know your child and if they can handle an extended meal

Our son slept in a pack and play in the Epic and on the pullout on the Dawn

We had grandparents traveling with us which did allow us some alone time

There are activities for the under 2 crowd but the parent has to stay

Beach excursions or shopping with the stroller are manageable. Tours and longer excursions can be a problem

The crew will dote on your child, they love seeing young children. The cruise can be very enjoyable as long as you are ready to change plans in a minute based on how the child is reacting.

Feel free to ask if there are any questions and have a great cruise :)

We've found cruising to actually be easiest with our very youn children, but as previous posters suggest, you know your child best. Our children were able to handle dinners in specialty restaurants every night. There is a "play area" for children under three, but no actual organized activities. We found plenty to do onboard regardless- little ones are easy to please! I do recommend the inflatable tub for baths in a balcony cabin, and also agree that the balcony is an ideal spot for some after-bedtime cocktails for Mom and Dad!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have the western Caribbean booked for early December. With 2 weeks to go before final payment, my husband is getting cold feet about traveling with our son. My husband and I have cruised Royal several times in the past. But we've had no real vacations since baby. He'll turn 23 months on the cruise if we go, so it's about time! :)

Can anyone provide pros / cons (even the obvious) to help me plead my case with him?? I think he's most afraid of lack of sleep (for my son and then for us) and boredom. We've booked a balcony room, and my parents have booked the adjoining room (and are more than willing to babysit as needed!) How did your sleeping arrangements work out? Are there enough activities for the under 2 crowd? Did you only eat at the buffet (my husband would love this)?

Thanks in advance!

You are very lucky to have your parents with you. They will be able to help you, your son will love being with his grandparents and you and DH will be able to have some quality time together.

Cruising happily with a toddler really depends on the child. My daughter would have been fine with everything. My son would have been a disaster in every way. Not only would we be stressed, he would have been a true PITA to others. We never would have booked a balcony (he was a climber) and it would have been buffet only. Fortunately he has turned out well and we are very proud of him. But the first years were difficult. By the time he was 4 all was well.

Consider how well he does now in social situations and if you are still unsure why not wait until he is 3? At three he can be a "turtle" with the NCL Splash Academy http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-family-fun/youth-programs and most likely he will be potty trained and can use the pool. He will be worn out at the end of the day and you will all be able to get some sleep.

Only you and your DH know if he is ready. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the responses so far! Our son is well-behaved most of the time, and loves people and playing, but he is still a toddler and acts that way sometimes. I think my husband has expectations that aren't achievable for a 5 year old, nevermind that my son is only 19 months old right now :confused:

I think the cruise would be a lot of fun, but of course different than pre-baby cruises (just like the rest of our life!) My parents are excited about going and love to spoil their grandson, so we would definitely get a break whenever needed.

Twelvevman, was the pack n play a standard size? My son is pretty big for his age, and our last trip using one didn't turn out so well. I'm planning on either putting him on the couch turned around (something I read on the boards here) or using the pullout. Not sure how that would work, hopefully he won't end up in the bed with us every night.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't do it. Wait a year and go when your son is old enough to use the kid's program. There are going to be so many things that you want do to on this cruise and won't be able to because your son is too young. I agree with your hubby ... sorry!!

My parents are excited about going and love to spoil their grandson, so we would definitely get a break whenever needed.

Well, in that case, go! They would probably be really disappointed if you cancelled this late anyway. I'm sure you guys will have a great time regardless. My daughter has been traveling since she was 16 months old. We always found a way to make it work, but you also have to have reasonable expectations ;) (that was for your hubby LOL)

My children are grown, but, I read on another post recently a suggestion for parents of young children was to take them to the MDR and specialty restaurants early and tell the waiter that your child can last ___ long. Another parent suggested getting a tablet for them to watch things on. This seemed like a great idea. Anyway, good luck!

Several ports have zoo excursions and butterfly gardens. I would think that small children would like those as would parents.

