Silver Galapagos Near to Sailing

5waldos

We are all ready to book Silver Galapagos next May to celebrate our daughter's college graduation. That would mean Alan and I along with our 24 year old son and 22 year old daughter. I had assumed the islands would be entertainment and that their would be other families aboard. In reading through some of the other threads regarding children and SS, I am concerned that maybe we should be considering a different line for trip.

I know Silver Galapagos hasn't sailed yet, but these trips are booking out and I am anxious to get our trip settled.

What do you all think? Will the older kids enjoy themselves? Will fellow cruisers not enjoy having twenty-somethings on board? Is anyone else bringing older children?

Your advice will be appreciated!

Thanx for the copy of the letter. I assume the Discoverer will be quite similar. To the OP, I think your children sound more like adults and can decide if they will enjoy it or not. We have been to the Galapagos and I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't be mesmerized by the trip!

Thanks for posting the letter. I am wondering how to inteprete a couple of items- hardly critical but when they say you cannot bring flowers, for example, into the Galapagos- does that also mean onboard the ship? Or would that mean off the ship onto the islands- which certainly would be forbidden. Anyone have any thoughts or even-gasp-facts here?

Edited by 5waldos

My kids, 22 and 27, would love it. The 22 yr old has actually been to the Galapagos before when he was 16 on celebrity xpedition. Here were 2 kids younger than him, with whom he spent no time at all. But he had a great time, and would love to go again.

Thanks for the information and I look forward to reading the early reviews. We are looking at the April 19th cruise. We are relatively new to cruising as we normally prefer land vacations but we are excited at the prospect of seeing this amazing piece of our planet. Our three past cruises have all been on mass market lines so this will be out first "luxury" cruise. I plan to learn all I can about Silversea and in particular the Silver Galapagos. :)

My wife and I are booked on the December 7 eastern and northern island cruise. We are also on the per-cruise Machu Pichu excursion arriving one day earlier in Lima to acclimate. We are also curious about other cruisers experiences when Silverseas takes over. Our expectation are high having been on multiple other Silverseas trips.

We too are booked on the pre-cruise Machu Picchu excursion and then the cruise. We will be going right in the middle of the rainy season (first week of February). I am wondering if this will inhibit us in any way. Can someone help? So looking forward to this.

A few years ago, they had massive mud slides in Peru due to heavy rains during this season. The mudslides covered the railroad track from Cuzco to Macchu Picchu, and a lot of tourists were stranded. I remember because one group was on a Regent cruise, and Regent actually sent a helicopter for them. Hopefully, nothing like this will happen to you, but if it does, since you are on the silversea sponsored pre-cruise, they would (again hopefully) make an attempt to rescue you.

My wife and I are booked on the December 7 eastern and northern island cruise. We are also on the per-cruise Machu Pichu excursion arriving one day earlier in Lima to acclimate. We are also curious about other cruisers experiences when Silverseas takes over. Our expectation are high having been on multiple other Silverseas trips.

Lima is at sea level, so that won't help acclimate. After a short flight you will be in Cuzco at about 11,000 feet. I recommend that you consider taking acetazolamide (Diamox) to help ward off altitude sickness. Check with your doctor to make sure that you have no contraindications, such as sulfa drug allergy. This worked very well for us doing a SS Machu Picchu excursion in 2004.

Regarding rainy season, we had some rain in March 2004, but it was still great fun. Please search for the thread "Machu Pichu Help ??" in this forum for a couple of photos in the rain.

We are on the November 9th cruise and they told me laundry will be included in certain categories of rooms. We received our welcome letter from the Silver Galapagos and have a call it to them on a few conflicting items in the welcome letter and on the brochure. They are no big deal just small items, nothing earth shattering. Looks like they will be giving out a waterproof backpack and metal water bottle to each guest. Will post from the ship or soon after we get back. We will also try to post info regarding the pre-cruise Machu Picchu itinerary.

After looking into it further, no laundry will be included and no self service laundry machines. Only pay as you go for laundry.

If it's a similar backpack as to the one we were given on the explorer it's only water resistant.

Bring some ziplock or other bags if you are looking for actually keeping the water out. If you were to drop the back pack they gave us on the explorer into the water I don't think it would float nor do I think it would be waterproof. I would check on exactly what the backpack is before putting my camera or anything else in it and expecting it to be waterproof.

As mentioned I brought ziplock bags

With me.

We also did not use suitcases except for small one to check for breakable items. We used duffel bags to pack our gear. They fit easily under the Bed and worked well.

As far as clothes to wear, I would bring layers and stuff you can wash out and hang dry quickly.

Even in the arctic, at night the dress was a little glitzy.

Just heard from some folks on the inaugural. It is evidently a challenge! I think everyone expected that.

Could you expand on that just a wee bit?

And funny- I was just about to comment that Silversea cruisers were slackers- what- they've been off the ship for a couple of hours already- cruisers on certain other lines (won't specify) would have had long reviews and pictures posted by now! Come on people! (ok- joke-joke- not serious-just kidding here)

Booked on March 1st & anxious to get some feedback. Expecting 1st few trips out there will be issues, hoping by March that they will be resolved. Sounds like most of you are heading out before us. We are booked in the terrace suite at the front of the ship with my brother & nephew in the 2nd terrace suite & nobody can give us the exact situation with the deck that is at the front of the ship. When it was 1st presented it sounded as though it was our private area to share but now we see the door is in the hallway, not off our room & it isn't just for us. The drawings of the floor plan don't make it easy to visualize, so I would love to hear from someone who has been on the ship about that area.

I sure wish we could hear some feedback from folks on this cruise. It may be a number of weeks until a CC takes this cruise and posts a report but as I don't sail until the 19th of April I am confident that we will have ample information. Someone mentioned, a few posts back, about friends who were on last week. Please come back with details!