Have You Stayed at the Hotel Galvez, Galveston??

kicker

Looking for info on Hotel Galvez that I can't seem to find here on CC. Specifically, I'm looking for Disney cruisers who stayed pre-cruise at the Galvez (although comment from others who have stayed there are also welcome).

We have the Galvez booked through Disney for our October cruise (its the only Galveston hotel choice Disney offers). I've read a lot about small rooms and other issues. I'm not overly concerned with having a small room (still larger than the ship I bet!:rolleyes:), but I'm wondering what type of room Disney cruisers receive: any type of view, double beds or Queens, Etc.. DW & I are travelling with our 4 yr old DGD. If its double beds she'll have one, DW and I will have the other. We have a King bed at home, and after 35 yrs of marriage a King or Queen is nice, but I'm sure we can "survive" one night on a double if necessary:o.

So, anyone have any experience with the Galvez through Disney?

I don't have experience through Disney but have stayed many times at The Galvez. I would be willing to bet you will get a City View room. The ocean view is more expensive and I think the partial ocean view rooms are not big enough to accommodate your family. I also think that you most likely will get a room with two double beds since you have a child traveling with you, although perhaps at check in you could request a King maybe?? I love The Galvez. It's an historic hotel and so much better than your average chain hotels/motels. Yes, some of the rooms are smaller because rooms were smaller back when it was built. I hope you enjoy your stay!

I don't have experience through Disney but have stayed many times at The Galvez. I would be willing to bet you will get a City View room. The ocean view is more expensive and I think the partial ocean view rooms are not big enough to accommodate your family. I also think that you most likely will get a room with two double beds since you have a child traveling with you, although perhaps at check in you could request a King maybe?? I love The Galvez. It's an historic hotel and so much better than your average chain hotels/motels. Yes, some of the rooms are smaller because rooms were smaller back when it was built. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the info. It sounds pretty much like what I expected, but it helps to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

It is a wonderfull historic hotel built in the early 1900's

and is operated by Wyndham Grand an upper tier operations of Wyndham.

It retains its historic splendor while providing guests the luxury of world class modern amenities.

It is one of really nice hotels in Galveston

along with San Luis, Moody Gardens,

Tremont and Harbor House(sister hotels)

With across the street you will have a lot to do:

Beach 32 miles

Seawall 10 mile walkway

Murdocks (A Large souvenir shop over gulf water)manta.com

Pleasure Pier (Historic Amusement Pier) pleasurepier.com [/b]Other

They have limo bus to take you downtown to they're other hotels , port, Old Town Strand and Post Office Street.

The Treemont has wonderful roof top bar over city and port.

The Harbor House has wonderful restuarant on port waters. A Greek one with saturday nite belly dancing!

M-F happy hour 4-7 with food and beverages. Ask for HH menu!

• 2 weeks later...

Wife & I stayed at the Galvez for 2 nites prior to our July, 2012 cruise and would stay there again without hesitation. It's as "ssb" posted. You pay a premium but we found it worth every dollar. Our room was a king which faced the seawall and gulf.

545964326_2012Cruise002.jpg.3e0f8ee130e062d2d71b532c47679bc0.jpg

593412438_2012Cruise003.jpg.77658118bd85a49f69d7821d62672cb6.jpg

892909408_2012Cruise003a.jpg.c2474bce4812d51c2dbe9068179133e8.jpg

1997117148_2012Cruise004.jpg.f67e1844bbe944166490a68805a19d34.jpg

Wife & I stayed at the Galvez for 2 nites prior to our July, 2012 cruise and would stay there again without hesitation. It's as "ssb" posted. You pay a premium but we found it worth every dollar. Our room was a king which faced the seawall and gulf.

I totally agree! When we go to Galveston for the weekend we stay at The Galvez or the Tremont House! Love them both but Galvez is our fav...love the pool area! They have an awesome Spa too!

Archived