My children are grown, but, I read on another post recently a suggestion for parents of young children was to take them to the MDR and specialty restaurants early and tell the waiter that your child can last ___ long. Another parent suggested getting a tablet for them to watch things on. This seemed like a great idea. Anyway, good luck!

Several ports have zoo excursions and butterfly gardens. I would think that small children would like those as would parents.

Thanks for all the responses so far! Our son is well-behaved most of the time, and loves people and playing, but he is still a toddler and acts that way sometimes. I think my husband has expectations that aren't achievable for a 5 year old, nevermind that my son is only 19 months old right now :confused:

I think the cruise would be a lot of fun, but of course different than pre-baby cruises (just like the rest of our life!) My parents are excited about going and love to spoil their grandson, so we would definitely get a break whenever needed.

Twelvevman, was the pack n play a standard size? My son is pretty big for his age, and our last trip using one didn't turn out so well. I'm planning on either putting him on the couch turned around (something I read on the boards here) or using the pullout. Not sure how that would work, hopefully he won't end up in the bed with us every night.

We have travelled with my parents and it does make it easier. Someone to help with babysitting as well as general help around the ship and at meals.

The pack and pay on the Epic was the traditional size. I am not sure if the couch on the Dawn can be turned around, but someone else can confirm. Another alternative is inflatable water noodles. I have seen them at Target in the dollar spot area. You can blow them up on the ship and tuck them under the bottom sheet giving a barrier to help stop the rolling out of the bed.

I will share the fact that our 3 year old decided he liked getting up early on the cruise and would pull open the curtains to the balcony and announce "look...it's morning!" Nothing like being woken up by the very bright sun shining off the water at 6 am :eek:

We're not really concerned about the kids program because he's not ready for that anyway. I stay home with him and I couldn't imagine handing him over to strangers... that's why we're bringing the grandparents!

@rbugler, thanks for the tips about excursions. Haven't even started looking yet. I think we'd be okay with a limited amount of time in the dining room, about an hour or so. Should give us enough time to eat at least a couple courses!

@Twelvevman, that is a great idea about the noodles! Hopefully it's not too late in the season to find some around here. That makes me feel a lot better about him staying on the couch.

We're not really concerned about the kids program because he's not ready for that anyway. I stay home with him and I couldn't imagine handing him over to strangers... that's why we're bringing the grandparents!

@rbugler, thanks for the tips about excursions. Haven't even started looking yet. I think we'd be okay with a limited amount of time in the dining room, about an hour or so. Should give us enough time to eat at least a couple courses!

@Twelvevman, that is a great idea about the noodles! Hopefully it's not too late in the season to find some around here. That makes me feel a lot better about him staying on the couch.

Does your son sleep in a crib or a bed at home? When our oldest was less than two, we put him in a bed, since he was climbing out of the crib. We bought a tuck in protective bed-side, which prevented him from rolling out onto the floor.

If your cabin has a pull-out trundle bed, perhaps that would work for you. Just put the noodles in, or pillows on the floor.

For excursions, I would look into Maya Chan in Costa Maya. It is a great beach area. You have a private palapa to use for the day with chairs, hammock and a beach lounger. They have sand toys for your son to use. The price includes transportation and all food and drinks. We really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back again.

Cruising with a small child can either be rewarding or really challenging. It's all in how you look at the experience and what you expect out of it. I've been on 8 cruises so far, DW has been on 7. The first 3 were pre-kids and the rest have been with either 1 or 2 kids.

Cruising with a young child is very different from cruising as a couple. You have to be willing to schedule your activities around the needs of the child and be willing to walk away from set plans if the little on is having a bad moment. If you think you'd be some somewhat resentful towards your child because you and your spouse are camping out on the balcony while they get into a deep sleep at night, then wait until the kid is older or leave them with his grandparents (if its possible).

