Taking my own fins as a carry on item?

StevenStephen

Howdy,

I've snorkeled a couple times while on Cape Cod, but this will be the first time I'll travel with my fins. I took a look around the JetBlue website and found that they can count snorkel equipment, including fins, as a carry on item.

Does anyone have any experience with flying with fins? I'm thinking of taking either my Mares Volo Race or Mares Wave fins...with mask and snorkel of course, in a mesh fin backpack.

I know that I can use fins that are probably loaned/rented on-site, but I really love my fins. So, I'd like to take them if it's not a real test of patience.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I've done the rental thing, thinking that the extra room in luggage would be worth it. Once you're used to good quality fins - especially strap-heel fins and booties - going back to closed heel fins is torture. Pay the fee to take your own. It's worth it.

Harris

Denver, CO

I hear ya on wanting to take your own fins. I did that for years, hauling around these huge dive fins (used just for snorkeling). Now I have a pair of travel fins that I love. I don't notice much of a difference in the use, and takes up much less weight and space in your suitcase.

http://www.amazon.com/Divers-Travel-Small-Mens-4-7-Womans/dp/B0030DEAUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378230339&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+fins

• 1 month later...

Have travelled all over the world carry on with snorkel gear airlines are allowing it more. Packed ours once and bags were stollen so never again. My husband has a prescription mask so worst case I would carry that on and pack fins. I am very small and always found things did not fit unless child's size.

We always take a minimum of mask, fins and snorkel. Usually all of our dive gear goes with us. We got a smaller AKONA dive bag with wheels that is one of our carry on bags. We have it down to a science, it fits both BCs, regulators, masks and snorkles along with bathing suits and other small items for the plane. My short fins fit in as well, (we pack my husband's longer ones in the checked bag.) It has been a GREAT way to take everything with us so we know we have good, reliable gear that fits!

I hear ya on wanting to take your own fins. I did that for years, hauling around these huge dive fins (used just for snorkeling). Now I have a pair of travel fins that I love. I don't notice much of a difference in the use, and takes up much less weight and space in your suitcase.

http://www.amazon.com/Divers-Travel-Small-Mens-4-7-Womans/dp/B0030DEAUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378230339&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+fins

Thanks for that link...I always take my fins in my suitcase, and most times don't mind as they are light weight, but sometimes I pack light in a smaller case and they don't fit...these would be perfect.

Archived