Going through Immigration in Europe

lizf

Does anyone know when you change planes in an airport in Europe and are going to a different country as your destination, do you go through immigration at the first airport you change at from the US? I'm trying decide whether to sit in the front of the aircraft for an overnight flight or towards the back where there is sometimes more space (empty seats).

We fly from Los Angeles to Frankfurt, change planes, then go on to our final destination which is Lisbon. I think the same rule would apply even if you were using two different places in Europe. Thanks. Liz

1.Re: US Immigration & Customs--All arriving pax must go through these formalities at their FIRST port of arrival n the USA.

2.We have not transferred in Frankfurt, so will leave it to others to

answer specifically. However, when held 'in transit' lounges for an

international flight leaving from the same terminal you generally do not

have to not have to go through [e.g. German] immigration. This can

vary if you need to change terminals and does not apply when you

are making a domestic connection. In your case, I believe that

your luggage will be transferred to the 2nd flight and you will

not have to claim it.

You clear EU customs at your first port of entry. So, even though you are just transiting through Frankfurt, that's where you'll clear customs and immigration. Ususually quite fast and efficient though sometimes, for reasons we haven't been able to fathom, there can be a back-up for non-EU travellers. At Frankfurt, I'd want at least an hour for the connection since that airport has been under renovation for years now.

Going through customs in Europe is a lot easier than in U.S. We went through customs many times in London, and it was a breeze. In Frankfurt, it was even easier, I was not sure the stamping officer even looked at us, he just stamped the passports robotically! The Frankfurt airport is huge, so be prepared to walk, or prebook a "golf cart".

Since you go through customs at arrival at the first airport we have always (dozens of trips) had to collect our luggage and walk it through customs. On the other side their is generally a conveyor to place your bags on, since they are checked to your final destination. Relatively painless. The one exception is if you booked each leg of your journey separately and the airlines don't have an agreement. This can happen even on 2 US based carriers (think Southwest and America West!)

Portolan- We have 3 hours between planes.

Thanks Meow, I know London is easy, just didn't know where to sit on the plane, front or back of coach, to get in line. I won't worry if its easier than LHR. I really love that airport with their transportation system and of course the shops. :D

We have never flown through Germany before. I like to book the back of the airplane for extra seats and that can be a killer where you have to get in line for an entrance Visa.

Phoenix, you must be talking about re-entering the U.S., that really is a mess and we've done that many times. Chicago is to be avoided for that but then most of the time our luggage hasn't made it on the same plane. :confused: But it is easier then. :)

Call your airline a couple of days ahead of time. Tell them that you need assistance at the airport. There are several levels of assistance, from wheel chair with someone to get you into and out of your seat, to "golf cart" transportation. (Some airports don't have golf carts, then you just have to sit in a wheel chair: it may be embarrassing but it is comfortable, and they have to make sure that you get to the plane on time!)

Tell them the level of assistance you need (cannot walk too far, cannot go up stairs, etc.) and make sure they put the information on your (booking/electronic) file. Also make sure that they put that note on every flight segment of your journey (for which you may need this service), including connections between flights!

Then whenever you go to an airport to check in (or when you deplane for a connection), tell the agent at the airline counter (or at the door of the plane you are leaving) that you have pre-booked a "golf cart", and they will take it from there (and you have to follow their instructions). Generally speaking (though there are individual variations), Europeans are more "sympathetic" to the "handicapped" than Americans, and you are more likely to get better service in this aspect in Europe. Hope this helps.

lizf, I was talking about entering Europe. I know Southwest doesn't fly there, but it is the best example of non-cooperation among airlines. We have flown into Paris on US Airways and then had to pick up our bags and recheck in, go through security again, etc. because we booked our on-going flight separately on a different airline.

I have never cleared customs in transit at Heathrow or anywhere for that matter. You go to a transit area and you do have to go through security but you don't collect your luggage until you get to your final destination. So get a good seat on the airplane unless you have a quick connecting flight.

I've flown through Frankfurt from the US twice (2001, 2004) and neither time had to claim the luggage, it went directly on to the final destination. One time was on United, most recently on Lufthansa. You do have to go through "Passport Control" however, which as someone stated is rather just a formality, I don't think they even asked us where we were going. Be sure and get in the line for Non European Union citizens.... The 2004 trip ended in London where we did have to go through a more formal quizzing on why we were entering Britian, however this was before we claimed the luggage.

Joe

Just returned from Europe. Flew from Copenhagen to Amsterdam to JFK. I was able to check my bags all the way through. We did not go through passport control until we reached Amsterdam. There is none within the EU. I have no idea if this works in reverse, however.

Archived