We started cruising with our oldest DD when she was a year old and then every year since. The first two cruises were fine, but they were an adjustment as we had to learn how to travel with a small child in a balcony cabin who was prone to being woken up by ANY movement. Most nights, until she was in a really deep sleep, DW and I spent a few hours out on the balcony talking, playing cards and other board games (and enjoying a couple drinks we had grabbed in anticipation of our "camp out"). After that, we were fortunate enough to be able to afford moving up to a 2-bedroom family suite which was a dramatic improvement over the regular balcony cabin. Our DD was able to sleep in her own "room" with 2 closed doors between that allowed us to move around our living room, bedroom, & bathroom without disturbing her. We still had visibility on her since we brought the video baby monitor with us.

Last year, DD#2 entered the picture and joined us on her first cruise (Bermuda on Dawn) at 7 months old followed by her second (W. Caribbean on Star) at 1 year old. We still needed to be flexible, but by sticking to the 2BR suite we made it work. DD#1 slept in the smaller bedroom, DD#2 slept in her pak'n'play in the living room, and we slept nicely in the main bedroom with the pocket door closed.

Before kids, we enjoyed staying out late on our cruises and trying all sorts of interesting restaurants and clubs. When the little ones started joining us, we stopped going to shows and lounge events until our oldest was eligible for the Kids Club (which was 2 at the time). We opted to bring the higher-end dining experiences like Le Bistro into our suite rather than risk a meltdown by bringing the girls. Thankfully, our oldest DD *loves* the Kids Club and expects to spend her evenings there on every cruise (she's 4.5 now). We're hoping our littlest cruiser (1.5 now) will also enjoy the Kids Club once she hits 3. Until then, we've adjusted our expectations.

I cruise to get away from a very hectic IT management position where I'm constantly on the move all day (and sometimes well into the night); cruising offers me the option to completely unplug (unless the office is willing to pay $8/min to call my cabin) and stare out at the wonder that is the ocean. My DW cruises because it means a week where she doesn't have to prepare meals or clean (as a stay-at-home-mom she gets her fill of both of these activities). We're both control freaks and wouldn't imagine traveling without our girls. To us, family vacations are important and we couldn't imagine not sharing the experience with both of them. As a dad who is out of the home ~12 hours/day, our family vacations are a precious time where I get to spend a lot more quality time than usual with both girls, even if they're melting down. The time I have with them now is fleeting and before I know it they'll be out of school and on their own; these crazy memories of our family trips will stay with me for a lifetime. :)

Hi my sons first cruise was at age 2 on a carnival ship we had a great time, when I went out in the evenings I took him to the sitting service for no more than 2 1/2 hr( I watched for 30 min while he played with other children and the counselors. Tell hubby not to worry he will get plenty of sleep at night because the baby is kept busy. When my son was not at the sitting service I kept him busy through out the day. No worries, take your 2 yr old and have a wonderful time

Thanks in advance!

We took our twin 3 year old girls on their first cruise a week after they turned 3. (Carnival Magic) It was totally different cruising with them. I am a stay a home mom so camp carnival didn't work. We dropped them off twice and they cried both times. We like to explore the ship, we were unable to do that. As far as meals, we ate every meal in the main dining room. It was just too much to stand in the buffet lines and fix their food. We also did room service as snack time after their nap. They slept and napped very good. We spent a lot if time at water works. They enjoyed that. My in laws came with us and helped none!! We Will not be taking our girls until they are much older. Good luck!!

Hi my sons first cruise was at age 2 on a carnival ship we had a great time, when I went out in the evenings I took him to the sitting service for no more than 2 1/2 hr( I watched for 30 min while he played with other children and the counselors. Tell hubby not to worry he will get plenty of sleep at night because the baby is kept busy. When my son was not at the sitting service I kept him busy through out the day. No worries, take your 2 yr old and have a wonderful time

No sitting service or drop off on NCL. 7x24 with your child. The OP has grandparents to help.

Archived