Need help on birth, driver's, marriage license

USA41018

My PVP says that Miami is a port that may ask for a copy of marriage license to document the name change from birth certificate to driver's license. Our son and daughter-in-law and grandkids are going on their first cruise with us. Considering the cost of passports it is too expensive, probably be their only cruise anyway. Has anyone of you girl cruisers had a problem with name change when using birth certificate and driver's license. We leave in about 2 weeks. I'm sure it has been discussed before but like anything if it doesn't pertain to you you really don't pay attention to the discussion. Please Help Me.

My first 3 cruises were with my BC, DL and marriage certificate. Never got asked for my marriage cert at all. I had it ready with all my other docs though at customs checks. With all three documents, she should be fine to travel on a closed loop cruise.

My PVP says that Miami is a port that may ask for a copy of marriage license to document the name change from birth certificate to driver's license. Our son and daughter-in-law and grandkids are going on their first cruise with us. Considering the cost of passports it is too expensive, probably be their only cruise anyway. Has anyone of you girl cruisers had a problem with name change when using birth certificate and driver's license. We leave in about 2 weeks. I'm sure it has been discussed before but like anything if it doesn't pertain to you you really don't pay attention to the discussion. Please Help Me.

I've sailed out of Miami a few times with DH and kids with BC and DL and no one has ever asked for my ML. Nor did we have any issues.

You have time to order a certified copy online if it isn't convenient to go to the county office. The cost is probably less than $30. I honestly don't know why you would want to take the risk of her not having it with. If they ask for it and she doesn't have it at checkin, then she will be denied boarding and everyone else will still get to sail.

It won't do any good to say that lots of women posted online that they didn't need their marriage license.

By the way, the trip insurance policies I buy do not cover not having the correct travel documents at checkin.

I agree with bringing the Marriage license; better safe than sorry. Not a big deal for me. I have been re-married almost 3 years now, it is always in my purse. I think I finally have everything changed over now, but just in case I forgot something.

I have been married for 5 years and haven't changed my passport name. Carnival accepts it so it hasn't been a priority. I do take my birth certificate and marriage certificate but no one has looked at it yet. I would suggest taking all you can just in case. They're just papers so they don't take up too much luggage space.

I think one of the reasons I was never asked for a ML to bridge my name was because we always had our kids with us with their BC's which showed my maiden name with DH's name connecting us on it. It sounds like OP's daughter-in-law, son, and grand kids will be all traveling together with their BC and DL and would all be connected the same way through their kids BC (unless the grandkids mentioned are not hers of course).

We've brought it on each of our cruises and haven't had to show it yet (they asked about it in Baltimore but didn't need to see it, I don't think that they even asked in Miami). But we will continue to bring it, just in case.

I think one of the reasons I was never asked for a ML to bridge my name was because we always had our kids with us with their BC's which showed my maiden name with DH's name connecting us on it. It sounds like OP's daughter-in-law, son, and grand kids will be all traveling together with their BC and DL and would all be connected the same way through their kids BC (unless the grandkids mentioned are not hers of course).

Thanks for that bit of information, very useful. Yes, they will have 3 of their children traveling with BCs so they will be connected through their kids BCs. Today, I went to the Courthouse and obtained a copy of their marriage license/certificate. It's just a copy, not certified, but obtained directly from the county. We feel quite comfortable that we are completely covered. I really appreciate all the information I received here. I have been cruising for 9 years, total 29 cruises, and I know you can always find out anything you need to know here on Cruise Critic. Thanks again, members.

Archived