Cagney's on the JADE

jayjaycan

We sailed on the Dawn in Jan. and booked a reservation at Cagney's. It was a major disappointment. I ordered the rib eye steak med.rare with a baked potatoe. The steak was extremely well done to the point of dryness and the baked potatoe was only half cooked and cold, not room temp ...cold.

I returned both to the kitchen. The second steak was cooked right but there was more bone, fat and grissle fhan meat. The baked potatoe was hot but still only partially cooked. I left most of it unfinished.

DW ordered the filet med. rare and it arrived over cooked but she ate it anyway, without complaint.

It appears I am a bear for punishment. We are sailing on the Jade in Oct. snd we are thinking about trying Cagney`s again. Can somebody who has eaten in this reataurant on the Jade provide some recommendations?

Bison strip?

Lamb chops?

Grilled sea bass? (although my normal rule is no fish in a steakhouse)

Thanks for all your responses.

The Cagney's brand across all the ships is pretty true to the same - we have eaten on multiple ships (including Jade) and we like it. But we really prefer to eat the steak in Le Bistro. It is an excellent cut of meat and you have the added bonus of other foods to choose from that are not "steak house" average.

You may want to try Le Bistro this trip. We love it.

We sailed on the Dawn in Jan. and booked a reservation at Cagney's. It was a major disappointment. I ordered the rib eye steak med.rare with a baked potatoe. The steak was extremely well done to the point of dryness and the baked potatoe was only half cooked and cold, not room temp ...cold.

I returned both to the kitchen. The second steak was cooked right but there was more bone, fat and grissle fhan meat. The baked potatoe was hot but still only partially cooked. I left most of it unfinished.

DW ordered the filet med. rare and it arrived over cooked but she ate it anyway, without complaint.

It appears I am a bear for punishment. We are sailing on the Jade in Oct. snd we are thinking about trying Cagney`s again. Can somebody who has eaten in this reataurant on the Jade provide some recommendations?

Bison strip?

Lamb chops?

Grilled sea bass? (although my normal rule is no fish in a steakhouse)

Thanks for all your responses.

I had the Lamb Chops on our recent Jade trip........they were delicious.....and I'm fussy!! :o

DH had 14oz New York Strip........cooked just as he asked for......medium/well-done......he loved THAT!

We shared desserts......Oreo cheesecake and Decadent Chocolate Fudge Brownie.........the cheesecake was amazing.......and I don't *do* desserts!! :)

Hope that helps a little? :)

Cagney's has a new menu that is a vast improvement over the old from a quality standpoint.

I'd give it another go. I'll be curious to see how the Star matches up in a couple of weeks compared to our experience on the Breakaway in April.

If there is consistency across the fleet, it should be very good.

I can't speak to Cagney's on the Jade for dinner, but we had dinner at Cagney's on the Jewel a few years ago and it was one of the worst meals we've ever had anywhere, land or sea. Steak cooked wrong, cold veggies, lobster bisque that was just awful. We aren't that picky, but this was just low quality food badly prepared.

We then tried Le Bistro on the Gem and it was wonderful.

We have eaten at Cagney's on most NCL ships and gave up on steaks and prime rib many cruises ago. I can't count the number of times we've sent back steaks and prime rib for being over done to under done to frozen in the middle. But like the shrimp cocktail which we'll have at least 2 each and salmon oscar.

Ships Pearl Sun Star Jewel Epic Jade

During our most recent 14 days on the Jade a few weeks ago, we had breakfast there several times, lunch once or twice and dinner twice. Food was uniformly delicious, as was the service, especially during dinner time. The lobster tail and the filet mignon were succulent and just perfectly prepared. In the Haven, they serve food from Cagney for breakfast and lunch as well, and the service by Maryvik was impeccable.

However, the eggs Benedict with crab cake was very dry when we ordered it via room service through our butler in the morning.

Thanks everyone that was the type of feedback I was looking for. We ate in Le Bistro while on the Dawn and it was excellent in every aspect. We figured Cagney's was a one off but it made us think twice about throwing our money away s second time.

We will give Cagney's another try but may try something other than steak'

The Cagney's brand across all the ships is pretty true to the same - we have eaten on multiple ships (including Jade) and we like it. But we really prefer to eat the steak in Le Bistro. It is an excellent cut of meat and you have the added bonus of other foods to choose from that are not "steak house" average.

You may want to try Le Bistro this trip. We love it.

That was our experience absolutely, and was the same on Gem. Le Bistro will serve, if asked, anything from the Cagneys menu which they do not show. We do not Cagney anymore but do Le Bistro which is far superior in service terms also.

Thanks everyone that was the type of feedback I was looking for. We ate in Le Bistro while on the Dawn and it was excellent in every aspect. We figured Cagney's was a one off but it made us think twice about throwing our money away s second time.

We will give Cagney's another try but may try something other than steak'

If you like steak I would give it another go. Part of Cagney's new menu is improved quality in the cuts of beef they are using.

Archived