Balcony Dividers

cjnwildfire

Nope. I hear you can just tell your room steward once on board and they can open it. I also understand that this can't be done on all ships/rooms. Hopefully someone can give you more details on that.
That is true. We were on a cruise where there were a group of 4 or 5 couples who always booked balconies side by side and then had the dividers opened to create one large balcony. Neat idea.

Except one of the dividers was permanent.:mad: I don't know if they were able to resolve anything or not but they were not happy sailors when they found out.

Charlie

We have always had to go to Guest Services to request the dividers be opened. Someone in each room has to sign a form. I think they keep tract of how many are being opened. I heard they only allow so many on each sailing to be opened but don't why that would be an issue.

Maintenance comes to open them. Never had the room steward do it. Think you have to have some sort of tool to do it.

We asked our room steward to open the divider. However, the balcony room doors were "next to each other" with only the divider in the middle so once the divider was opened, it swings like a door, then it blocked the room door. After a day of that we had the room steward lock it back up since it would bang around in the wind. Had we had the cabin on the other side of our friends or vice versa then the divider could have been opened without blocking the room door.

The Spirit class ship dividers are hinged at the railing. They swing toward the railing if opened. They only have so many clamps to hold them. That's why they are limited to a certain number that can be opened.

On the Triumph/Conquest/Dream/Sunshine class, the are hinged at the bulkhead and they will only open the ones that are between the windows of two adjoining cabins. You have to go to Guest Services (Both cabins) to request it being opened. They will check to see if the two cabins are the right configuration. If so, they will send Maintenance or in our case, the steward did it. There is a hook at the top of the divider that hooks in the bulkhead to keep it in the opened position.

I have read on here where people have opened them themselves. You just need to stick something square in the locking mechanism and turn it.

We have had times (depends on the ship) where the balconies could not be opened-for instance on the spirit- we had OS far aft, vista suite and aft balcony. We could have the barrier between vista and OS opened but would not open the aft as they said none of them could be opened. Something about wind. Many times we have had our side to side rooms opened. Sometimes we just ask the room steward and other times we have to go to Guest services sometimes only one of us other times both. I think it depends on the ship. We have never had to sign anything tho.

I have this same question. I will be on the Victory in 2 weeks with side by side rooms on the Lido deck. Does anyone know how the dividers in this ship work?

They are hinged at the bulkhead. If it's between the two windows, they can swing it open and secure it to the bulkhead partially blocking one of the windows. If it's between the two doors, they won't open it because it will block one of the doors when secured in the open position.

On one of our cruises (can't remember which one), we booked an aft cabin right next to our friends aft. The PVP ASSURED us that the divider between the two balconies could be opened (which is why we booked these cabins side by side). Well, when we boarded, we went to guest services to request the divider be opened. The girl looked up our cabin number on some sort of list she had behind the counter, then told us that it couldn't be done. We were SO disappointed....

We had it opened on our Pride cruise in 2012, and the Breeze this year. When they opened it on the Pride, it didn't stay flush against the room wall, so it "wasted" alot of space, however, on the Breeze, it went right up against the wall, truly making it one LARGE balcony. It was great!!!!!!!:D:D

I believe Maintenance did it on the Pride, and our room steward on the Breeze. They have a neat little tool, and it takes all of 30 seconds to open it and secure it. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!:D:D

Archived